• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Season 2013

^^ MS is one place where there are no restrictions on caliber or gun used. MDWFP figure a hunter is going to have the common sense to use a gun/ammo combination that is suitable for the game.

I live in Michigan and the min size is a bullet of .30 cal or bigger and a 9mm measured out to .381 so it would even be legal where you are

My ammo of choice was winchester ranger +p+ 115 jhp which is the same ammo i use for HD hard hitting and feels good shot from the gun while having decrnt accuracy

As for gun restrictions Michigan dosent have any

tazzy695 said:
I live in Michigan and the min size is a bullet of .30 cal or bigger and a 9mm measured out to .381 so it would even be legal where you are

My ammo of choice was winchester ranger +p+ 115 jhp which is the same ammo i use for HD hard hitting and feels good shot from the gun while having decrnt accuracy

As for gun restrictions Michigan dosent have any
I assume you are aware of the magazine capacity restrictions?

A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

yea true forgot they do limit you to 9 rounds per mag including the one in the chamber

and I guess I was off on the min size if that is a quote from the rule book

Took a small button buck today so that burns a anterless tag for archery but i am sure it will taste good

IMG_0960.jpg

Congrats!!

Looks like you have about as much space as I do in the garage. I really need to clean things up.

What kind of bow is that? It reminds me a lot of an old Darton I used to have.

It is a high county icon probly about ten years old

If you only have that much room in your garage it us a tiny garage as it is only an 8' x 8' shed lol

tazzy695 said:
It is a high county icon probly about ten years old

If you only have that much room in your garage it us a tiny garage as it is only an 8' x 8' shed lol

It's a two car garage, I just have a lot of junk stored in there right now.

Drew a blank today. Very windy and the tree was rockin' after last night's storms. Nothing but tree rats running around...

Best and worst weekend hunting for me.

Got a shot at the biggest deer I've had the opportunity to shoot. He was standing 30 years broadside. Got the crossbow up, got him in the scope and let it go. I was looking through the scope and the little bit of scope jump prevented me from seeing exactly where I hit bit I could see the glow of the Luminock as he left the scene. He didn't jump, or run, just quickly walked away. I waited about 5 minutes to make sure I couldn't hear him any more before climbing down and walking over to my buddies stand 40 yards across the way. (yeah it close but thick and we face different directions)

After about another 25 minutes we headed over to look for blood. We found quite a bit. About 25 yards in we found the arrow hanging from a tree, totally intact but only showing about 4-5" of penetration. Also noticed that the broadhead was still closed. From as much as I can tell from inspecting it and looking for blood under the blades, it never opened on impact. :x :x :x :x :x

Another 10 yards and still quite a bit of blood. The next spot was a bit harder to find, only a little. it took over an hour to find the next single drop. Four hours later following every conceivable route, walking a grid, etc. and not a drop. As a last resort we even jumped ahead to known runways in and out of the area to check for any blood on any of those. We found nothing on the long grass or on the ground.

In almost 30 years of hunting this is the first one I've lost. All I can guess is that I hit a bone and/or it did not penetrate because the blades did not open up. I hope it was just a flesh wound and he'll survive, I would much rather of flat our missed. It sickens me to know I hit one find it. I was using a NAP Spitfire, which my buddy has used to take several deer without issue.

Needless to say I won't be using the Spitfires any more. I'm going back to the Rages until I can find a fixed blade that will fly true from my bow than I'll ditch the mechanical for good.

I like the muzzy brand of broad head using there mx4 a 4 blade one now

I have heard many times over about splitfires and other mechanicals failing to open
sorry for the loss of the dear maby go back in a day or so and search some more

Got a shot at the biggest deer I've had the opportunity to shoot. He was standing 30 years broadside.

No mechanical broadhead will open if it has to travel 30 years to a target...not enough momentum... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Mike, couldn't help myself... ;) Sucks to lose a deer. Lost my first while rifle hunting after getting the buck fever and looking over the scope as I jerked the trigger. Same tracking scenario, blood and fur, less and less till it ran out...and no deer. Still haunts me...

2013 Bruiser Buck

Got this guy running with 4 does on Wednesday morning last week. Vehicle restricted area but luckily i had stashed my game cart up there ahead of time and it made it a breeze hauling it out. Last year i used a sled on my other big guy if you remember and that was a bit of a gong show. He weighed 220 pounds before skinning and 184 pounds after with an outside spread of 25 inches.
DSC06703_zps69e670b5.jpg

DSC06702_zpsf3717dd7.jpg

DSC06705_zpsa64b6d02.jpg

DSC06708_zpsfd186c5d.jpg

Re: 2013 Bruiser Buck

OMG that thing is a beast!!!! You have some monsters up there.

Congrats Gary!!!

(FYI, might want to direct that muzzle just a tad more to the side ;) )

Gary Murray said:
Thanx Mike. It's the angle of the pic. Muzzle is way off to the side in that shot.

I figured but it caught my eye. The camera does not often depict things as accurately as we like to think. ;)

Did you get those boots you were looking at last year?

Wow Beautiful buck. Congratulations He sure is a great one. Thanks for posting those great photographs.

Back