• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Damascus steel

Upon examination I found out one thing that makes this an inexpensive knife.

The Damascus bolsters are overlays on the liner and the entire liner is not Damascus.

Also you can see that the blade has what appears to be a thicker "keel" layer, and it's more obvious on the spine which I showed here and on the side of the blade pictured above which reads "Magnum by Boker".
20170920_235632.jpg
That layer is not perfectly centered in the blade, as you can see by comparing the Magnum side with the side of the blade marked "37 layers".

I hope you get many years service and enjoyment Cadd.
Im not 100% but i believe what you are seeing a type of sandwich damascus with damascus billet wrapped around a carbon steel core. Doesnt make it bad this method does have merit. Id give it a sharpening and enjoy it.

Oh I think it's a fine little knife for $70.

I have paid more for ones that I like less.

I knew it wasn't a top quality collector type knife when I bought it, but I really liked it and I couldn't pass it up.

Well that's a lucky break George!

That looks like the type of knife that's made by forging chains together. Whatever it is the pattern is gorgeous.

Next weekend the Wannemacher gun show is in Tulsa. It's the biggest all year. They always have several knife vendors that have something for everybody , from very inexpensive to very expensive. I am always on the low end, but enjoy looking at the high end knives.

I would love to go except for one thing.

I absolutely hate big events where there are 8000 cars and 10,000 people and 4 PortaJohns, only parking for 7000, and other people haggling for the things I want to buy.

(This would be a gun show in Sacramento. I don't know what it's like in Oklahoma.)

I know exactly how you feel Cadd. I try to avoid most such things these days, but this particular show is the biggest that comes to town. There will be a lot of folks there looking for deals, and lots of tire kickers.

I picked this up at a gun show yesterday for $65. It was handmade by a fella in Wisconsin. The knife is 8 inches long with the blade being 3 and a half . He also had an acid etched blade for folks to compare with the Damascus blades. Hard to tell the difference just looking. The fella told me it had been folded 15 times.

thumbnail_IMG_20180127_210646164.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20180127_210738223.jpg

Anyways, I couldn't seem to walk away and ended up with the knife. I am happy with the knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
so . . .binary math?
8192,16384, 32768

That knife has nearly 33,000 layers.

:cool:

I didn't do any math, he also mentioned 30 layers. So, maybe he said 5 and I heard 15. The spine is very thick though. Probably 3/8 inch. Then again since it gets drawn out over and over maybe bi nary math doesn't work. I don't know.

I do know I am pretty happy with it, and if someone would give me a penny the 1st of February and double it every day for the rest of the month I would buy another knife.

Back