• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dad got his 1895 back

diyguy

.270 WIN
Back In 1900 Oscar Quisla Bought an 1895 Winchester rifle at a hardware store in Portage County, WI. The new rifle (serial number 749) and 3 boxes of 30-40 Krag shells cost him $45. He took that rifle on many deer hunts in WI.
There were no deer in Portage county at that time so Oscar and friends would board a train and ride North until they reached a logging camp where they would hitch a ride by horse and wagon where they rode with their tent, blankets and food until they reached the winter deer yards where the deer would congregate to eat slashings left behind by the loggers. The picture below was taken in 1905 when Oscar (far left) was 25 years old. On this trip they returned with one buck and one doe for each man. Oscar is holding the 1895 Winchester which has a shiny receiver. Most guns back then had a black or brown finish.
OscarQuisla2.jpg

OscarQuisla3.jpg

My Father’s family farm was only two miles from the Quisla Farm and since My Grandfather did not hunt, my father learned about hunting from Oscar. In 1958, when my Father was 23 years old, Oscar sold him the 1895 Lever action with 3 boxes of 30-40 Krag shells for $45.
In 1961, my Parents moved to Milwaukee and my Father left the 30-40 Krag back at the farm since he had no use for the Rifle in the city but he would travel back to the farm each year to deer hunt with the krag.
In 1964 Oscar Died at the age of 84. That year, when my Father returned to Portage County to live and farm with his young family, he went to the home farm to retrieve the Krag. His older brother who was never happy about my Father leaving the farm for the big city, told my Father that the gun was no longer his and that his older brother was keeping the rifle as a remembrance of Oscar and that is “Farm property”.
OscarQuisla4.jpg

As the years went by, my Father made attempts to get the rifle back but was unsuccessful. In 2008 with his brother having died in his 80's, my Father was back on the home farm doing some repairs and when finished, his sister asked how much she owed him for this troubles. My father said that he would like to have the Krag back. His sister went to the closet and retrieved the old rifle and gave it to him.
OscarQuisla5.jpg

OscarQuisla6.jpg

OscarQuisla7.jpg

OscarQuisla9.jpg

OscarQuisla91.jpg

I asked my Father (now 79) what he had planned for the 118 year old Krag and he said “I’m gonna shoot a deer with it”
OscarQuisla8.jpg

My oldest brother who reloads will make a few boxes of 30-40 cartridges for him and after the rifle is thoroughly cleaned and inspected, I would expect to see my Father in the woods at some point with the Krag.[/quote]

I'm usually not very sentimental, but that brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you !!!

My gosh, what a endearing story.

Thank You. Reading that really made my day.

Back