• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Decision help

Doug01

Copper BB
Hi. I found this site recently while doing some research. I'm trying real hard to talk myself into a new shot gun. I have a Saiga 12 that i converted. I like it a lot but i never liked that the bolt didnt stay open after the last round and the mags are tricky to load on a closed bolt. I also liked that on a tube gun you can load as you go. The 930 was my original pick. Then considered the Stoeger 3000 and possibly the Tristar Raptor. I'm after a one gun for everything. I'd like a pistol grip but its not a deal breaker. I would not a p grip on a mossberg due to the safety. The Tristar having the capability of choke tubes could be the answer but I'm leaning 930.

Now for the questions. On the 930 JM series, what is different? I know the come with the tube extension and over travel stop and larger charging handle. Is there anything else internal or otherwise that would make it different from the standard 930? And same for the stx. What makes them different? I saw the turkey model at the gunshow and LOVE that barrel. Ported with the fiber optic front and rear. It be a great hunting barrel. I also considered the field security combo.
I'm wanting the shorter barrel with mag extensions. Oversize charging handle. And a hunting barrel. I'm trying find the best use of my $$. If JM series is better i can accessorize from there. If not, the combo would work with a mag extension and a red dot. Thanks for any info and I apologize for being so long winded.
Thanks!

can you describe a gun for everything. What exactly do you plan on using it for specifically?

HD, hunting, and fun. I know with this platform I'd need two barrels. Hunting would be turkeys, rabbit and squirrel. Fun would be targets of various items and home "mini course".

Thanks

Then get the combo set. The JM set is geared more for competitions. You can always buy a +2 mag extension.

Some of the internals are chromed on the JM. It is a fun gun to shoot but there are others that may be better suited for HD (shorter barrel and stock availability). Let us know what you end up deciding.

Thanks. I thought the JM had some fluff and buff done to them. What about the stx...what makes them different?

Spx has the ghost rings. But the barrel doesn't have a choke system. I bought the spx and ended up getting the turkey barrel for hunting and general clay busting. If I had to do it over I would have went combo.

But that's just me.

Back