• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cleaning Period Observation Poll

I have recently ran around 300 rounds through my 930.
When I tore down for cleaning there was almost no fouling with the exception of the gas piston area in the barrel assembly. The action and trigger group were virtually spotless. Is this due to ammo selection? Or is this just how all of the semi auto gas operated guns run? It looked like I could clean the barrell/Gas section only and run many more rounds.

I have always shot rifles 5.56 primarily. AR was always fouled after just about any use.
I have always tried to clean after every use, not always successfully. Sometimes the opportunity to shoot can't be passed up.

I usually try to clean everything I have every three months wether fired or not, maybe twice during summer season. (humidity) I almost can not keep up at this point, two many to clean myself one at a time. I usually limit the number of guns fired just to avoid cleaning. Kids want to fire them all at once, obviously they have not purchased ammo or cleaned many firearms.

i am actually loving the way the 930 runs as far as fouling is concerned, it is often one of my top choices to shoot, easy and quick to clean.

Is anyone else noticing there 930 running very clean with exception of gas block area?
I am thinking of light oiling and running for more extended periods? Any thought's or personel experiences.

Great forum I have recommended 930 non spx model to many of my friends that shoot. They have had tons of fun shooting mine.

When I first started out I cleaned mine religiously every time I used them. Now, I rarely break down and clean my guns. I wipe them down and keep them lubed but rately clean then unless storing them for extended periods.

My 870 has been going stroing for 20+ years and has only been broken down and cleaned once or twice after a long weekends of hunting in the rain. This is my higherst round count gun I used it exclusinvely for skeet (12 rounds a week for several years), trap, clays, and hunting for around 20 years. I've lost track of the many many 1000's of rounds I have put through that gun.

My 930 was cleaned shortly after buying it and has only been lubed and wiped down since. This gun has replaced my 870 for the most part. Although I do not shoot skeet much any more but I do I fair anount of hunting and just fun shooting.

My glock has 4000+ rounds without a thorough cleaning.

Personally I do not want to own a firearm that is so particular that it won't work if it gets a little dirty.

My one exception is my black powder rifle. That one gets broken down and thoroughly cleaned and lubed after every outing.

I realize I'm not the norm and most people that I talk to think I'm crazy but it works for me.

I still TRY to do a complete breakdown after each use. Key word was try. I guess it's the old Army NCO in me.
I live on the salt water here in the NW so that's also a consideration. Having said that, one thing I have done this last year is switch to Slip 2000 cleaning and lubrication products.Their web site has some amazing info on side by side comparison testing compared to the old stand by's. Thousands of rounds between cleaning. Non- toxic also which is very important to me as well. I have been thinking that a cleaning product review by our folks might be good if there is interest given the advances in the industry in the last few years.
Regards....

I'll clean mine when I "think" it's dirty. I'll at least wipe it down after some nasty weather for sure. There is no "right or wrong" here in other words on when to clean. It depends on usage and environment. The trigger assembly is pretty well sealed up inside the receiver and doesn't get exposed to the exhaust gasses. And as for the action/bolt? That part I will take a little extra care when I do break it down since the receiver housing is aluminum. Just make sure you don't have any abrasives in it like sand.

Mossberg statement is as follows: To ensure optimum performance, Mossberg recommends thorough cleaning of your firearm after every 200 rounds. However, unusually dusty, dirty, or harsh weather conditions, or use of ammunition which leaves significant powder residue may require more frequent cleaning.

When I do break it down for cleaning, it's usually because it just "looks" dirty from dragging through the brush etc and not because I shot 200 rounds. Heck, I have a slug barrel mounted and slugs are $2.00 a pop. I can't afford to shoot 200 rounds before cleanings! :lol: And if the ammo your using is burning clean for you then thats even less to worry about.

My shotgun really is for hunting. But normally you can pull the barrel and run a pipe cleaner through the gas ports and pull a Boresnake through the barrel and you are good to go for almost any situation. Time required? Five minutes tops. Have a great one.

Paul

AR and Pistols after 1000 round complete breakdown.
Shotgun and Rimfire 500 rounds.
Between that just run a boresnake and some CLP everything has been GTG.
I use to do a complete breakdown every time but the old lady use to get pissed at me for shooting all day then cleaning all night so I ask around on some forums in come up with this been doing like that for about 2 years now never had any problems. Next time the kids want to go shooting make them help clean them thats what I did now they just pick out one not all of them :mrgreen:

Thanks for the quick replies, great forum. I think I am on track. I think I will adjust cleaning period based on actual fouling , lubrication prior to use and quick wipe down between light use should leave me guilt free. Please continue posting personnel experience, wisdom. No such thing as to much information.

Each gun / ammo combo is different for me. I shoot a few and am busy I'll still open up the gun within a few days and see how dirty it is. Doing a quick inspection, hit the barrel and a basic clean and oil is easy and I confirm ( or not) that all is okay mechanically. If I shoot a bunch or have run through some big events etc. I plan to spend more time and effort per gun. I like 'em looking and running like new.

I'm with mingaa... I like mine looking and running like new. I have always been a meticulous gun cleaner. I could spend hours cleaning just one gun. I usually try to limit how many guns I take to the range simply because if someone else cleans one of my guns I still clean it again just to be sure. I'm sure going 500-1000 rounds on a gun would be fine and not hurt anything but I want to pass on guns that still look brand new. Sorry guys I will shoot the crap out of my guns but I won't be dragging them through the mud.

Back