• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Closed Circuit Security Cams

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I've had a CCTV security system (among others) for a while. There are a lot of rental properties in my neighborhood, and probably goes without saying you never know who your neighbors are going to be on any given day. Good or bad. Two of the main landlords in my neighborhood are both retired state police (one of them retired as detective) so most of their tenants have been checked out, but there are others who aren't as caring who they rent to.

So, we invested in a pretty decent setup last year.

The dvr has a terabyte memory and allows me to record everything 24/7, and expandable up to 8 cams (which I have done slowly over time).

The dvr and old cameras are night owl brand. And the old cameras aren't really bad either (720hd resolution) and are good but honestly gets a little grainy at the end of their night range ~75 feet. You could easily id anyone in/around the immediate yard though and are hands down better than my first security camera system I bought 15 years ago which pales in comparison to modern image quality.

The night owl dvr is easy to use and program and customer service is good too. I had to get them to walk me through setting it up initially because the instructions (or lack of) warranted a direct call to them.

I can view all of them online from anywhere on our tablets/phones, but I don't leave the Ethernet cord hooked to the unit unless I'm installing the cameras so I can adjust them the way I want without having to make so many trips in and out of the house to tweak the camera, or if we're going to be gone for extended time because I don't trust stuff like that to be very secure and I don't want my system to be possibly hacked and used against me, so I normally have all that junk off and the cable unhooked anyway. But it's good to have occasionally when we do want to use it.

But the main point of the post, last night, my wife stumbled on an ad from an old acquaintance that we grew up around and went to school with, and she had a set of 5 Samsung 1080hd cameras with wiring new in the box, so when we settled on a price of $50 for the set, I jumped because the resolution is better than our old ones and everything that I have ever owned from Samsung has been pretty good stuff. And thankfully, I can use my existing hard wiring and will only have to exchange the cameras themselves.

I looked around online afterwards and found these are going for $300+ for the set on amazon right now so I'm pretty stoked about them. And yes, I know they're not hot. The lady goes to a lot of auctions and pallet auctions and has a legitimate business. But she's making money, her bills are paid and has food on the table. She's happy, I'm happy, and the world keeps going around.

I just wanted to tell anyone who might be interested in these cameras, that so far, they have an exceptional picture quality day or night. I've seen a few on ebay going for ~$50'ish per camera if anyone is looking to upgrade like I was.

https://www.amazon.com/SDC-9441BC-Samsung-SDH-C75100-SDH-C75080-SDH-C74040/dp/B016P9DTGG

samsung.PNG

Back