• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Compatible ammo for the SA-20

Under warning it says: "Never shoot slugs with a full choke. Use only the most open (improved cylinder) choke. Never shoot steel shot with a full choke. Use only a modified, improved cylinder or skeet choke tubes."

The key word here is "choke" and cylinder bore means no choke. The bore is the same size the length of the barrel. The choke is a restriction, or decreased diameter of the muzzle end of the barrel. Do a search here at MO on "choke tube" or similar--there is tons of info about the subject and choke sizes.

The key word here is "choke" and cylinder bore means no choke. The bore is the same size the length of the barrel. The choke is a restriction, or decreased diameter of the muzzle end of the barrel. Do a search here at MO on "choke tube" or similar--there is tons of info about the subject and choke sizes.
Thank you - remember I am new to this so I don't always understand everything. I am not going to add a choke or modify the barrel on my SA-20 in any way so does that mean I can shoot slugs through it (inside of barrel isn't rifled) along with shooting either lead shot or steel shot? I am trying to arrive at an informed decision as to what type of ammunition I should use in my gun for purely self defense in my home. So far I think I should use 2.75" or 3" shells (Magnum?). The weights sound like they should be 15/16 (or 1) ounce loads or 7/8; right? Thank you for all the help you are providing.

Last edited:
I am not sure which model you have. Is your gun a tactical? What is the barrel length? Does it have a choke? Is there anything threaded in the end of the barrel?

I am not sure which model you have. Is your gun a tactical? What is the barrel length? Does it have a choke? Is there anything threaded in the end of the barrel?
Hi Brian,

Yes, my Mossberg is a tactical shotgun and Mossberg calls it the SA-20 Tactical Cruiser. (20 gauge semi-automatic) The barrel length is 20" (cylinder bore). No, there is no choke and I will never add one. It's a smooth bore barrel and almost appears chromed to me (but again, I'm a newbee). The gun is for home defense exclusively (read I will never hunt with it) to back up my Glock 19 (9 mm). I would like advice as to what types of shotgun shells will work in it (the gun will "cycle") for it's intended purpose. I will be taking a basic shotgun class in May but the instructor has told me I need to provide my own ammunition since I will be using my own shotgun and not theirs.

Any advice on what HD shotgun shells would work would be appreciated. I do know it has to be 2.75 or 3 inch shells that are supposed to be "magnum" whatever that means.

Hope this helps with your advice.

Mike

Federal Premium Load.jpg
Hi Brian,

Yes, my Mossberg is a tactical shotgun and Mossberg calls it the SA-20 Tactical Cruiser. (20 gauge semi-automatic) The barrel length is 20" (cylinder bore). No, there is no choke and I will never add one. It's a smooth bore barrel and almost appears chromed to me (but again, I'm a newbee). The gun is for home defense exclusively (read I will never hunt with it) to back up my Glock 19 (9 mm). I would like advice as to what types of shotgun shells will work in it (the gun will "cycle") for it's intended purpose. I will be taking a basic shotgun class in May but the instructor has told me I need to provide my own ammunition since I will be using my own shotgun and not theirs.

Any advice on what HD shotgun shells would work would be appreciated. I do know it has to be 2.75 or 3 inch shells that are supposed to be "magnum" whatever that means.

Hope this helps with your advice.

Mike
I have a friend who is very knowledgable about firearms and he recommends the Federal Premium Personal Defense 2.75" PD 256. Uses 24 pellets of #4 buckshot and has an 1100 muzzle velocity. What do you think of this load? (see above)
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/27/bet-your-life-on-it-defensive-shotgun-ammunition/

Last edited:
That is the shells I have. Seems to work great. Hopefully never need it for real. LGS stocks it in 20 ga. I also patterned some federal #2 buck 3 inch. good also but only 4 in the tube. 2 3/4 seems better.
I don't hunt either. I took a shotgun course and wanted to be able to practice. No where to just shoot targets with bird or buck shot, only slugs, so I started shooting trap and some skeet.
very good for hand/eye coordination and gun handling. I was hitting 9 or 10 out of 25 each round, good enough for practicing. The RO told me to put a choke in and I immediately went to 16 - 19 out of 25. Still fun and I get some strange looks, shooting a 20 inch tactical on the trap range. Now I found steel target matches. Great fun but I am way too slow (old guy).

my ammo ? Remington Express Buckshot ; will blow a hole the size of a grapefruit for S.D

Cylinder Bore ? you can shoot all the slugs you want thru it .

humm , I guess I'm still confused . Mike D told me I could get a cyl. choke for my Turkey Thug ; meaning I would remove the "turkey" choke and screw in a cyl. bore choke ...at least I thought thats what he meant ....but if a cyl bore is not a choke , then how am i going to put one on ??

