• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chrono test on converted cartridges

Malagamarksman

.270 WIN
Yesterday mi amigo Juan brought a CHRONY chronograph to the range to test his pistol reloads. So I asked him if I could run some converted 28 gramme 12 gauge clay pidgeon cartridges converted to 1 ounce Jeff Tanner round ball.

Five shots over the chrono revealed the following velocities;

1, 1227 FPS
2, 1233 FPS
3, 1298 FPS
4, 1296 FPS
5, 1245 FPS

A one ounce round ball at an average of 1250 FPS (or thereabouts), quite impressive at 4.50 Euro for a box of 25. You REALLY WOULDN'T want to get in the way of one of them !

As I shot them through the chrono there was a standard centrefire pistol bullseye target at 25 metres directly behind.

I fired them out of my 20" barrel Maverick with just a fibre optic bead and no rear sight. All five went into the black.........good enough for me !

Great info thanks for sharing. Like you said,"They will do the job". :)
Have you ever had a chance to shoot 1oz Lee slug reloads through the chronograph?

Thanks for sharing the velocities. Those are near the same numbers as quoted on the box (using birdshot) so that is good.

I don't have access to a chrony, but I do usually shoot at a metal sign that is metal on both sides and hollow inside.

I figure they blow through them like butter, so a car door (or perhaps a couple) car doors wouldn't stand a chance either.

old mossy said:
Great info thanks for sharing. Like you said,"They will do the job". :)
Have you ever had a chance to shoot 1oz Lee slug reloads through the chronograph?

Not yet, but I will re-stuff some of the same cartridges with LEE slugs and chrono them. I would think it's highly likely as the round balls are the same weight as LEE slugs there will be a very similar result ?

I am keen to try these through my Akkar Stinger pump action with a 14" barrel to to see the difference in velocity. I wonder will they be slower ?

Watch this space.

John A. said:
Thanks for sharing the velocities. Those are near the same numbers as quoted on the box (using birdshot) so that is good.

I don't have access to a chrony, but I do usually shoot at a metal sign that is metal on both sides and hollow inside.

I figure they blow through them like butter, so a car door (or perhaps a couple) car doors wouldn't stand a chance either.

I hope we are not talking about vandalism to a sign in a public street tut tut tut ! Hahhaha........

I just remembered I still have a copy on VHS video of "Deadly Weapons" by Alex Jason where he shoots 12 gauge slugs into a big old chunky American saloon car. They penetrated right through both drivers and passengers doors and exited the vehicle.

They would go right through little tinny European cars here thats for sure.

Will be watching. :)

Also have you ever checked the round ball and the Lee 1oz to see which is more accurate ?

old mossy said:
Will be watching. :)

Also have you ever checked the round ball and the Lee 1oz to see which is more accurate ?

Erm..................Don't know yet. The Stinger REALLY likes the LEE slugs and shoots them very accurately. Probably because it also has a cylinder bore slug barrel but with rifle sights as opposed to just a front bead.

One of the other Spanish guys also has a Stinger and he says with slugs it shoots really good at 50 metres. I will give that a whirl too at some stage.

So I will text Juan and get him to bring the Chrony next Friday and try both the Stinger and the Maverick with Jeff Tanner round balls and LEE slugs.

and all else being equal a round ball will penetrate deeper than a foster or brenneke style slug .....don't know if they penetrate deeper then a solid sabot, probably not

Hey oli. Have you compared Lee 1oz to 1oz ball for and accuracy ?

Malagamarksman said:
I hope we are not talking about vandalism to a sign in a public street tut tut tut ! Hahhaha........

No. It was an old coca cola 2 sided advertising sign that used to be in the parking lot of a gas station where I worked when I was in high school.

The reason I use it is because it has a spring loaded stand built in to the metal frame.

It's been a good target stand for sure.

1ozslug006_zps4eb7f0a5.jpg

oli700 said:
and all else being equal a round ball will penetrate deeper than a foster or brenneke style slug .....don't know if they penetrate deeper then a solid sabot, probably not

Common sense says you are very probably right. The .670" round ball and the German BRENNEKE design are SOLID right through. The LEE and FOSTER slugs are sort of hollow in the middle.

I'll compare the round ball and the LEE next week for accuracy and velocity.

I fancy one of those 7/8 ounce LEE moulds too. Velocity wise I'll bet they SCREAM along ?

I have just ordered a Smith and Wesson MP 15 in .22lr.............I should have it by Wednesday so I got a lot to play with next week !

most Brenneke style slugs are hollow too.....the hollow is just plugged with a plastic leg for stabilized flight. It is rare to see a Brenneke slug that is solid with the tail screwed on or attached some other way anymore.

the Lee is its own unique animal, it is a saboted foster

oli700 said:
the Lee is its own unique animal, it is a saboted foster

oli does this mean you shouldn't shoot Lee slugs sitting in a cup through a smooth barrel ?

you most definitely should...that's the beauty of the Lee, it is versatile enough to be both. The key digs into the cup and the cup engages the rifling's for a true saboted effect. On the other side of the coin it is a front heavy foster so it will fly straight without spin. For me the best accuracy from a smooth bore is a nice separation of cup and slug. This meant incorporating a hard nitro card under the slug to prevent the key from digging into the cup

oli700 said:
you most definitely should...that's the beauty of the Lee, it is versatile enough to be both. The key digs into the cup and the cup engages the rifling's for a true saboted effect. On the other side of the coin it is a front heavy foster so it will fly straight without spin. For me the best accuracy from a smooth bore is a nice separation of cup and slug. This meant incorporating a hard nitro card under the slug to prevent the key from digging into the cup

As always great info oli. I was getting a little confused about the rifled barrel and the smooth bore and the rifled slug,,,,,etc.
Thanks oli.

Oli

I remember acquiring Brenneke slugs for reloading, that was in England about 20 years ago. They were solid with a wad attached with what looked like a self tapping screw ?

In stock I have a couple of boxes of factory 12g with Brenneke slugs in them. But at 1 Euro 25 centimos a bang ( thats about a dollar sixty U.S ) I am not too keen dissect one and examine a slug. They do pack a serious wallop to your shoulder when fired so apart from the expense I don't shoot too many, especially as the STINGER lives up to it's name with them !

My converted cartridges feel just like firing a clay pidgeon round, nice low recoil.

Mossy

You most definately should shoot sabot LEE slugs through your smooth bore. The best thing about them is that they work just great in rifled barrels too. As I have posted here on a previous thread Juan they guy with the chrono has a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel. He hunts wild pigs very successfully with them. He puts a felt wad into the shotcup under the slug.

Back