• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Season 2013

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Time is ticking down..... MI's season starts Sept 21st for early doe and Oct 1 for general archery (including crossbow)!!

Lets see you pics and hear your stories!!

I'm not going to make it out for the early season but plan on being out there the first weekend of the regular season. I've decided to hunt with the crossbow again this year and it is hungry for some venison.

Ours starts the 28th but I'm behind the power curve from work and our trip. Gotta get out this weekend and check my stand/set a blind...

wow gunny the seasons are confusing by you I like how mi has theirs here

going out with a youngster this weekend for the junior hunt the 21 and 22

then I plan on hunting as much as possible with the bow during the archery season

tazzy695 said:
wow gunny the seasons are confusing by you I like how mi has theirs here

going out with a youngster this weekend for the junior hunt the 21 and 22

then I plan on hunting as much as possible with the bow during the archery season

It gets a lot simpler if you hunt your own land and are over 65.

Indiana's youth deer weekend is this weekend, the 28th and 29th. The boy and I will be in a groundblind watching a corn field with his shotgun.
Early Archery opens Oct.1. I have to work the first weekend, but the second is a four day weekend for me, so I will hunt at least Sunday and Monday.
Good luck to everyone this season.

Ours started back August 1st... 1 Buck within our roadsystem map... 4 total deer including off the road system (lol.. I'm wonder if there's other places in the U.S that are "off-roadsystem"). Haven't had the chance to really take a few days and go out and glass the area... although I've had a rifle with me on every hike we've done so far :).

Hopefully come late October I can take a long weekend, and take some 4 wheelers out past town, I want my first Sitka Blacktail!

Sounds confusing, lets look at it down here, all Deer, Pigs, Goats, Tahr, Chamois, Wallabies etc all start Jan 1 at 00:00:01Hrs and run till Dec 31 24:00:00Hrs, ops that means that there is no real opening weekend to look forward to, bugger, still just have to make the most of the hand you are dealt and go out anyway, although looking at the forecast this might be a weekend to earn the brownie points for a longer trip in a couple of weeks, still plenty of meat in freezer anyway so no rush. Now where did I put that sack of rubbing salt?

Not so bad we do have the White Bait opening about to happen, Small fish that makes the yummiest fritters, and there is always the Duck and upland bird season so we do have to exercise some restraint.

Here in Jersey we started sept 14 with take a doe first and an earn a buck system.
Sitting up in my stand on the 14th two small doe come in and say to myself I have taken a small doe the last 3 years and havent seen a buck till the regular bow, these two get a pass. They walk off and come back 3 times, that's it 4th time its getting a tag, never to show again! 1 hour later a spike, a 4, a 5 and an 8 show up together and start fighting and the 8 gets to within 15 feet of my tree. To make a long disappointing story longer I saw all of them together 2 more days and not one doe again!!
NO MORE FREE PASSES during earn a buck!!!!!

I took yesterday off to hunt and saw nothing!! We started in the 50's, hit the 80s by early afternoon and was back down in the 60's by nightfall. I think the higher temps and fairly strong winds in the evening kept them from moving.

Went hunting today and opening day on tuse saw nothing but squirrels

Tonight i did spook something when u put my bow down on the ground from my tree stand think it was a deer but couldn't say for sure as all i heard was something large crashing through the brush grrrrrrrr

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Saw a nice little buck from my pop-up blind on Saturday. Don't know how he got there but he just appeared in front me me about 10 yards out. He was staring at the open window. Don't know of he caught some movement or what but he left before I could get a shot. I don't think I scared him as he just trotted away, he didn't run like he had winded me or something. I also saw two does and a turkey. None of them came within bow range.

grrrrrr went out this am and almost to my tree that I am hunting out of and I saw a set of eyes staring at me watched it walk around me at about 50 yrds could have put an arrow between the eyes if I could have seen my sights needless to say it watched me climb my tree and never showed me any sign of it again

First day out. Got to the stand around 7:15 (a little later than I wanted to). Had a beautiful 8 pt sneak up on me from my left (very brushy...how the hell do they do that?). Since I was sitting and he saw me move to grab my bow I couldn't get a shot off. Too low sitting (twigs in the way). He walked behind a tree clump but didn't reappear.

That was about the time I saw the big flipping crack in one of my upper limbs...horizontal from the tip to about 1/2" past the axle. Dammit, the bow was shooting good until last weekend...started having flyers once in a while. I didn't see the crack (nor did any of the other guys). Ended up quitting early to get to the bow shop (did get to sight in my Rem 700 before leaving the club, though).

So, the day was lost, right? Not exactly. The Bear Archery rep happened to be at the shop this morning and he looked at my 4 1/2 yr old bow. Then he surprised the hell out of me. He ordered a complete set of limbs under warranty!!! I figured I'd be out a couple hundred for the repairs. It will cost me labor but Dustin's is the best shop around and the only one who I will let work on my bow. Hats off to Bear Archery!!!

Regular gun season here doesn't open till Dec 16, so I'll have to wait. If I had some smaller balls I might try the blackpowder season with my antique Penn Long rifle, which opens Nov 11. I told my wife that, and she about fell out of her chair. ;) :lol:

Anyway, I think I'll go with pistol in Dec. Need to get in some practice between now and then. Finding deer isn't a problem, see them nearly every day in the yard, so just a matter of picking one out.

Ouch that realy stinks about the cracked limbs glad they are fixing it

Gunny i have been out with pistol for dear got top let them get bout add close as needed for a bow but they can take them down

I was using my 9mm last year for firearm due to the fact that i didn't have a shotty yet and live in a no rifle zone

tazzy695 said:
Gunny i have been out with pistol for dear got top let them get bout add close as needed for a bow but they can take them down

I was using my 9mm last year for firearm due to the fact that i didn't have a shotty yet and live in a no rifle zone

I'll be using my Blackhawk (.41 mag), with the Underwood 210gr jhp. If I do my part, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

tazzy695 said:
Ouch that realy stinks about the cracked limbs glad they are fixing it

Where can you use a 9mm for deer? Here in OH it is a minimum of .357. I know 9mm can kill them just as a .22 can but a 9mm is kinda small. Just curious...

Handgun: with 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.

Back