• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Custom built workbench

I have been half heartedly looking into a work bench for my basement for a while now and I think I may have found the solution for what I want. I wasn't really all that jazzed about a lot of the prebuilt stuff I was finding in Craftsman and the like. But I did just come across something today that has my interest.

2X4 Basics

This 4'x8' Workbench would take

(1) Workbench Leg Kit @ $59.99
(1) 6pc. Shelflink Kit @ $29.99
(18) 8' 2x4's (need to price lumber out)
(1) 10' 2x4
(3) 4'x8'x3/4" Plywood
I would also like to make a pegboard back for the top

25.jpg

Not sure about you but I like to be able to sit at my workbench sometimes. That middle shelf would seem to get in the way of that.

Other than that, you might be able to save a few bucks by using the metal reinforcements intended for decks rather than the plastic, special-purpose pieces in your photo.

My "custom" workbench is made out of 2X4's and an old countertop that I found on Craigslist for $20. I put a peg board riser on it rather than shelves. That way I can configure it with shelves or other peg board accessories. Happy to take a couple pics if you want.

Mudinyeri said:
Other than that, you might be able to save a few bucks by using the metal reinforcements intended for decks rather than the plastic, special-purpose pieces in your photo.

+1. Check out the 2x hangers, corner pieces and all the different construction braces and hangers in Lows or the like. Much better than plastic. I built two in the last 4 months.

I built my reloading bench the expensive way...

remodeled the kitchen.
I had about 6ft of counter top left. I built a couple base cabinets, braced it with 2x6 and 4 X 1/8" flat bar under the press.

Fronty Owner said:
I had about 6ft of counter top left. I built a couple base cabinets, braced it with 2x6 and 4 X 1/8" flat bar under the press.

I was going to do along the same lines. My Mother-In-Law recently rebuilt her kitchen and I ended up with the old countertop and some choice hardwood from the flooring as scrap and the countertop has been earmarked for a reloading/tool bench for the spare bedroom.

It will work fine with a bit of reinforcement. Most counter tops are particle board and needs to be bolted to a backup plate.
I only have a single stage press on mine so its not alot of force.

Something else that makes an awesomely solid bench is an old solid wood door! Well it doesnt have to be old, it could be newish.

I used to have a few and made a computer desk out of them. I was a totally amature carpenter back then but it held up! I made shelves and all and made it to fit in a corner!

I wouldnt do it again like that, but a door slab does make a sweet bench top!

I'm diggin the 2 x hangers too and also like to be able to sit down! It does look like a nice kit though!

Rossignol said:
Something else that makes an awesomely solid bench is an old solid wood door! Well it doesnt have to be old, it could be newish.

I used to have a few and made a computer desk out of them. I was a totally amature carpenter back then but it held up! I made shelves and all and made it to fit in a corner!

I wouldnt do it again like that, but a door slab does make a sweet bench top!

I'm diggin the 2 x hangers too and also like to be able to sit down! It does look like a nice kit though!
:lol: thats what I have in my shed.
Previous owner of this house was a bit rough of doors. so as I replaced the ones with holes, they became shelving.

Back