• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camo~ patterns and techniques for firearms, bows and gear

Ooohhh boy! That's some ching there. Mo money mo money mo money....
I wish him well in this endeavour...
I'm sure it will be a fun journey...

well I haven't had time to do a lot of posting but I learned a ton about this this summer

My son started a hydro-graphics business in Merlin over the summer. There is actually a lot to it that makes the difference between a backyard job and a professional type job
He has the heated recirculating tank, guns.....all the stuff. He already has done a couple guns, lots of car parts, animal skulls for hunters and other stuff

He did some stuff for his car that he was showing me, mounted to his car. I thought it was cool but said " as soon as you take that through the brush its probably not doing to good?"......he took out his keys and keyed the crap hard enough that it would have peeled car paint......I was impressed.

He is doing my 18" for a Fathers Day gift, Kryptec Highlander.
After he ran me through the "professional" process and keyed his car I have no issues putting this on my rifle.

I think he is going to do good, there really is only one more place in Southern Oregon that does this and its hard to get them or find info on them

I am going to weld him a big stainless tank this winter, should be cool

Hey Oli, can you find out from your son how he does that? Maybe shoot me a link or something? My cousins doin' it. When he told me he was settin' up for it I was like "cool, let me know how it works out, I have a couple of rifles I want you to do." Fast forward a year or so, he's got all the professional equipment too mind you, he wont do my gun's. He's does car dashes, deer skulls, mounting plaques, magazines, holsters, etc and it all looks awesome. He did his 870 and it didn't hold up for $&#@ so he has since shied away from guns. Maybe if you had some info I could pass his way I could finally get him doin' my guns.

This winter I can dig int it when he does mine. He has done a couple AR a Glock an M&P so far and he really isn't even in full business mode yet.....has a day job

When he gets settled in, find out what he's going to charge and let us know.

I understand the patterns are different prices. I'm just talking about labor and such.

Maybe we can drum him up some business when he's ready to get started.

Can you at least give us a few tips? im wanting to dip the AR i'm building for my pops Im close to the point of ordering a kit. all parts are here, and mostly assembled. im thinking i should do the dip before final assembly and load work up.

The water temp needs to be around 70 degrees when you dip it.

Also, hot water will make the pattern fade when you rinse it off if it's too hot.

Quality clear coat will make or break the dip. Cheap out on that and it's not going to last long.

If you dip the receivers while they're together, will turn out better overall because it'll look like they're one piece, rather than the pattern not matching up.

You can double dip an area if it's missing coverage, but don't get too carried away. You don't want to double dip a too large of an area because it'll get very dark form too much film.

Also, use masking tape around the edge of the film because that will help the film float as you are pushing the parts down through it.

Can you at least give us a few tips? im wanting to dip the AR i'm building for my pops Im close to the point of ordering a kit. all parts are here, and mostly assembled. im thinking i should do the dip before final assembly and load work up.

Hydrodip.com has kits ive been looking into

Order direct from liquid print in Texas and cut out the middle man and save a few bucks ;)

1 meter of film will do a long gun, plus get a can of spray activator, and you can use tan spray paint as a base coat, or tan duracoat will also do well.

auto clearcoat does better than rattle can clear they sell.

He was telling me about not letting the base coat cure before dip ....and he is using some spendy base coat , not dura or cera, something that is paint made just for hydro dip application .....
He has been taking some training from one of the film places he tells me......talking to them on the phone getting tips from the applicators and wasted a butt load of film learning the secrets of the trade.
We'll see after I rough up my rifle but if it's like the car parts he is doing I'll be happy, if it sucks I'll tell you......and him LOL

Considering the gunskins for the 835.

Anyone have any concerns about applying it to the barrel or receiver?

I would go for it because you probably don't go around getting the barrel super hot mag dumping and such.

I sent a message to gunskins through their page on FB. I asked if they carry the Kryptek stuff, that I had seen a post on arfcom about their products and in the thread was a rifle with the kryptek.

They said they've never carried the kryptek before ... But! They will have it available in a few weeks. They will have the highlander, mandrake, nomad, yeti, and typhon.

I will wait for the mandrake.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Mandrake is pretty dark, kinda like boreal forest dark . I could get away with most patterns because there are a lot of vegetation types here but I think it makes since to have the transition type camouflage because there is a ton of transitioning from one to another veg type

The mandrake does look dark in that example. I've seen others that look lighter and GunSkins has said some of their patterns appear lighter than the original because they begin with a white background.

In this example, the mandrake looks lighter.

image.jpg

I think the highlander would work later in the season, or in the fields after they've been harvested, but for the woods I think the mandrake will do nicely.

The Kryptek patterns definitely look different when applied. Here is their Highlander...

It's much more tan and brown based than in their photos. To me, the Mandrake looks like the Highlander photos when applied and the Highlander looks like the Nomad photos....

those look much better......you get much snow Brad ?

My kid did his AR in Typhoon. My thought initially for one of mine. Its not much for the camo side of things but I really think its hard to look better than just a black AR. Then I was thinking the reduced pattern would be sweet since the AR doesn't offer much real estate and I thought the pattern would be better . So like any good son that want to be like dad, no matter what they say, he ran off and did his.
It looks sweet, but I wont be doing the reduced pattern.......and I'm going highlander most likely

Although have you guys seen the black Multicam.....pretty sweet but I don't see it blending in with much, still probably better than an all black in the wild

I do like that multicam black! It would be for looks if I were ever to go that route.

We do get a decent bit of snow. Last two years its been 35 below, and we were getting 8 to ten inches of snow at a time and record cold since the mid 70's. We don't get the snow buffalo or the Great Lake areas do, but what we get stays around for awhile. The wooded areas stay a mix of green and brown.

Back