• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

cylinder bore with slugs?

leverett

Copper BB
Ok so I just bought a mossber maverick 12 gauge with a 18.5 barrels and have had no reply from mossberg so I figured this would be a good place to ask I have not found anything in the owners manual but can I fire slugs without damageing the barrel and if so is there a kind of slug that would be best

Hello, Hi, and welcome to MO!!!

You can fire slugs with your cylinder bore barrel, rifled slugs (also refered to as Foster Type) are designed for smoothbore/cylinder bore barrels. Sabot slugs are designed to be used in fully rifled barrel, (sometimes called a slug barrel). The sabots are more expensive and are designed to be stabilized by the rifling, so in a smoothbore barrel, they begin to tumble in flight. They would only only be moderately accurate in a cylinder bore, but are far more expensive than rifled slugs which will actually perform better through your gun.

The short answer;
Rifled slugs (Foster Type) are good in your cylinder bore barrel. ;)

Rossignol, as usual is exactly correct.

There is no point in buying sabot slugs, and any 2-3/4 inch or 3-inch rifled slug will be fine in your shotgun.

HELLO AND WELCOME!!!!!

+1 for Rossignol!
Look for: Remington Sluggers, Federal Tru-ball (LE optional), Winchester Super X, and my favorite Brenneke!!

NOT: Hornady's, Lightfields, anything that says "SABOT"

However, can someone elaborate on Remington Buckhammers? I have read they are exclusive to Rifled Barrels however, today I picked up a box and they shot pretty well I feel for cheapies... Might be something else this kind feller can add too their list!! The box didn't say for rifled barrels that is why I impulse bought them 0:)

Welcome from MI.

As far as slugs, nothing more I can add that has not been covered.

My local range only allows slug ammo for shotguns, so I've put more than a few down range. Rifled slugs can be plenty accurate out of a smoothe bore and make some really cool holes in the paper...

The target above was at 50yds using the Centurion 1-1/8oz slugs that they stopped making. I've since fallen in love with Federal LE Tactical rifled slugs...

Don't hold your breath on them... I don't know a Foster Style slug that specifically states that it is unsafe to shoot in any type of choke. Brenneke claims that their slugs can be shot accurately out of all chokes! That is saying something. I would not go past modified for accuracy's sake but if you had something like a .410 single shot with permanent FULL choke, you've got no choice

I did get a reply from Brenneke on those! They are specifically designed for rifled barrels. The ribs on the slug are reversed from how the Black Magic Magnums are, as too engage the rifling. They should work with moderate accuracy out of smooth bore, however. They would not sell directly too me, I must wait till someone has them in stock.

leverett said:
Thanks for all the help I am really suprised to still not have a reply from mossberg

I just bought the same gun. You don't need a reply from Mossberg. You got just about all the info you need in this thread. You'll find that some rifled/Foster slugs will perform better than others in your gun.
FWIW
YMMV

DFBonnett said:
You'll find that some rifled/Foster slugs will perform better than others in your gun.

+1 on that! Remingtons may shoot really well from yours, where Brennekes shoot really well from mine! I think may have said this before, but if not here I go:

Don't expect phenomenal accuracy out of your shotgun with Foster slugs. Slugs aren't a MOA or SUB-MOA projectile at all! Atleast Foster Slugs aren't!

If one day I have the money for a Savage 212 Slug Gun... I will! Reports tell of 600yd shots with hits/kill

EDIT: Above mentioned savage has a fully rifled barrel for SABOT slugs

Back