• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Crossbow limb issues.

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I pulled my MIddleton 355SS out yesterday to shoot a bit and noticed one of the limbs is twisting and the other is splintering.

LimbSplit_001.jpg LimbSplit_002.jpg

LimbTwist_001.jpg LimbTwist_002.jpg

I contacted the MFG but they have had a reputation for not getting back and I honestly do knot even know if they are still fully operating. It was a small operation, the guy has mad bow making skills but not so great at running a company.

I also inquired on a crossbow forum if there were other options, waiting for some responses.

It's been a great bow. I took my last deer and turkey with it.

The Excalibur and Barnett are still shooting great so it looks like those will be my go to bows this year.

That's a bummer. And if I'm remembering correctly, you were quite excited to get that bow.

Yes!

Most people have never heard of Middleton but it is a nice bow, the trigger is asesome.

To me is was a perfect balance of size, weight and speed.

Funny the xbow snobs all told me the Barnet Raptor was a POS but I pulled it out yesterday and it still shoots great.

My old Excal Phoenix, despite being slow by todays bows, is still a tack driver as well.

Luckly I still have backups for hunting.

I'm weiging options as to trying to fit some Excal limbs to this bow or just cut my losses and sell it as a project bow or parts.

I hope you find a fix i know how it is getting attached to certain items. I looked around over on archery talk seems a few have been trying to make contact. I dont know how old this number is but someone had posted it 1-289-400-8875. At least yo have a backup and a backup for that too.

Things may be lookng up.

From the feedback I got on the crossbow forums it looks like I can replace the limbs with those from an Excalibur Matrix series with a little modification to the bow. I was told the blem limbs are available for around $80. If that is true then it sounds like the way to go. I'll keep you posted.

I have a new set on the way from Excalibur. Hope the advice was correct.

So the Mfg. wasn't helpful?

So the Mfg. wasn't helpful?

I have not been able to elicit a response from them, which seems to be the norn for several years.

Hopefully I will eventually hear back but there are guys who have been trying for years. I knew that was an issue back when I bought it and took the chance with it.

I'm ok with the frankenbow solution.

Hopefully the bow solution will work out for you.

I have received the limbs I orderred from Excalibur. I hope to figure out what I need to do to make them work and have them installed so I can test it this weekend.

Not enough hours in the day.

OK, I got to work on it tonight and have the limbs fitted,...I think.

I put the risor in the vise and kept taking equal passes with a file on each side until the limb would fit into place, then I hit it with light sand paper to get rid of any burs or sharp edges.
355SS_LimbPockets_002.jpg 355SS_LimbPockets_003.jpg 355SS_LimbPockets_004.jpg 355SS_LimbPockets_005.jpg 355SS_LimbPockets_006.jpg

Waiting to get a little feedback from the experts on the CB forum before I proceed to make sure I am on the right track

Need a new string, the Middleton String appears to be a little short so I will pick up a slightly longer string for the Matrix series and try that.
355SS_NewLimbs_001.jpg

355SS_NewLimbs_002.jpg

355SS_NewLimbs_003.jpg

Once I get the new string I'll get some better pics outside instead of against the basement floor. LOL

I'm hoping that gets you back in business again.

Looks like you did a good job with the file and sandpaper.

Installed the ADF and got it all together tonight.

Shot it in the basement and it is functionally sound. Need to run it through the chrony to see if and how much the speed changed and adjust the scope.

2017-10-12 22.18.08.jpg

2017-10-12 22.17.25.jpg

2017-10-12 22.16.45.jpg

2017-10-12 22.16.03.jpg

I have always wanted to build a crossbow. It seems like such a simple device that it's amazing how long it took human beings to invent it.

But then I guess it wasn't really necessary until the invention of plate mail.

Back