• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CCI ammo lube fail?

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Recently my buddy the FFL ordered us a carton of CCI Mini-mag 100s, and they showed up after only 4 weeks.

Anyhow we opened two of the boxes and sent the rest back.

CCI was putting some kind of waxy lube on them, and they wouldn't feed well even in the bolt guns.

I wiped some down with Rem oil & they shot fine then, even in the Mossberg semi-auto (picky about ammo) but we just boxed the rest up and sent it back.

Anybody else see this problem?

I have not seen that. But, it's been about two years since I bought any CCI ammo. I haven't actually opened any of the boxes yet, so I don't know if it has the waxy lube or not.

None of my CCI has had any type of waxy lube on them, that I have used anyway. But then again I have so many CCI boxes that I bought and just put away and haven't really opened either. They were the MiniMag as well.

The batch he got in April had a totally different lube. They felt like Remington ELY to the touch.

I got some Chinese drill motor bearings that had a similar looking lube. Somebody told me it was "food grade" lube, commonly used in those for food conveyors etc. That stuff didn't wash off with paint thinner though.

The new CCI lube did, & felt more like cold lard to the touch.

Wow. Even in bolt guns? I've never (yet) encountered copper washed Mini-Mags that also had lube on the bullet. There really should be no need for lube. Weird.

Back