• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Connecticut losing big

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170303/belt-tightening-in-connecticut-the-cost-of-gun-control

FRIDAY, MARCH 3, 2017

A recent study released by the Connecticut-based National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) examined the economic impact of the gun industry and gun control laws on state jobs and revenue in the Constitution State.

The firearms industry has a long history in Connecticut, including companies with roots that date back to before the Civil War. According to the NSSF, though, in 2016 Connecticut had 4,900 people employed in the firearms industry and related fields, a drop of almost 40% from 2013.

Tax revenues paid by the industry also dropped substantially, from $134 million to $85 million during the period. Similarly, the industry’s total impact on the state’s economy was down by nearly $700 million. One firearm manufacturer, PTR Industries of Bristol, Connecticut, in announcing its move out of the state, pointed to new gun laws, adding that “we feel that our industry as a whole will continue to be threatened so long as it remains in a state where its elected leaders have no regard for the rights of those who produce and manufacture its wealth.”

These are jobs and revenues that the state can ill-afford to lose. As noted in an earlier alert, Connecticut is in the midst of a fiscal crisis, facing a two-year, $3.6 billion budget deficit. The state is already treading water on jobs: one commentator estimates that the employment level in Connecticut in 2016 was below the level of jobs that existed 27 years earlier, in 1989. Employment in Connecticut’s manufacturing sector, in particular, has decreased drastically over the last 25 years.

There’s no mystery as to why firearms industries are abandoning Connecticut and other jurisdictions that disregard constitutional freedoms and the economic contributions made by gun-rights supporters. Gun companies don’t feel welcome in states with anti-gun agendas and extreme laws restricting or prohibiting their products. After Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy imposed sweeping gun control reforms in 2013, a Newington gun store and shooting range operator observed that “Nobody in the gun business wants to be associated with Connecticut. My family has been in business in Connecticut since 1919, and I can’t wait to get … out of this state…There are a lot of states in the union that love what I do.”

This unfavorable business climate comes with a price tag. Analyzing what it calls “the Malloy Economy,” the NSSF concluded that if gun industry contributions to state tax revenues over the last three years been equal to those made in 2013, Connecticut “would have another $140 million in its coffers.”

Connecticut is far from an isolated case. Following the imposition of new gun control laws in Colorado in 2013 – measures promoted by Governor John Hickenlooper – Magpul Industries relocated its manufacturing operations from Erie, Colorado to more gun-friendly Wyoming. The move cost Colorado at least $85 million in lost revenues.

Instead of seeking to retain and attract firearm businesses and jobs, as other states have done, Connecticut has opted to make itself even less appealing to gun companies and gun owners. As we’ve reported previously, the governor’s new two-year budget proposes exorbitant increases in the fees for pistol permits and background checks. These proposals are projected to bring in an estimated $11.6 million per year, a small fraction of the millions that the firearms industry and related fields would have generated had things remained unchanged since 2013.

Unfortunately for the residents of the state (and the gun owners who will be shouldering these increased fees and costs), Governor Malloy looks committed to his anti-gun agenda, regardless of its very real impact on his state’s economy.

Everything you read about that asshat is true....unless it's praises for him doing something good, which he never has done. I am getting to the point that I want to move. and if the wife wants to come, fine, if not, that's fine too....I f***ing hate it here....absolutely hate it.

Well, Rip, you could always move to wonderful gun-friendly California. :rolleyes:

Hey at least the weather is good.
20170307_120706.jpg
This was yesterday at the shooting range. :)

I hear you Rip... Hate NY!!! Wife is having second thoughts on moving cause our boy may not move with us (will be 18+ when we are ready).

Well, Rip, you could always move to wonderful gun-friendly California. :rolleyes:

Been there, done that....1992-2002...
The weather was great, but there was too much crap going on, and It was time to go. Hadn't seen the family but for one week a year....
I miss the job, but not the place...

I hear you Rip... Hate NY!!! Wife is having second thoughts on moving cause our boy may not move with us (will be 18+ when we are ready).

I really want to go south...N. Carolina? Texas, Tennessee??

