• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Collector value

Oddcaliber

.270 WIN
Just curious about the collector value of a Mossberg shotgun I have. It's a 500CT 20 gauge made in 1974. Has a G prefix in the s/n. Got it used from a local pawnshop. Asking because I spotted a Maverick88 Bantam youth 20 gauge going for $250ish. Since I am a fairly regular customer there I know that I'll get what I paid then for the 500CT. Guess I'm just looking to update my collection. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

With as many as has been made over the decades, I don't really look at shotguns as collector pieces. To me, they're tools and work horses.

Still, it's almost 50 years old. If it's in good shape, at least has that going for it.

With as many as has been made over the decades, I don't really look at shotguns as collector pieces. . . .

Certainly not inexpensive shotguns without engraving and such.

Unless of course it’s a 16 gauge. I will grab any 16 gauge that comes my way because I love them.

It almost packs the punch of a 12 gauge, which means it packs a hell of a punch, but the 16 is lighter and swings around fast.

Firearms and value are seldom like cars and their value when it comes to older specimens (antiques) in good condition. A 1974 Dodge Challenger in good condition is worth far more comparatively than a 1974 500 is to their current equivalents. Meaning, a high-production car from 1974 that has lasted this long is a rarity and is a technical "curiosity" compared to new tech while a 1974 gun is almost expected to still be running with proper care so is less scarce AND it functions similarly to current offerings. There has been little tech advancement if you know what I mean. You pull trigger, firing pin hits primer, cartridge fires... So in utilitarian terms, a 1974 gun that goes bang and looks good is not usually worth more than a similar 2021 gun that also goes bang and looks good.

I am not a collector so I can not tell you if your 500CT is "special" and/or valuable. What I can tell you is you could probably get a Hogue shorty stock and turn your 500 into the Bantam you desire. I don't know what barrel you have so that could be a factor to you if the 88 has a more desirable barrel length or style.

PS: upon further consideration, I have determined that you should keep the 500 AND buy the 88. :D Dilemma solved! Your welcome! ;)

Firearms and value are seldom like cars and their value when it comes to older specimens (antiques) in good condition. A 1974 Dodge Challenger in good condition is worth far more comparatively than a 1974 500 is to their current equivalents. Meaning, a high-production car from 1974 that has lasted this long is a rarity and is a technical "curiosity" compared to new tech while a 1974 gun is almost expected to still be running with proper care so is less scarce AND it functions similarly to current offerings. There has been little tech advancement if you know what I mean. You pull trigger, firing pin hits primer, cartridge fires... So in utilitarian terms, a 1974 gun that goes bang and looks good is not usually worth more than a similar 2021 gun that also goes bang and looks good.

I am not a collector so I can not tell you if your 500CT is "special" and/or valuable. What I can tell you is you could probably get a Hogue shorty stock and turn your 500 into the Bantam you desire. I don't know what barrel you have so that could be a factor to you if the 88 has a more desirable barrel length or style.

PS: upon further consideration, I have determined that you should keep the 500 AND buy the 88. :D Dilemma solved! Your welcome! ;)
Great answers guys. I just might keep it and get the 88. Also the same pawnshop has a Stevens 311in 20 gauge at the same price. Decisions, Decisions! I need a bigger gun safe.

Back