• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can my shotgun shoot 50gr shells?

I bought the Rio Royal Buck, 00 Buckshot. It is 2 3/4 and 1345 fps, but it has 50 gr, so I guess its a Magnum Shot right?
So my questions are:
Can I shoot these cartridges without damaging the barrel of my shotgun?
Can these shells blow off the chamber?
Someone told me the maximum charge I could use with these shotguns is 36 gr. Is that true?

BTW, my shotgun is the Maverick 88.

I´m uploading the pictures of my shotgun and a 36gr shotgun shell compared to the 50gr shotgun shell I´m talking.

Attachments

• Camera (2573).JPG
    Camera (2573).JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Camera (3410).JPG
    Camera (3410).JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 13
Yes you can. Your Mav88 is chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells.

No,,,it's gonna give a good kick but as long as they are 2 3/4" or 3' shells your ok.

I shoot the Rio 00, and Brenneke 2 3/4" Green Lightning slugs, in my 25y old 590 Mariner fairly often. Never any problem, so you'll be fine. Btw, the Rio is not a Magnum, it's their standard 00. The only other Rio 12g 00 is the low recoil shell. Just need to be able to handle the kick, which is mostly a matter of technique.

Counting grains is really only relevant in Black Powder guns today. With so many variations in smokeless powders today I think it would be impossible to put a grain limit on guns.

Any factory 2 3/4 load you can buy should be able to be fired in your gun.

Back