KY or TN are my top picks if I leave MI!!

I want TN... great carry laws, low taxes, good economy and I can hike the AT.
Might want to look at the "low taxes" in TN. Sales tax pushing, and sometimes exceeding, 10%. Personal property taxes. Yes, there is no income tax. I'd like to live in TN as well as KY but the PP taxes would hit us hard. House, 2 cars, 1 bike, 1 boat, 3 trailers (boat, cargo, tow-behind-the-bike).

Might want to look at the "low taxes" in TN. Sales tax pushing, and sometimes exceeding, 10%. Personal property taxes. Yes, there is no income tax. I'd like to live in TN as well as KY but the PP taxes would hit us hard. House, 2 cars, 1 bike, 1 boat, 3 trailers (boat, cargo, tow-behind-the-bike).

A house in my neighborhood has a property tax of $10,000 - $15,000 a year and our sales tax rate is 8.625%

I rent cause I'm not binding myself to this state.

A house in my neighborhood has a property tax of $10,000 - $15,000 a year and our sales tax rate is 8.625%

I rent cause I'm not binding myself to this state.
That's insane, my property taxes are only around $2K a year.

That's insane, my property taxes are only around $2K a year.
it's cause I'm paying for illegals, welfare rats, and crack addicts to have free housing, food, education and spending cash.

Teachers union (that I audit) have teachers starting out the gate at $50k and end after 15-20 years with $120k plus they have a fully funded pension which is subsidized by property taxes.

Must be effing nice. Dont get me started on town employees... of which I audit.

Damn, WM! Those are some high taxes. That's one reason I'd never move back to NY, my home state. We pay $3600/yr right now. 6.75% sales tax.

I have no complaints in NC. However, just like is true in ANY state I have ever lived in (and I have lived in quite a few), you do not want to live in the most populated areas. Stay outside of any city limits and I think you will be pleased. Take care. Tom Worthington

Taxes are high but we have very good services here.

Housing is very high, though far less than the big cities.

Food is reasonable, but gasoline is the highest this side of Hawaii.

I really want to go south...N. Carolina? Texas, Tennessee??

PSSSST: I got an offer you can't refuse--come on down to FL! :) No state income tax, sales tax of 6-7%, gas is not too bad (currently about $2.25/reg), weather in northern FL isn't too bad or if you like it hotter come to CFL. I've got a nice house, 1 acre lot, nice neighborhood: prop tax was $1800 last year, HO Ins. was over $3000 though! :eek: Last month's power was $150 with heat pump and pool pump going--gets up to $350/month in the summer. Water is about $20/month (septic). No road salt so cars last longer (except on coast) although the sun is hard on paint. Window tint IS legal, no vehicle inspection laws... Schools are OK--I suppose they could be worse... Republican Governor and Legislature, FL voted for Trumpy and signaled the end for the Beast! Gun laws are lenient, carry permit easy to get, suppressors are legal.

The bad? Gets hotter 'n hell 8 months out of the year and thunderstorms every afternoon in the rainy season. Occasional hurricane or tornado. The cities suck and are full of undesirables and traffic although Daytona Beach isn't too bad... Rents are high but buying a house isn't too bad. Everybody else wants to move here--lot of homeless schmucks that should have stayed where they came from... Terrain is boring (aside from the beach)--highest points are landfills.

...I'd like to live in TN as well as KY but the PP taxes would hit us hard. House, 2 cars, 1 bike, 1 boat, 3 trailers (boat, cargo, tow-behind-the-bike).
OA, true TN sales tax runs about 9.5%, but I don't pay PP taxes on cars, bikes, boats, etc. because I don't use them to operate a business. Come on down. .. the water is fine.

No PP taxes in TN? Only PP business taxes? That's cool. Why don't they call them Business Property taxes instead of PP? Hmmm. I had asked a friend in Johnson City about taxes and that is what I was told. Maybe I misunderstood him. Or he doesn't want me to move down there and steal all the fish from his river...LOL. Either way, no personal PP is a good thing.

Back