• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Combat medic thoughts on "caliber wars"

I appreciated being able to read that.

Can't say I was entirely surprised by his conclusion, or that I disagree with it, but glad to have read that nonetheless.

I like it, real world experience can never be disputed.

556 is such an interesting round as far as history. The cartridge hasn't changed much but the projectiles and rifle that was designed around it has since inception of the original design, mostly the barrel

There are reasons that medic saw the things he saw.
The original rifle with the origional cartige was a deadlier combination than an m4 loaded with m855 or m193 for that matter .....not in every scenario but the military made some trade offs to get what they got , ammo and a rifle for fighting an armored opponent.
designed to penetrate whatever to reach vitals and make a humane easily fixed wound thanks to some rules of war deeming expandable projectiles a no no......besides expanding projectiles suck at penetrating helmets and body armor

If every solder in the Middle East conflicts had mags loaded with heavy Barnes bullets being pushed at 556 NATO speed I think the medic would have seen a much different outcome

There is well done documentation online showing the evolution of the M16 and what changes resulted in what desired effect, same if one wants research the cartridge, hours of reading.

It's obviouse placement is key but there is no denying bigger and faster does more damage, as in his observations of 308 vs 556.......no disrespect but duhhhh .....in no way no how will a 556 ever poses the killing ability of a 762x51, especially when your forced to use non expanding projectiles

I liked the end when he actually touched on and recognized the ability of the cartridge with the proper projectile for the task at hand. 556 is a very fast round for its dimensions, the projectile is small so it's dependant on the projectile being as efficient and versatile as possable.

Thankfully as free people we can still have a choice what we drop in the chamber unlike solders who have no choice.

Thankfully as free people we can still have a choice what we drop in the chamber unlike solders who have no choice.

This

A thousand times over this.

55 grain, FMJ is for target practice. Thats about it. Although when it all goes south any ammo is better than no ammo

yeah no doubt. FMJ has its place in the defensive line up though, as does 855. As of now my AR sits with 69gr Nosler HPBT , they are my most energetic reload....on paper. They are not designed as an expanding bullet but they do something, they blow shit up.....like a little explosion

I wonder how many he has seen shoot back after being hit by nine 00 Buck pellets? Take care. Tom Worthington

good point Tom. Would be interesting to see "real world" effects. And Oli, my Oh Sh!t mags are loaded with 62 grain m855

I wonder how many he has seen shoot back after being hit by nine 00 Buck pellets? Take care. Tom Worthington

I have talked to vets, plural, who have seen that.....they said the Iraqis had little respect for the m16 till 77gr SMK's started going around. Apparently they were deathly scared of shotguns and dogs....

Back