• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choke I.D.

Erinslion

Copper BB
Hello all. After some study I decided the Mossberg 835 was the shotgun for me and purchased a used one in what appears to be excellent condition for $150.

It came with an extended, ported choke, but I can find NO identifying marks anywhere on the part. No notches, writing, nothing.

I have a micrometer somewhere in the basement but thought perhaps someone here would recognize the item. According to my serial number on the shotgun/your serial number database, this gun is from 1999.

Is it possible that this is a stock choke? I downloaded the manual for the 835 and it says that chokes are clearly marked and identified, but perhaps this wasn't always so? I can't imagine why any aftermarket manufacturer would make one without identifying marks which is why I have to wonder/hope that this is in fact the choke that originally came with the gun.

Thanks!

M.

Attachments

• choke 1.jpg
    choke 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 11
  • choke 2.jpg
    choke 2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 10
A set of sockets.. Try getting a socket to drop through the choke , when it does then you measure that particular socket with your mic or even a set of calipers.
Not perfect but it'll get you within a couple thousands and you should be able to figure it from there.

Good luck.

I agree with NiteSite. It looks like an older factory choke and is likely the Ultimag full choke. My guess is that it's in the area of .690 which seems to be the basic starting point in 835 turkey chokes.

Some chokes (not usually extended though) use a hash marks on the outer edge to identify choke restrictions.
The number of marks correspond to the restriction.
Are there any marks on the muzzle end of the choke?

No sir, there are literally no markings whatsoever on any part of the thing, but I'm feeling more hopeful that it IS the original factory plug.

I'm going to find the mic and measure the ID to be certain.

I appreciate every response, thanks everyone.

Besides a single-shot .410 when I was a kid, this is my first shotgun. I bought it for turkey hunting. I've been bow hunting turkeys for a couple of years and done well enough, but have had to pass on more than one because it was beyond the range I consider ethical. I figured the shotgun would open up new possibilities (and honestly, I just wanted one.) This being my first, I'm trying to learn everything I can about it. If it turns out this IS the factory choke I don't see any particular reason to replace it. I've read that they are pretty fine just the way they are. Bottom line is I'll just have to see how it patterns I suppose.

Thanks again for your responses.

I have never used the factory choke. I bought my gun used & abused with the choke siezed in the barrel. It was no longer useable after forcibly removing it with an internal pipe wrench. Mine did not have an extended tube to grab from the outside.

I replaced it with a Primos Jelly Head choke and it has patterned well for me. I use the Primos Tite Wad choke in my other guns with with nice patterns. Both can be found rather inexpensively if you want an economical starting point for another choke. The Undertaker choke also produced decent patterns for me, just not quite as good as the Primos. This one can also be found pretty cheap.

I've tried the factory choke and if 35 to 40 yards is the limit of what you'll be shooting at it could work. Like you've said though, see how it patterns. It could work out great for you.

Back