• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Confusion about mag capacity.

I saw a Night Train2 in 308Win at the LGS and I like the look of it. I am worried about the mag capacity.

It states 5 rounds and we have a match here that requires 10 shots with a magazine change (no matter what your capacity).

Does the Patriot 308 mag actually hold 5 or 4 plus one in the chamber?

My 338WM Patriot is listed as a capacity of 4, but the mags only hold 3.

The point is, unless the mag capacity is 5, I would not be competitive and the rifle of little use to me.

We've had a couple people on here with that model. I'm unable to search the posts right now but maybe later tonight. Otherwise, maybe a call to OFM? What the gun shop say? Will they try to load it and see? Is it a detachable magazine?

I just joined the site and haven't looked around too much, but this is a topic I needed to get in on.

I have a 2015 Mossberg Patriot in .308. My original magazine hold 5 with no problem. I was told by Mossberg last year that since the Patriot was a new version additional magazines would not be available till 2016. So I call them and now they say they only make the 4x4 magazine for the Patriot and have no plans to make a 5 round magazine. The customer service person "said" she talked to a tech who "said" the magazine on a Patriot is only a 4 round magazine. The owner's manual even says the non-magnum or standard caliber magazine holds 5. So I have sent a copy of that part of the manual to Mossberg and am asking does the 4x4 magazine actually hold 5 or not? I am not going to buy something and have to turn around & return it. Anybody here bought any of the 4x4 mags? Does it hold 5 rounds of .308? Thanks for any help.

Thanks, I would be very interested if a 5 round mag was an option, but not a 4, as I explained, we have matches that require 10 rounds with a reload, the first 5 rounds is easy with one up the spout, but after that, the four round mag is a real deal killer.

DH64,
I found a discussion about Moss Pat mags at: http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/caution-mossberg-patriot-308.1592045/page-2

This post from Dec 2015 may be of some interest to you.
I did get extra magazines about a month after my original post.
Got them directly from Mossberg. They are called "4 X 4", but do have a five round capacity. If you order from them MAKE SURE they confirm t hey are sending you the 5-round variety.
By the was, extremely accurate rifle.
tbc
fnfalman,Dec 21, 2015

[This a duplicate of the message I left in the 4x4 forum.]

Back