• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chit Chat

Here is a picture of me sitting on Santa's knee for the first time.
I reckon this would be called child abuse today.
Merry Christmas y'all.
IMG_5062.JPG

Are you sure that was Santa's "knee"?

Buwahahahahaha!

A lot of little fellars are scared of santa.

Easter bunny.

Halloween costumes.

Santa is bringing me a Bear Grizzly recurve bow. I have killed deer with a compound, but got out of bow hunting years ago and sold everything. I have decided I want to go back to traditional shooting. I've never had one and want it only for target shooting. At 70 years old and retired, I'm looking for a new way to spend my free time. Does anyone have any advice on recurve bows or more specifically, the Bear Grizzly.

Santa is bringing me a Bear Grizzly recurve bow. I have killed deer with a compound, but got out of bow hunting years ago and sold everything. I have decided I want to go back to traditional shooting. I've never had one and want it only for target shooting. At 70 years old and retired, I'm looking for a new way to spend my free time. Does anyone have any advice on recurve bows or more specifically, the Bear Grizzly.
Several years ago I went on a bear hunt in Canada with a group.of traditional archers. I used a Bear Grizzly I had bought specifically for the trip, my other bow at the time did not meet their min weight requirements. Now I have several including a nice longbow. None of which I can shoot very often any more due to recurring shoulder pain.

First piece of advice, use a bow stringer, they are cheap. Using the step through method can twist the limbs on a recurve.

Second is to make sure you get arrows properly spine matched to your bow weight and draw. Its not that difficult but time consuming. I found it easier to find carbon arrows to shoot well than aluminum.

Unlike compounds, you do not have any adjustment other than the arrows themselves unless you use some type of rest on the bow. I assume you will just be shooting off the shelf.

I have shot bows of various types my whole life. I can offer lots of advice but its easier if you have specific questions. We do have an archery subforum if you want to post them up there.

Mike, I have sorted out and ordered the misc. items with no issue, but, you hit the nail on the head regarding arrows. I am finding this a most difficult area. I don't really have an accurate measure of my draw length, so I believe until I get this sorted out I should not order any arrows. They are sending me an arrow measuring tool with the bow. I will be shooting off the shelf. I was not aware of the archery subforum, I will look into it. Thanks. I may come back to you with specific questions. Bear hunting with a bow sounds like great fun.

Arrow tuning is not to hard if you have a way to cut your own shafts. You may need to just get buy for a while until you establish your form. Under/over drawing a recurve changes the draw weight which can affect spine.

Easiest way to measure draw length is to have someone stand next to you and mark your arrow as you draw the bow. Do it a few times to get an average.

Once you have have that combined with the draw weight you can jse charts to get you close. All recurves are marked with a specific draw weight at a specific draw length, i.e. 55#@27".

The weight of the tip you use will affect spine as well. The heavier the tip, the more the arrow will flex as it has to push more weight. This is another way to fine tune everything as you progress.

Lots of variables but its not as bad as it sounds. As with most things you can take it to an extream or you can just have fun with it. Lots of room to play.

I understand what you are saying Mike. Once I get my draw length I can start bringing it together.
Are wood arrows okay with the Bear Grizzly 40# for target shooting. Will wood arrows hold up to shooting stumps or rabbits? I would prefer to use the same arrow for each of the above to save money and confusion.

You can use wood for both.

I tried wooden arrows at one time but never really got them to be as consistant as I liked. I knew a lot of people that used wood for everything. While I shot a recurve/longbow I was not exactly "traditional" in other equipment choices.

I used carbon or aluminum.

I made arrows in both. By by the time I was done I was primarily shooting carbon arrows.

Ironically I typically only shot alum from my compound bows.

I don't do anything the "normal" way. LOL

I wont recommend one over the other, its mostly personal preference

I quit shooting compounds when carbons were coming online. I just stayed with aluminum. I read about carbon arrows getting cut and blowing up. This happened last year to a friend of mine. Would wood or aluminum take more abuse?

I would think wood would be a bit more durable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
DUE TO FREEZING TEMPERATURES
IN THE SOUTH

CUSTOMERS ARE URGED TO WEAR TWO PAIRS OF PAJAMAS TO WALMART AND SOCKS WITH THEIR SLIPPERS

Back