humm , I guess I'm still confused . Mike D told me I could get a cyl. choke for my Turkey Thug ; meaning I would remove the "turkey" choke and screw in a cyl. bore choke ...at least I thought thats what he meant ....but if a cyl bore is not a choke , then how am i going to put one on ??
Cylinder bore can actually be 2 different things. My 20 inch tactical barrel came with no choke threads and was considered a cylinder bore barrel. A cylinder bore choke is a choke tube you install in a threaded barrel and it has the same internal diameter as my unthreaded barrel.
Just to confuse things more, I sent my 20 inch cylinder bore barrel out to get threaded so I could put chokes in it for more concentrated power and better control. Not all cylinder bore barrels can be threaded, the SA-20 tactical can because it has some extra metal at the muzzle.
I use Improved Modified (IM) choke for trap and steel targets in 3 gun. I use Improved Cylinder (IC) for slugs, buckshot and shorter range steel. I use extended chokes. a little more barrel length and they protect the barrel a little in case I hit it against something.

Chokes basically reduce (restrict) the internal diameter of the bore. in the case of the cylinder bore choke, it is the same internal diameter (or close) as the cylinder bore barrel.

There are charts on line that tell you the actual restriction opening and what they are used for. I'll see if I can find one and post it.

Lefty, I tink the confusion lies in my useage of the term choke when referring to cylinder bore. A cylinder bore is just the most open choke available and does impart any restriction . Guns threaded for choke tubes have the threads cut such that a cyl choke tube will match the dimensions of cylinder bore. The tube merely protects the threads but does not impart any additional constriction to the shot column. When the cyl tube is installed the barrel is effectively the same as any other cylinder choked barrel.

Does that make more sense?

Here an example of the choke tube I am referring to:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...cylinder-invector-sku149000058-1937-7492.aspx

You fellers have cleared up the fog for me -Thanks !

..if I could go off topic slightly : my Turkey Thug came with a scope rail (at least I think it did) , but I'll be danged if I can find it ...............I got a great deal on a Bushnell Shotgun Scope @ Wally World on clearance ( $29 vs. $67 ) but need a rail to mount it . What kind of rail will fit this dang gun ? It has (4) tiny pre-drilled threaded holes .

my Turkey Thug came with a scope rail (at least I think it did) , but I'll be danged if I can find it...What kind of rail will fit this dang gun ? It has (4) tiny pre-drilled threaded holes.

You could try Mossberg Parts--maybe look in your Owner's Manual for a part #. The OEM part is dished so you can see the "ghlowst-ring" sights through it. If you are going to scope, you might find a suitable replacement by Weaver or similar at your LGS...

ghlowstring.jpg

You fellers have cleared up the fog for me -Thanks !

..if I could go off topic slightly : my Turkey Thug came with a scope rail (at least I think it did) , but I'll be danged if I can find it ...............I got a great deal on a Bushnell Shotgun Scope @ Wally World on clearance ( $29 vs. $67 ) but need a rail to mount it . What kind of rail will fit this dang gun ? It has (4) tiny pre-drilled threaded holes .

FOUND IT !!
The old still in the box in the basement trick !

I put a Improved Cynlinder choke on my "Thug" and now can shoot a variety of ammo . Taking the lil' wife down to the farm this weekend to have her try it out ; she don't like the kick of a 9 m.m pistol - so am pretty sure a couple kicks from the " 20 ga. Thug" will send her running ........

Well !
I got to shoot a variety of 20 ga. shells in my Turkey Thug . It would not cycle Winchester Super X very well at all, it didn't like the 3" Winchester 1400 ft per second stuff either . Down on the farm NO ONE had Magnum,Nitro/Turkey shells ; funny , Thanksgiving and not a soul was selling Turkey ammo ..........go figure .
Anyway , I found this 20 ga. Rio
Royal BlueSteel MGN 20 ( also 1400 f.p.s ). The Thug gobbled up that stuff, it just loved it -not a single stovepipe or problem .........kicked REAL hard though .
The I.C choke I put on it was fine too ......some of the Rio ammo patterned in an almost perfect circle .was pretty cool .

oh yes , ......the wife could hardly hold thegun up ,let alone fire it - when it did go off she almost started crying . I reckon I got to get her a 28 ga. !

View attachment 7621
I have a friend who is very knowledgable about firearms and he recommends the Federal Premium Personal Defense 2.75" PD 256. Uses 24 pellets of #4 buckshot and has an 1100 muzzle velocity. What do you think of this load? (see above)
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/27/bet-your-life-on-it-defensive-shotgun-ammunition/
...I bought a whole crapload of this ammo and stashed it away for when the Zoombies come ...it cycled real well in my Turkey Thug 20 Ga.

Back