• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chit Chat

What I hate is the ones that don't tell you that you have overrun the password field when you enter a new password.

For instance say I use the password

DeportObamain2018

Which has 17 characters but the field may only allow 16. When you confirm the password it doesn't tell you that you've over run and they both match so it let you go.

Then later you type that password and it doesn't work. After awhile you finally figure out the error and type in

DeportObamain201

And the SOB suddenly works!

The other one I hate is that many systems do not allow you to use the ampersand in a filename, but it does not tell you that, and you don't find out until: "file not found".

I tried numerous times to get a UPS account, and their site would not accept any of my passwords.
I finally entered UPSucks! and they took it. True story.

In school a friend somehow saved a file with the name "*". After several longs nights trying to finish his project he saw the file and attemped to remove it and without thinking deleted his entire project folder.

This was on a command line Unix system which is quite unforgiving.

Well if he didn't have backups, he didn't deserve forgiveness.

I would say that over the past 40 plus years I had been involved in the computer business that I knew one person in a dozen who was religious about backing up his work.

Of course most of these people were working for other people. If they were working for themselves with no safety net or recourse, they would be backing up their work or quickly be out of business.

Last edited:
Another true story, which is why I never pursued a career in computers. I will make it short:
I took a computer class in college, maybe 1970...?
The final exam was problem solving, flow charts, and keypunch entries, with a stack of cards.
The exam room was filled with many students doing keypunch card entries. At the end of your exam, your results were entered into the computer and a stack of cards were punched, which you then wrapped with a rubber band and turned them in to the instructor. Your punched cards would then be run through the computer for results on solving the problem. Things were going fine until my rubber band broke, and the cards scattered across the floor. The entire room moaned as they saw my hours of work ruined. I calmly scooped up the mess of cards, now out of the proper sequence, put a fresh rubber band around the cards and approached the instructor. He asked me what I wanted to do......I handed him the unorganized stack and said.....Run It. Needless to say....I flunked the class.

LOL... when I got my first job I was so happy to find out that they had a key punch girl, and all I had to do was write code on paper with a pencil!

I have never seen a human being break down as bad as I did when watching someone drop a entire box of unnumberred punch cards minutes before their final assignment was due.

Fortunately they University upgraded the semester or two prior to my switch to computer science so I managed to avoid using them.

It seems like keypunch operators were the rage for about 6 months or a year.I never got involved myself, but I do remember a couple of friends that went to school to become keypunch operators. I think the need passed before they finished school.

The first thing ya had to do after the rubber band is you drew a diagonal line along one edge of the deck so you could resort them. Also had to write your name and the Run number on the deck.

I used to go after hours and they would let me use the hot reader because I was an engineer. Finance types didn't get to touch the hardware.

But you better not throw the system into a loop or waste time and $ on the high-speed line printer.

You could blow through a whole box of paper before you realized that it was your short program that crashed the print subsystem.

National reciprocity for concealed carry passed the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday is expected to receive a floor vote before the end of the year.
The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 was introduced by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC) on January 3, 2017. It changes federal law that so concealed carry permits are treated like driver’s licenses, making a permit from one state valid in the other 49. This would fix the complicated and often confusing patchwork of concealed carry laws currently in effect throughout the country.
To put it simply, Hudson’s bill allows the common man to defend himself and his family as he travels throughout this country.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...concealed-carry-passes-next-stop-house-floor/

Imagine congress passing something that actually makes sense. Of course the usual suspects (Ca, Ct, Ma, and NY) will fight it tooth and nail.

Yeah, cl, ct, ma, ny are already wanting to make the law only be acceptable by the least common demominator (meaning the most restrictive states gun laws).

So, in order to carry in all states, you have to only use a gun with a few round capacity, register your carry guns, and all sort of other BS blah blah blooey that would also be legal in ny ct, ma, etc.

I do not supportt anything that is more restrictive than what/where I can carry now.

If this sets limits or still does not allow carry in Chicago, CA or elsewhere then it is a step backward for a lot of us.

It needs to mirror the most liberal (the actual definition not the political "liberal") states gun laws not the lowest common denominator.

The rumor I hear is that California is going to ignore this new law just the way they ignore the federal marijuana law.

If you're from elsewhere, and you get arrested in California carrying a gun, don't expect your license to make much difference in the way they treat you.

The first thing they're going to do is confiscate your gun & the second thing they're going to do is lock you up & charge you with
at least three felonies. Illegal carry, illegal importation, and failure to register & pay the taxes. (Basically tax evasion.) They will probably take your car as well as you used it to import the illegal gun.

$150,000 will be the probable Bail, unless you actually discharged the gun in which case you will likely be nailed with at least an illegal discharge. That's if they can't find the bullet. If your bullet hit someone or something, you will be charged with property damage, assault, homicide or whatever, depending on what happened.

So now, assuming no one actually died, figure your bail is going to be somewhere around $250,000 to $500,000 and your stay in California maybe rather longer than you expected.

Beware, but also understand this:

California has the largest number of concealed carry folks in the nation, but because of our laws, only a tiny fraction of them have licenses, or could ever get them.

For instance: If you smoke, sell, grow marijuana, etc, you cannot possibly get a license. You're not even legally allowed to purchase a gun, and under law, you must turn yours in if you own them.

This is absolutely not happening. The number of turn-ins is practically zero. The number of legal users is growing daily.

All those guys growing and transporting and processing are running around with concealed guns, because they don't want to be ripped off. It's too tempting to watch somebody else grow a crop & harvest and then just hijack them.

Or it would be if those guys weren't usually well armed.

I understand that we have the largest number of legal and illegal marijuana growing operations in the entire country, so you can see how this is going.

More and more people here will carry, and more and more will carry illegally.

Unfortunately I don't see how anyone will be correcting the situation anytime soon.

For instance: If you smoke, sell, grow marijuana, etc, you cannot possibly get a license. You're not even legally allowed to purchase a gun, and under law, you must turn yours in if you own them.

It is actually the BATFE's stance that people with medicinal marijuana cards cannot own or possess guns or ammunition.

Meds or not, I don't think the law cares how you get it.

You must sign an affidavit swearing that you are not a drug user before you can get a license to even own a firearm here.

They don't call it a license. You read the book you, pass the test, and they give you a firearm safety certificate for $25.

But they don't make you pee in a cup, so everyone just lies; unless they're just such an obvious horrible drug addict that no one would sell them a gun at all. All of those folks just go buy it used on the street anyhow, and pay much less than what you pay at a gun shop for a new legal gun plus all the paperwork and Licensing.

It can be accomplished in one evening & a legal gun takes 10 days. If you're a nasty drug addict you have no problem buying an illegal gun because everybody can tell you're not a cop!

It's just amazing to see how all these Grand plans of the State of California devolve.

Our State Anthem should be The Carousell Broke Down.

Back