• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chinese Counterfiet Scopes

terry2425

.270 WIN
My oldest daughter has been buying items from China on a website for over two years with no problems. She showed me the website and I typed in rifle scopes and about 400 of them popped up. I started looking at the scopes and found a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50 for only $54 postage paid. That’s a $1400 scope! I thought what the heck for only $54 I’ll buy one. About 25 days later, the scope came. The scope appeared to be very well made with very clear optics. I called Leupold with the serial number and they confirmed it was a counterfeit. I put it on a 270 and headed to the range. I got it sighted in and it performed very well. I’ve since put over 100 rounds through the gun with the Chinese scope with no problems. It holds zero and has turned the 270 into a tack driver! I had a long visit with an expert on scopes and he told me that the counterfeit Leupolds and Nikons are made in the same factory as the real Nikons. Not sure if that’s true or not, but it makes sense to me. The counterfeit Leupold and Nikon scopes that I got from China are high quality and work just like the real ones. Maybe I just got lucky or they are really turning out quality scopes. I guess time will only tell.

Terry

Terry,
while I'm all for saving a buck, because I assure you there aren't many to go around with a family and my pay, I would rather spend my hard earned money on something that will benefit the U.S economy. Finding companies that solely produce their products here is already pretty tough, but not impossible. I've also found that many of the smaller U.S companies have great customer service and are honestly concerned with the quality of their product. I've got a Redfield scope that's made by Leupold, right here in Oregon... and for less then $200 it's been an outstanding performer. Now of course those price points don't really compare, and 50 bucks is a pretty good bargain. And of course, as always, what you choose to buy an use is entirely up to you, and I don't mean this as an attack on the quality of the chinese produced scopes.

Buying oversees products is unavoidable... I mean the laptop I'm using now certainly wasn't made by Americans, but I do the best I can to keep the $$$ in this country. Having bought MY fare share of the same oversees knock offs, I can assure you that I feel much better spending a few extra bucks knowing they're going back into the pockets of hard working Americans.

I think you probably got lucky but time will tell. It's really hit or miss with the counterfits. They are cheaper because they use lower grade metals, glass, etc. to make them. I know people that have used them with widely varying results.

You will eventually notice the difference in durability, ability to hold zero, moisture seals and low light clarity.

I'd use one on a plinker but I would feel uneasy with one on a hunting rifle or a home defense gun where that one shot could mean a lot. I've gone through a several cheap optics over the years and come to the conclusion that in the long run you get what you pay for. While I cannnot afford high end myself, I try to avoid the bottom tiers and knock offs unless I am just using it to play around with

Just my 2 cents.

Terry,

I'm not putting you down, nor am I discrediting the usability of the counterfeit scopes. But I made a personal decision a long time ago not to purchase anything made in China. They are our enemies, plain and simple. I won't purchase anything from Harbor Freight tools for that reason. (even though it's mighty tempting sometimes because of the prices and choices) Some might disagree with me and that's okay..............but I think giving money to the enemy is just degrading what we have here in America and is closely akin to "aiding and abetting". Just my opinion! On the other hand, it's almost impossible to keep from purchasing anything made in China because sometimes there are no options.

In my line of work we see counterfieting all the time.

Your buddy saying they're made in the same factories is likely 100% correct. Manufacturers hand over specs, then pay the factories to run say 5,000 units. The factory runs the requested 5,000, then runs another 5,000 without the manufacturers knowledge. The counterfiet items are virtually indistinguishable from the legitimate production and are sold on-line or in secondary markets. The factory owners make millions on top of what they're being paid by the manufacturers. Companies have added UPC or QRS codes to their products to track manufacturing, but it's made little to no impact on counterfieting. The corruption over there is out of control and as long as a few palms are getting greased along the way it continues full speed ahead. It's big money and since 9/11 the drug cartels on this side of the globe have bought in big time. It's a lot easier to get a truck load of counterfiet goods across the Mexican border than a truck load of drugs. As long as folks keep buying these counterfiet goods their market will only continue to grow...

I can only add to what LazyEyedSniper has said...I have purchased many Chinese made knock-offs and from my experience the purchases are not repeatable...You might get a good one (whatever) this time and the next time...junk.

I agree with the production run being extended, unknown to the manufacturer, but I think all of the "authorized" run items that FAIL (seconds) are part of the extended run.

So what you (or I) get could work properly or not. Getting a second one because we liked the first obe ordered, I have found to be "luck of the draw".

Amazon Prime at least protects your return ability and pretty well ensures you (I) get our money back.
I heartily recommend them for that reason and the free day shipping, IF you make enough purchases in a year to justify it.

Back