• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed carry in the era of terror

Good article but it's not likely that the avg armed citizen, outside of combat trained and experienced military (not talking cooks and clerks here) and SWAT teams or equivalent, will have the training and/or skills to follow his advice.

People who have never carried, or had any experience in combat will likely die in the scenario he paints. The citizenry is totally unprepared for this kind of warfare. The first thing most would do is start taking videos on their cell phones. o_O:rolleyes::oops:

Good read...thanks for the links !

Here's the problem: In this kind of thing the first warning you usually get is when you or the guy next to you catches a bullet, or a bomb, mortar, or RPG goes off. People in this country, including LEO, FBI, etc. have zero listening posts in place for the general population. In real combat, you have flankers, points & multiple layers of people and systems to give you a few seconds warning. That kind of thing is non-existent in a civilian setting, and people in this country would not tolerate that kind of security anyway because it would interfere with their normal lives. I can understand that, and I would not want to impose military fire base security across the entire country. But lacking that, we must understand and accept that non-combatant casualties is guaranteed.

Ive never been in combat but i have trained a lot. The article paints the picture of the perfect warrior. Not to many possess all those skills short of those that make a living doing this sort of training.

My take away from it is one needs to change their mindset to what may come in this scenario and that we always need to continue to hone and expand our skills.

Ive never been in combat but i have trained a lot. The article paints the picture of the perfect warrior. Not to many possess all those skills short of those that make a living doing this sort of training.

My take away from it is one needs to change their mindset to what may come in this scenario and that we always need to continue to hone and expand our skills.

That's all well and good, but there is a huge difference between individuals being well trained in particular skills, and a fire team, squad, company, etc. working as a team. I guarantee that an individual or even several individuals, however skilled they may be separately, would not stand a snowballs chance in hell against a 4 man Marine fire team or the Army equivalent. And this kind of team tactical coordination and skill set is not unique to the US military. ISIS and other organized enemies aren't idiots and they know the value of team operations. These two fools who did the Garland TX thing were pure amateurs, as were their predecessors in Boston and elsewhere.

We haven't yet seen a professional assault in this country, and God help us if we do.

I'd be dead LOL. I'm probably the only Veteran on here (guessing most of us are Veterans?) who has never seen combat LOL!!!!
Mark

Last edited:
I'd be dead LOL. I'm probably the only Veteran on here (guessing most of us are Veterans?) who has never seen combat LOL!!!!
Mark

worry not, because I have hired plenty of combat vets to combat wildfire.....there have been about 20 over the years I wouldn't follow to the corner store.
just because a person survives combat or has had training does not guarantee squat.
If that person truly gets it and applies it then yes, a leg up.

I have been on my heals plenty with these guys and many times I thought " the military will take damn near anyone"......and shove them through training and even promote them .

most people fresh out of the military need to be conditioned to think for themselves again , one of the biggest things with my vets ......hard for them to take action independently, to do something without a superior telling them what to do, when to do it .

Also if it was such a sure victory, a "guarantee" .......US troops would win every contact with "non military" groups. But this is far from the case.
Ever since the French and Indian war , military regulars have been losing battles against unorganized militias, citizen solderers , Guerrilla's, .......hell I talked to young men who got railroaded by heavy fire from kids wielding AK47's, where I was told by these young men that more than half the guns don't have sights.

Good article but it's not likely that the avg armed citizen, outside of combat trained and experienced military (not talking cooks and clerks here) and SWAT teams or equivalent, will have the training and/or skills to follow his advice.

People who have never carried, or had any experience in combat will likely die in the scenario he paints. The citizenry is totally unprepared for this kind of warfare. The first thing most would do is start taking videos on their cell phones. o_O:rolleyes::oops:

Hey, hey. Steven Seagal was a cook in "Under Siege". ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

That's all well and good, but there is a huge difference between individuals being well trained in particular skills, and a fire team, squad, company, etc. working as a team. I guarantee that an individual or even several individuals, however skilled they may be separately, would not stand a snowballs chance in hell against a 4 man Marine fire team or the Army equivalent. And this kind of team tactical coordination and skill set is not unique to the US military. ISIS and other organized enemies aren't idiots and they know the value of team operations. These two fools who did the Garland TX thing were pure amateurs, as were their predecessors in Boston and elsewhere.

We haven't yet seen a professional assault in this country, and God help us if we do.

I somewhat agree but history and the laws of probability occasionally show otherwise. I'm not one to give up hope and roll over, hopefully none of us ever find ourselves in the middle of it to find out.

I somewhat agree but history and the laws of probability occasionally show otherwise. I'm not one to give up hope and roll over, hopefully none of us ever find ourselves in the middle of it to find out.

Sure, there have been some successful events that have turned in favor of the "un-organized". But usually those revolutions and such that start out with nothing more than a mob of individuals, quickly get themselves organized along the lines of a professional army. You really need a chain of command and leaders who can plan and carry out the required vision, strategies, tactics, and logistics to be successful. Even Che Guevera recognized this. :)

Are talking about the offensive or defensive side?

When an attack like this happens the odds are no one will be prepared for it, the attackers have planned it and picked a location with that in mind... unless they just happen to stumble upon a Seal Team having lunch at Tim Hortons when the attack happens. ;-D

All we can do is practice the skills we have, learn as much as we can and hope for the best when the SHTF.

Are talking about the offensive or defensive side?

When an attack like this happens the odds are no one will be prepared for it, the attackers have planned it and picked a location with that in mind... unless they just happen to stumble upon a Seal Team having lunch at Tim Hortons when the attack happens. ;-D

All we can do is practice the skills we have, learn as much as we can and hope for the best when the SHTF.

Predictability is always uncertain. And, I agree that there really isn't much the avg Joe can do other than what you suggest. Therein lies the larger problem. We know there are existing threats out there, but as a society we are hamstrung in dealing with them by our own culture and laws. Tough situation.

A cliche comes to mind: "In order to kill a monster, one must become a monster." I don't think the American public is quite ready to do that..........yet.

A cliche comes to mind: "In order to kill a monster, one must become a monster." I don't think the American public is quite ready to do that..........yet.

The sheeple still have the false sense of security. Society has become so brainwashed I'm not real sure how much it will actually take to get them to change that mindset. They think that just enacting more laws and more overreaching government is the cureall for all that is wrong with the world

They think that just enacting more laws and more overreaching government is the cureall for all that is wrong with the world

It's not entirely "their" (or rather "our" ) fault. Governments of any type or form (including tribes) actively promote this. That's how they retain and increase their power. Another cliche: "Beware of those who present themselves as a savior."

You might be interested in this book:

Cannibals and Kings: Origins of Cultures, by Marvin Harris. http://www.amazon.com/Cannibals-Kin...&qid=1431368972&sr=1-3&keywords=marvin+Harris

Back