• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can I shoot Magnum Shotgun Slugs with my Maverick 88?

Absolutely.... As long as its 2 3/4 or 3" shells. And make sure you're not running a full choke (I've shot slugs through IC and M without issues)

Just realized... Do you have an 88 pump.... Or the over/under? I'm not familiar with O/U's but I do believe the above still applies. Someone will interject if I'm wrong ;)

Yes! You can shoot anything that fits within the gauge and length ( i.e. 2 3/4", 3" 3.5") rating for your barrel. Shooting slugs through a full choke most like won't blow your gun up but repeated use could stress the metal and cause a failure down the road so I would avoid doing it if possible.

Unlike some handgun cartridges there really isn't a +P or +P+ variety that you have to be carefull off, anything for your gauge will be OK.

aksavanaman said:
Absolutely.... As long as its 2 3/4 or 3" shells. And make sure you're not running a full choke (I've shot slugs through IC and M without issues)

Just realized... Do you have an 88 pump.... Or the over/under? I'm not familiar with O/U's but I do believe the above still applies. Someone will interject if I'm wrong ;)

Well, the barrel is exactly like when I bought it. That is my shotgun.

So I can shoot Magnum cartridges with no problem?

MikeD said:
Yes! You can shoot anything that fits within the gauge and length ( i.e. 2 3/4", 3" 3.5") rating for your barrel. Shooting slugs through a full choke most like won't blow your gun up but repeated use could stress the metal and cause a failure down the road so I would avoid doing it if possible.

Unlike some handgun cartridges there really isn't a +P or +P+ variety that you have to be carefull off, anything for your gauge will be OK.

So no problem with magnum cartridges?

emaroquin said:
MikeD said:

So no problem with magnum cartridges?

No problem with Magnum cartridges.

With a pistol grip your wrist may say otherwise but the gun will be fine.

Like the guys said,,,yes you can shoot magnum shells as long as they are 2 3/4" or 3" which is what your Mav 88 12ga is chambered for.

I'd second MikeD regarding magnums in your pistol grip only. I think you'd have some considerable problems controlling it and getting back on target. A 3" magnum pushing 1 1/8th or 1 1/4 oz or more at high speed out of a light gun is going to kick like my grandma's mule. Good luck with it. :shock:

emaroquin said:
NYmossyMike said:
Ouch! Your 88 will do it, but...ouch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Why ouch?

Have you shot a traditional shotgun with a shoulder stock yet? If the propper technique isn't used while shooting pistol grip only, your wrist is taking the full force of the recoil... Which is quite considerable with magnum 3" shells!

aksavanaman said:
emaroquin said:
NYmossyMike said:
Ouch! Your 88 will do it, but...ouch.

Why ouch?

Have you shot a traditional shotgun with a shoulder stock yet? If the propper technique isn't used while shooting pistol grip only, your wrist is taking the full force of the recoil... Which is quite considerable with magnum 3" shells!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I get the feeling that Mr. emaroquin may have to learn the hard way. ;)

Even if it hurts with the pistol grip, i prefer using it than the shoulder stock. With shoulder stock you get slow, while with the pistol grip I am very fast. Eveb if my hand hurts like for a week and a half.

I will change the pistol grip for a tactical shoulder stock which has pistol grip and shoulder stock combined.

emaroquin said:
Even if it hurts with the pistol grip, i prefer using it than the shoulder stock. With shoulder stock you get slow, while with the pistol grip I am very fast. Eveb if my hand hurts like for a week and a half.

I will change the pistol grip for a tactical shoulder stock which has pistol grip and shoulder stock combined.

Well, your call. Personally, I prefer accurate to fast. :)

GunnyGene said:
emaroquin said:

Well, your call. Personally, I prefer accurate to fast. :)

But with the tactical one you are fast and accurate.
Well, I want it for defensive purpose, I think its enough accurate for home defense distance. Still I'll buy the tactical.

In a home defense situation you don't need fast, you need accurate. Even with a shotgun you want a clean accurate shot if you god forbid need to pull the trigger. The bonus to a shotgun is all you really need is one accurate shot and threat is over.

NYmossyMike said:
In a home defense situation you don't need fast, you need accurate. Even with a shotgun you want a clean accurate shot if you god forbid need to pull the trigger. The bonus to a shotgun is all you really need is one accurate shot and threat is over.

Not in this part of the world!! While your threat is one guy, here the intruders may be 3, 4 or even 5, yes you have to be fast. Here houses are made with block and steel inside, or brick and steel, in my case walls are very thick so its kind of difficult that a shotgun could pass through the wall. But I want to buy slugs, so it can be more efective on the intruder.

emaroquin said:
Why ouch?

The guys are trying to save you from learning why the hard way.

Go buy a few boxes of 3 inch magnum slugs, fill up your gun and set up 5 targets and shoot them as fast as you physically can and then get back to us. Extra points if you stay all within the vital area's and if you can do it in less than 4 seconds with the pistol grip.

emaroquin said:
Not in this part of the world!! While your threat is one guy, here the intruders may be 3, 4 or even 5, yes you have to be fast. Here houses are made with block and steel inside, or brick and steel, in my case walls are very thick so its kind of difficult that a shotgun could pass through the wall. But I want to buy slugs, so it can be more efective on the intruder.

I may have misunderstood, but just about anyone can shoot fast. But you gain nothing if you cannot place the shots accurately.

3 inch slugs will be slower to follow up with than say, reduced recoil or managed recoil 2 3/4 inch slugs or whatever you want to call it and you really don't lose any effective penetration while maintaining control by using them.

With or without a buttstock.

It's easy to sit back and say I want the shortest gun with the strongest most powerful load known to all of mankind, but most folks simply have enough physical limitations that if you intend to use 3 inch magnums within the confines of a building or dwelling, just do not make very much sense for NUMEROUS reasons.

And just for the record, it would be difficult for any one person to survive a shootout with 3 or 4 or 5 assailants, no matter what you are armed with or how good you think you are. Not to sound condescending, but that's just truth.

If you have 5 people firing handguns at you, combined, could probably put upwards of 60 to maybe 75 bullets in your general direction in a mere 5 seconds.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I cannot think of any hunting, HD, etc. where I would ever , ever, ever sacrifice accuracy for speed.

The only exception would be just fun shooting at the sand pit or range.

Don't take the comments here as criticism as much as people who have a bit of experience with the type of equipment you are inquiring about trying to understand the whys and wherefores of what you are trying to accomplish.

Many of us have tried pistol grips, heavy magnum loads, etc. as part of our own learning curve and are only trying to help you to have a more pleasant experience.

I am a guy that has always loved big handguns. I'm not scared of recoil but I will be the first to tell you that a pistol grip shotgun can be a painfully brutal beast to control and shoot, esp. with heavier than normal loads.

Back