• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cleaning the 930

tgw

I used to remove the barrel, clean the piston, remove the trigger and take out the bolt after each time I went to the range. Usually I fire between 50 and 75 rounds at the trap range. Now I've taken to not doing any disassembling, just swab out the barrel and clean and lubricate around the bolt as best I can. I am wondering what other 930 owners do in regards to disassembly and cleaning their weapons.

I plan on doing a complete disassembly and cleaning every few months depending upon the number of rounds I fire (maybe 500). I guess the answer as to whether this will be sufficient will be if I get any stoppages.

The barrel is so easy to remove for cleaning it & lubing the gas piston section that I really don't have a problem going that route.

I don't normally remove the trigger assembly except maybe after several outings or shooting it in foul (rainy) weather.

Full cleaning after about 300-500 rounds. It seems to start acting up around 400 rounds.

I take the trigger assembly out once a year and clean it.

I clean the gas system every time. I honestly didn't think it would shoot unless I kept that clean. I went about 300-400 rounds without cleaning the action. I wish I hadn't waited so long, it really needed it. As little time as it takes I think I'll start cleaning the whole thing every time.

Not sure, but it looks just like the brush we use to clean out our clothes dryer vent...

Yes Sir it is.

I've seen brass tube brushes at hardware and chemical supply stores. Looks like a great use for them, but I've never thought to pick one up specifically for that purpose though. I just use the 20ga brush that came in my kit since I don't have much other use for it...

Mossberg 930 shotgun- Complete cleaning and disas…:

That was a good video!

Never knew you were supposed to remove those gas piston rings for cleaning from time-to-time...oops!

Also would like to get some spares to toss in the gun box just in case of...SNAP! :eek:

Thank you for posting.

I have about 250 rounds through mine now, and have cleaned it 3 times - once after picking it up and once after each range session (only two outings so far). Not sure if it's the cheap ammo I'm using (primarily Herter's slugs), but it gets filthy.

Takes me about 15 Otis Patches (6 uses each = 90 pull-throughs) and a bore brush before the barrel is semi-clean. The piston, bolt, slide, and mag tube are easy enough to get clean - but the barrel is just ridiculous to get clean. Maybe I am a little OCD, but it seems excessive compared to cleaning my little XDm.

*EDIT - I should add that I read diyguy's comparison of protectants/rust inhibitors and started added Hornady One-Shot and WD40 Special to my cleaning kit.

- I primarily use the Otis system for bore-to-muzzle cleaning with their O85 Solvent and a Brass 12ga brush and also Hoppe's Tornado brush. I end the barrel clean with a few pulls of the Boresnake Viper that has a good residual amount of One-Shot on it.

- I use CLP and (2) different nylon brushes for scrubbing the piston, slide, bolt, and other small components - and run a couple swaps down the mag tube & extension to remove any residue. That is my standard "routine" so far, but when all is said an done, it takes me literally 2 hours to get it all clean. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy cleaning my weapons, as it is actually calming and cathartic, but I don't know if I am being excessive or an alternative way to clean the barrel more efficiently (since that is the most time-consuming part).

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
Ammo is scarce here lately. I am heading to Bass Pro next weekend. I bought a few boxes of Winchester Super X 00 Buck because that was all Wal-Mart had in stock. I haven't fired mine yet, need a few more boxes to go out and break it in. I did my initial field strip and clean. Guess I'll fire off 50 or 100 and break it down to see how dirty it is with this ammo. Question is it personal preference or is one better than the other? Bore snake vs Patches. I use both in my rifles, just wondered what is best for the smooth bore.

Good luck finding ammo.

Question is it personal preference or is one better than the other? Bore snake vs Patches. I use both in my rifles, just wondered what is best for the smooth bore.

I like using both.

Usually run a bore snake through my barrels at the range before packing up. This pulls a lot of the fouling/leading out before it has a chance to fully harden and set in. Once I'm home and ready to clean, then I used to run patches with solvent, then dry patches until they came out spotless. Now instead of dry patches I started using Remington's new Squeeg-E...

squeeg-e.jpg
These things work extremely well and leave my barrels literally squeaky clean. I have these in several sizes for my shotguns, rifles, and pistols...

that thing is pretty sweet LES! Might need to check it out to see if it works better than the Otis patches.

Also, check out the Hoppes Tornado bore brush. I found it works better than a typical brass/nylon brush to remove heavy fouling and deposits.
TornadoBrush_2.png

That tornado brush looks interesting.

A brass brush on a rod stuck in my power drill works like a charm for my shotguns. Crank up the RPM and the bore is mirror polished in no time...

Back