• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camp stoves and lanterns

If I remember right, from the research I did years ago, even the vintage Dietz were stamped in China. You have to go way, way back for American made Dietz

Okay. Maybe not as far as I thought. It appears production in Hong Kong started in 1956. But it was produced on original tooling and dies.

https://www.lanternnet.com/history.htm

Here's a very detailed timeline of the Dietz company

Last edited:
A buddy and I got to messaging about lanterns, he likes the old railroad style signal lanterns, so I got one of my Chinese oil lanterns down and lit it up. Just because it's been awhile.

0252f0bc72d9cba8cf10f78eb7df03df.jpg
3b712ea5157c27ddd527181a790e472b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Yeah I have 3 import ones. IIT (Illinois industrial tool) brand I think. They work pretty okay. Only thing I've noticed is the fuel seeps out of the fount over time. Not enough to leave a puddle. It may take a year or so for a full fount to seep out.

Far right is my Dietz, middle 3 are import, far left is an led decoration from tractor supply. Lol
cbc3a8f0ec2bdad09e1a5fa867e3eaf5.jpg

See I,just like,those alotaloy better than what we keep in house the wife has a few of,the old all,glass ones they look nice and wont,rust. BUT not the safest to,try and walk down hallway etc...., those rail style just make sense to,me. Nice collection !!

We camp with a Ural Retro motorcycle and sidecar outfit, towing a tiny Trailmaster Aspen Classic tent trailer, (king-size bed). Our lantern and stove are both propane. I use a clamp-on distribution pole.

We use a 6lb aluminum Worthington upright tank mounted on the trailer tongue using an oxygen tank bracket made for fire trucks. Fits the tank perfectly!

PicsArt_02-08-10.49.01.jpg

Here you can see the tank mounted behind the Whynter 45 qt expedition fridge on the tongue. Cumberland Head ferry crossing Lake Champlain.

PicsArt_02-08-10.51.22.jpg

Here's how we set it up at camp. I use the red tie-down strap that holds the tank on the tongue to hold the tank to the table when we're not cooking under the canopy.

PicsArt_02-08-10.50.17.jpg

And here's our rig in travel mode, (top), and set up, (bottom), with the kitchen under the canopy. This is one of the water sites at Ausable Point state park in Peru NY.

PicsArt_02-08-10.53.55.jpg

Yeah, we camp!

The Ural was a gift from a fellow vet. We were both fighting cancer. I survived, he did not, (may he rest easy).

The machine has changed our lives. With a few modifications, I can drive it well with my disabilities, and the Mrs loves cruising, (at 50mph), old skool kool. It's the most fun you can have going slow down a country road with your clothes on!

The Ural was a gift from a fellow vet. We were both fighting cancer. I survived, he did not, (may he rest easy).

The machine has changed our lives. With a few modifications, I can drive it well with my disabilities, and the Mrs loves cruising, (at 50mph), old skool kool. It's the most fun you can have going slow down a country road with your clothes on!
Done a wee bit of camping up,that way. Cranberry Lake was a favorite, Saranac lake also. 87 - 93 in that area.

That is one AMAZING motorcycle. WOW.

Six, thanks for your service. I have a friend in Nebraska that owns a small independent motorcycle shop. About three years ago he became a Ural dealer. They fascinate me, but are out of my price range. Thanks for posting the pics.

Get a used one. Go to SovietSteeds dot com and jump right into the deep end. You can get decent used urals pretty cheap. Mine's only worth about $6k.

They're finicky, so be prepared to tinker and do regular maintenance. These are more like lawnmowers & tractors than motorcycles. They're slow, but will do 55mph all day. You drive them like an atv/four wheeler, you don't ride them.

But ... There is NOTHING like the feeling of putting into the parking lot full of $40k Harley or BMW riders, and have them ALL come scurrying over to check it out. And when you leave, you can kick-start it and watch all the jaws drop, (and the little tears that form in the corners of the old-timer's eyes). Yes, you can electric start it, but why?

They're amazing that way. It's changed our lives, really. We're no longer in a big rush to get anywhere, partly because you can't on these, but mostly because you 'feel' more going slow. I'm convinced the change and fresh air helped me beat cancer.

It's travel by immersion.

PicsArt_02-11-02.05.42.jpg

0215191211.jpg 0215191212.jpg 0215191212a.jpg Made mistake stopped in pawn shop, oh what did is see ???? M1950 A U.S Wyott , hmmm it does not have the nest pot and cup, bummer. I'm literally sitting in park lot giggling. I will start the hunt to,complete it. 25 bucs after a little haggle. Headed home see if it burns, I does hold pressure though.

Last edited:
Well the M1950, fired up after a little coaxing , used some white gas. You'll,have ti trust me,blue flame aint showing up but its hot and dang it LOL LOUD!! not stealthy at all, two pics initial heat up yellow then the super hot nice blue.0215191358.jpg 0215191402.jpg

I bet those looked really good new. You should restore it ,or would that lower the value?

Very oldskool kool.
You can find in very prestine shape on eBay, more money of,course. No value for me, not a collector. I'm purely user level, I'm all about function in field, so good,grab for my usage. I can say after,just a bit of,time. Its a sturdy rugged gas burner. VERY HOT, Great water boiler, for cooking actual meals may not,be best choice its on or off for most part. So if I'm makin coffee tea or boil bag meals an option on those trips. If,we "glamping" not best unless plan to also,cook over fire.
Either way its cool, I,like it has its place, hope,I find the case pot and cup at,some,point.

Back