• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

De-tacticalizing a 500.

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I went back and forth on the thread title. I really wanted to call it Un-screwing a 500, but thought that would be a bad example to set.

Nonetheless, I'm taking my old 500 back to somewhat stock configuration.

I no longer need the front grip sticking out of the bottom of the handguard.

The front vertical grip did come in handy for carrying the gun through the woods. I used it a lot while I was working as a lineman to dispatch rattlers, copperheads, and maybe even chase off a bear or two. But when I had to walk the line, sometimes it went for miles off the beaten path. Used it that way a bunch of times. At night and bad weather and even in a forest fire once. It worked good for what I used it for.

The vertical grip did make it easier to carry, especially with the receiver and stock tucked up underneath of my armpit (which you can easily carry it that way with a vertical front grip).

But, I've passed that torch on to younger men now. I've paid my dues. It's someone elses' turn to do that now.

The cylinder choke now has an interchangeable choke so I can hunt with the short gun. I don't need a 28 inch barrel to kill a squirrel or rabbit or turkey. 18" in plenty long enough.

The big ole' BSA scope mount and the Bushnell 4 reticle red dot is going to be retired to something more appropriate for it. Now the 500 is going to get a simple receiver rail and a small Bushnell TRS25.

After some back and forth, I'm going to keep the Ergo tri-rail handguard on it, but it will have a Magpul Gen 1 AFG on the bottom and a magpul xtr rail cover on both sides. Right now they're all black, but I think I'll go with fde covers and will paint the afg because I think I will be refinishing the old girl and give her an appropriate water camo dip. After all, it started out being that ugly woodland camo that looked like someone spray painted it back when companies were first starting to camo their guns almost 20 years ago.

The ATI ar style stock and magpul ctr will be coming off when I get the extra money to get a traditional stock for it. The Mossberg controls just suck with AR style stock components. It just messes everything up, so it's going back to a stock-stock. I have liked this configuration because a lot of young hunters could adjust the LOP to fit them better, but I have always like the factory stock better for this particular gun.

Anyway, this project has been a long time coming. It's sat under the bed for the last couple of years while I was deciding whether I wanted to fool with it or not. Now is its' time.

untacticalizing 002.JPG

untacticalizing 003.JPG

Ain't that the truth. I just don't need as much stuff hanging off my guns these days. I do like a light on a HD gun, that's about it.

At one time, I was doing a lot different style of just about everything. I used to run and gun a lot. Spent more on ammo, shot more.

Never was what I would call a high speed low drag kinda guy, but now, I don't run so much at all and I would call it more of a quick limpy waddle.

Last few years, I've really came to appreciate the KISS approach. (KISS= Keep it simple stupid)

I had only added sidesaddle shell holders to mine, and took those off when I started getting too many long guns in my safe and the shell holders were rubbing other guns... I may put one back on my 12 gauge that I use for trap, but I always have a pack with shells so it's not necessary

I have some side saddles on a couple of my guns. I never had one on the mossy because it always had the BSquare scope mount on it, which occupied the attachment screws that would hold the saddle in place on the receiver.

A few years ago, sportsman guide had some slip on recoil pad and shell holder that slide on the back of the stock. They were on clearance and maybe $5 each. I bought the last 3 they had because I had a free shipping code before they were discontinued. I wish I had bought more.

The neoprene padding helps with recoil and slides up into your arm better than limbsavers.

Limbsavers biggest fault, even though I like the way they feel when you're shooting, is they tend to snag and grab and pull at your clothes when you're trying to put it on your shoulder just because of the soft rubbery texture.

The slip on covers I mentioned don't do that. And gives you 5 shells at your fingertips. It's old school I guess, but it works. If I put anything on this gun, that's probably what it would be.

196665_ts.jpg

The number 1 reason I like the shell holders, the shells are always with the gun. Right where they should be. If you can find your gun, the shells are going to be right there with it.

You don't have to go looking through your sock drawer for them only to remember that you put that box of shells in the closet and then when you reach in there to get them, you see they're not on the shelf where you thought they were and then you have to get down on your hands and knees in the dark moving old boots around and feeling around on the floor of the closet for loose shells.

Yep. I like shell holders.

I have some side saddles on a couple of my guns. I never had one on the mossy because it always had the BSquare scope mount on it, which occupied the attachment screws that would hold the saddle in place on the receiver.

A few years ago, sportsman guide had some slip on recoil pad and shell holder that slide on the back of the stock. They were on clearance and maybe $5 each. I bought the last 3 they had because I had a free shipping code before they were discontinued. I wish I had bought more.

The neoprene padding helps with recoil and slides up into your arm better than limbsavers.

Limbsavers biggest fault, even though I like the way they feel when you're shooting, is they tend to snag and grab and pull at your clothes when you're trying to put it on your shoulder just because of the soft rubbery texture.

The slip on covers I mentioned don't do that. And gives you 5 shells at your fingertips. It's old school I guess, but it works. If I put anything on this gun, that's probably what it would be.

196665_ts.jpg

I like this style of buttstock shell holder, but I like the lace on leather ones better... I just can't afford them lol. I like the mil spec style cloth ones too with velcro, then you can have a pouch or shell holder, and can add a cheek riser on a rifle. I may get those for my Mosins and my 30/30 lever just because they look cool, and take up a teeny bit of recoil

The number 1 reason I like the shell holders, the shells are always with the gun. Right where they should be. If you can find your gun, the shells are going to be right there with it.

You don't have to go looking through your sock drawer for them only to remember that you put that box of shells in the closet and then when you reach in there to get them, you see they're not on the shelf where you thought they were and then you have to get down on your hands and knees in the dark moving old boots around and feeling around on the floor of the closet for loose shells.

Yep. I like shell holders.
I have a lockable cabinet on top of my safe, and one next to my safe where all my cleaning stuff, shells, and parts are stored. Theyre all bolted together, and probably weigh like 600 lbs all together.

I agree too. I have a couple set up like that and the classic style just has a lot of appeal to me.

This one is going more back towards a factory config. though. Not exactly, but at least in that general direction lol

Since I de-tac'd my Mossberg Cruiser, I haven't thought about what style of shell holder it should have.

I have the elastic buttstock style on my 30-30 and I sort of like that.

If you keep ammunition in a sock drawer here you could find yourself guilty of a felony. It definitely makes sense to have a shell holder or a bandolier or something.

The NC Star receiver rail/screws came in this mornings mail. Worked exactly as it should've.

While I prefer a front bead, the barrel is too thin to accommodate the bead where it was originally located due to the thread in chokes now, so a red dot will have to do.

I could put a new bead on the barrel easily enough, but it would be placed about 15 inches up the barrel. I don't think that would lend well where accuracy is concerned. Especially on longer shots where it mattered the most.

I can pretty much zero the red dot for the center of the pattern and would probably work out better than a bead in the end so I'm not going to complain, but will take some getting used to.

rail 002.JPG

Like Johnny Cash's car, I'll finish it eventually. One piece at a time ;)

Next step, getting a factory stock in a few weeks. And ultimately, some time after that will be refinishing and likely a camo dip.

The old Stephens I bought does not have a bead. Somebody blob the dab of silver solder on there and then shaped it the way they wanted it with a file.

I'll post a picture later but it's pretty crude.

Ordered a replacement factory stock yesterday. And I'll probably need to get another meter of film but this should give an idea of where it's going.

JCUF76c.jpg

om4Ep6k.jpg

196665_ts.jpg

You could cut up the limbsaver to fit inside the sleeve...

Back