• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choice of firearm for Home Defense

Why choose a shotgun for home defense over other weapons?

• Fire power

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Value

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Ease of use

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Versatility

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Reliability

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Other weapon (why?)

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
oli700 said:
GunnyGene said:
Even tho the poll is specific to shotguns.
woops, I quit reading after Choice of firearm for Home Defense lol,

Believe it or not, one of my primary considerations is how much of a bloody mess I have to clean up. Replacing carpet, repainting, reupholstering furniture, etc. I have some pretty expensive antiques in my house, some of which cannot be replaced, and I'd just as soon not blow them into pieces or cover them in blood and guts. Hence a preference for small calibers.

How about playing the "brown note" to them....less blood, more brown but its self contained

^^ For example this is a $3k Ming dynasty pair of hand carved doors,
chinesedoors-1.jpg

and a $5k sofa from the mid 1800's.

DSCN0606.jpg

nitesite said:
MossLvR said:
Roadblocker with "big arse" muzzle upstairs ..... :D

A muzzle brake? :eek:
Hell yeah, if I miss and I won't, I'll deafen the SOB!

Also, have a Steyr M9A1 & a CZ Shadow, both customized but discharging or using handgun outside of a range in Ontario is severely frowned on. Shotties can't be loaded either unless you are a farmer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

nitesite said:
BenSamp said:
After working in corrections for 25 years I have managed to pissed off quite a "few" people. I live alone along with my 110lb pitbull, my go to gun is my Glock 22, which is never far from me, my downstairs backup is my 930 ghost loaded with nine in the gun and 12 on the gun. Upstairs is my Sig P250 and my 590A1 and my DPMS AR-15. My shotguns and AR may have more firepower, but I can maneuver better going from room to room and make a smaller target to hit with my pistols. This is a pic of SHTF tools
9279625727_703fa1339c_b.jpg

Ben~

Nice looking pro-grade stuff.

Why do you have the 930 elastic buttcuff on that side? Shoot as a lefty? Or do you train left-handed reloads as a rightie? If a rightie does your face hit it?
Good eye Nitesite, I am right handed and I train from my left side a great deal to make sure my skills are about even in the event I lose the use of my right. As far as the butt cuff goes I get a good cheek weld and the rounds just barely touch my chin when shooting and I find it easier to load with my left hand.

Beside my bed loaded is my 12 gauge maverick with ati pistol grip and in the nightstand is a loaded 357 magnum 4 inch barrel other mossy shotgun has the 28 inch barrel it's in gun cabinet.

Cheap, cheap, cheap. The pump is the most bang for the buck, even though I think the real choices are first, a semiauto carbine, then an auto shotgun, then the pump, then a big handgun, then a machete, then a mouse gun.

My carbine has a scope on it so it is useless for around the house, and my auto shotgun has a long barrel which is annoying closeup. Most folks who are not gun lovers don`t have a lot of money to spend , so a $200 gun makes a lot more sense than a $500-1000 gun.

And double that if you have a gun in the bedroom and another in the home office. Cheap is good!

bubba in c.a. said:
Cheap, cheap, cheap. The pump is the most bang for the buck, even though I think the real choices are first, a semiauto carbine, then an auto shotgun, then the pump, then a big handgun, then a machete, then a mouse gun.

My carbine has a scope on it so it is useless for around the house, and my auto shotgun has a long barrel which is annoying closeup. Most folks who are not gun lovers don`t have a lot of money to spend , so a $200 gun makes a lot more sense than a $500-1000 gun.

And double that if you have a gun in the bedroom and another in the home office. Cheap is good!

I voted fire power and value. I've always liked the idea of working from home and would have a Maverick upstairs and one in that home office space. I don't have that option but if I did two Mavericks would be the answer. At the price of Mavericks you can't pass them up. YMMV. tom. :cool:

ETA a couple of used Mossberg 500s would do just fine too.

Back