• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Crossbow: Pics and Discussion

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Crossbows? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

Over the summer I got to shoot a Parker Enforcer. I enjoyed it but it has a weird recoil compared to a gun. It was extreamly accurate out to about 30 years and pretty good out to 40. Once it got past 35 yards or so the bolt dropped noticibly quicker. I venture to say I could shoot much furthur with my compound than a crossbow. I've made 60-80 yard shoots on field targets and 3D before without too much problem with my compound.

The guy that owned the bow I shot missed 3 deer with it the season prior. Not exactly the slam dunk that many claim it to be. He took two with it on opening day this year and both were complete pass throughs at about 30 yards.

I've been looking at one for myself to play around with. Not sure how much I will hunt with it as I am still fully capable of shooting a compound or trad bow. But it does intrigue me. For some reason I'm drawn to the recurve style limbs over the compound.

I have an old Gamo crossbow that a friend found in his attic but it has no safety and the string is pretty frayed. it might be fun to plink with but definitely not something I would hunt with.

I'm hoping to pick one up in the next year to play around with.

Here's some pics of my wall hanger:

Bows_021.jpg

Bows_020.jpg

Bows_019.jpg

Bows_018.jpg

Bows_017.jpg

Bows_016.jpg

Bows_015.jpg

Nice Crossbow Gary. What are the specs on that one? What kind of range are you getting good groups?

I'm still looking to get something I can hunt with and am rather partial to the recurve limb models.

Check this site out where i got mine. These bows are very affordable. It was free shipping for me since i live in Canada but shouldn't be too much to ship to where you are especially for the price you'll pay for one of these bows. You live in Michigan and these bows are right across the border from you in Ontario. I have shot quite a few deer with this bow and it will do the same damage as any $600.00+ model. I get good groups with it. I'm comfortable at 30 yards even though it has a dot for 40 yards. I believe this one shoots 310fps and it's a 175 pound pull.

http://www.crossbowcanada.com/index.html

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check them out.

Here's a pic of me with a deer i took with my Jaguar crossbow. If you check the pics on the site that i gave you the link to, there is a couple more pics of me when i gave him a good review for his bows.
100_0940.jpg

All their bows come with bolts and scopes. Some have quivers and straps depending on which bow you want. My Jaguar came with all of the above.

Thanx L.E.S..
I should point out that i am in no way associated with these bows nor am i a representative for them. I am not trying to advertise for them here either as i do understand forum policies for company advertising. I stumbled upon this site when i was looking for a new crossbow myself. If i was a serious bow hunter or strictly just a bow hunter then i would probably step it up a notch and pay big bucks for one like an Excalibur. I just think some of their bows are a great price and this is the second bow i've bought from them. Both of which i've taken deer. I've missed a lot too as i have a hard time judging range. Wife got me a range finder for xmas so hopefully that problem is solved.

No worries Sir.

I didn't read anything in your posts that looked like you were trying to peddle crossbows. Just seems that you're happy with yours and gave us an excellent review. We appreciate your contribution and enthusiasm!

It's funny because this other hunting forum i'm on in B.C.? They wont even allow you to post a good deal at a store. If Walmart is having a 25% off all camo sale, they wont let you post it or tell any other member via topic unless Walmart is a sponsor on the site. Pretty dumb. I know some people will join a forum for the sole purpose of advertising. I'm a admin on a hunting forum myself and i'm always having to go in there and clean up the spam that's been posted for advertising medication.

Yes Sir,

We see our share of that BS here as well. There is a line that get's crossed every once in a while, but please don't hesitate to post a good deal here if you see one. There's even a dedicated section in the MARKETPLACE sub-forum for sharing any good deals that you find...

Hot Deals

We love spending, I mean SAVING money on firearms and gear... :D

No worries, If I thought you were just trying to advertise I would have taken a different route then giving you a rep point. ;)

I've looked at the Excalibur's as well. They are nice but they are pricy.

I don't know what the terrain is where you typically hunt but what I will do is define physical landmarks that I know the yardage of (usually by physically pacing them off or using a rangefinder). Makes it easier to gauge or verify what your guesstimate is at the time. Rangefinders are nice but can take time and cost movement when the deer are coming in.

I've often placed my own landmarks out where none were available. These could be sticks, marker flag, tent stakes, etc. For deer I try to use something that will not be as obvious and will not hold as much scent.

I missed a turkey last year with my bow because I miss judged yardage on the edge of an open field. I had some sticks jammed in the ground very shortly after that.

I prefer sitting in a tree stand or a ground blind so i will get time to use the range finder. Last year however i seen a nice buck i was putting the stalk on and when i got to the top of a hill where i thought he would come out, he was right in front of me at 25 yards. For some reason i thought he was at 40 yards and put my 40 yard dot on his lungs. Makes you wanna cry when you watch that arrow sail a couple of inches above his back. I myself while sitting will pace off the yardages from certain landmarks such as trails, tree, bush, stumps etc

Back