• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choke Tube Threading

Was able to go out a few minutes and test the guns out with a couple of shots.

Since both of them were already geared towards slugs and buckshot, it was no surprise that the both done well with them.

lNtp073.jpg

R4Khh5q.jpg

But what really made me happy was how well both guns were patterning with birdshot using the goblin' thunder choke.

I could probably do some tweaking to the loads or another choke itself, and tighten them up even a little more since these were just a couple reloads that I grabbed out of the box, but these guns would have no problem hunting rabbit, squirrels, or turkey now either. Which is a marked improvement in versatility.

I think most of us agree that a cylinder choke wouldn't print this well at 20 yards using #6 shot.

6U9FLAb.jpg

eNi5U0G.jpg

Those are some great patterns. Glad it turned out to your liking.

Yeah, it was worth the time and effort for sure. I'm very glad that I did it. [understatement of the week]

I have a bunch of different chokes that I'm going to try on the guns to see if there is a particular shot or choke that works the best for hunting with them. That's part of the fun of working on a shotgun. Each of them have their own "personality" and preferences. It's up to me to find what those are.

But I knew the gobblin thunder choke has been a good performer in the past so that's why I started with it. It may go back to it in the end for small game hunting, but I still have an extra full flush choke to test, an Undertaker choke, and a regular winchester full choke. And I'll be testing with #4, #6 and even some 7 1/2's just to see how they do. Though 4-6 shot is usually what I use for most things I hunt with a shotgun.

Maybe against my better judgement, I'll shoot some high brass hand loads with versatite wads since that's as close to a magnum loads as I ever shoot anymore these days when I'm wanting a little extra range for turkeys.

Depending on that, I may buy a modified choke just to see how it would work in the guns. I've had a lot of success with #6 shot a modified chokes in my 16's. But I'm going to try all the Full chokes first.

Long story short, these should be really good "all purpose" shotguns now. I'm glad that I did this. Ain't nobody needs no 30 inch barrel to hunt with.

Back