• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FINALLY FINISHED: Crafting wood furniture for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave

Just a thought. Regarding the front bolts, how about black plastic sleeves over the threads so only the brass heads and nuts stand out.
Actually 1/4" fuel line would work better since it would compress a bit, but I don't know if rubber is a good idea. Just thinking out loud.

Not a bad idea. A little heat shrink would do nicely.

When you get the chance also add loktite under the front band on the heat shield. It will help keep the shield in place.

Thanks will do. Currently it's just mocked up with some electrical tape under it (stuck to the heat shield band) to keep it from marring the finish on the barrel.

Not sure how I will approach that when I bolt it down for good. Obviously the electrical tape would get gooey with the heat. I'm not sure if anything is actually necessary under there but i don't like the dry metal on metal contact

not trying to blow my own skirt up but hot damn this is coming out bad ass!!!!

Got some longer 6-32 brass screws and associated hardware, bent them slightly to clear the barrel since this is a mossberg 500 normal barrel heat shroud i modded to fit a heavy barrel, and tightened them down. When installed after I do the bead sight, i will loctite them in place and get it tight. this should keep the shroud from migrating, I hope.

Ahhhh.....do I see a bit of leather wrap on the grip??? (wrong picture)

That little bit of paracrod grip wrap that I see you've done looks to match pretty well. A braided paracord wrap I think would set it off amazingly and offer a little bit more traction on the grip for you. Smart move on removing the core of the paracord for your wrap, it's a nice touch.
main-qimg-6d414d2d78a334624c1256cf0bbb9d30-c

That little bit of paracrod grip wrap that I see you've done looks to match pretty well. A braided paracord wrap I think would set it off amazingly and offer a little bit more traction on the grip for you. Smart move on removing the core of the paracord for your wrap, it's a nice touch.
main-qimg-6d414d2d78a334624c1256cf0bbb9d30-c

I like that braid, but i dont know what type of braid it is.

I like that braid, but i dont know what type of braid it is.
I've been searching to find out what braid that is but either I find more complicated ones like the turks head style wrap or I find other more simple but different ones. Here is a link to a couple that look good and are simple, the last 2 of the three shown. More then anything it is all about how tight and consistent you can keep the braid.
http://www.wikihow.com/Wrap-Paracord-Around-a-Knife-Handle

Just for reference sake if you don't get dizzy or confused from watching tutorials you can attempt the turks head knot wrap. Here is a sample of what it looks like. Just sample images of someone else's work. I can only do most basic paracord stuff myself.
017.jpg

Love to see a shockwave birdshead grip made from some type of animals horn or antler................:rolleyes:
,,,,,or inlays on a wood grip......

I seem to remember you had a white dot front sight (like a pearl). Look at reply #41. Al Capone wore a white carnation. The white pearl would be in keeping with the "classy gangsta" look.

Yeah, but I also have a big brass bead and a tap for that size thread, so, I'll be doing that as soon as my drill bit arrives.

You're good Doc! I really like the paracord look. 95jza, I think you were the inspiration for that.
Doc, you must be a surgeon. I see sutures, knots, and scaples in your Shockwave....wraping cord, tying knots, and carving wood.:rolleye:

I'm far from a surgeon or expert or professional, but I like working on things....and not to toot my own horn, but most of the time it comes out pretty well. Thats not to say I havent royally effed up stuff before, sometimes thats really expensive.

Here's my 1895 that I have owned for several years. this winter I decided to cut a new dovetail in the bottom of the barrel, install a longer mag tube, replace the sights, wrap the lever, then I took a set of furniture and reprofiled the front so it didnt have a "perch belly" shape, and made it way more narrow like a winchester, then on the stock I repaired a chip with pins and hide glue, removed all the checkering, and feathered it back out so it still fit flush with the wood.

Metal work, wood work, cord work, its all fun for me.

comparison of the original to the new wood:

I'm humbled.
I see Shockwave similarities in your 1895........leather sling, wood, and class.

(I bought a Marlin 336C/.35 Rem, in 1986, and have taken many deer with it, and imagined dressing it up, but, you take the cake.)
I'm glad to hang out with you and the other folks that bring talent to the Shockwave.
I think, when it's all said and done, folks on this thread are gonna teach Mossberg, and the aftermarket, a lot about the Shockwave and it's potential.
Keep it coming everyone!

Back