• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Season 2013

Re: 2013 Bruiser Buck

MikeD said:
Gary Murray said:
Thanx Mike. It's the angle of the pic. Muzzle is way off to the side in that shot.

I figured but it caught my eye. The camera does not often depict things as accurately as we like to think. ;)

Did you get those boots you were looking at last year?
Thanx guys.
Yes Mike. I bought a pair of Baffin Polar boots for $260.00. They seem to be working so far. Here's a different angle of the deer with the muzzle of my gun.
DSC06704_zps64bb02da.jpg

Gary Murray said:
Yes Mike. I bought a pair of Baffin Polar boots for $260.00. They seem to be working so far.

I looked at them as well, but I thought I would let you test them a winter and see what you're feedback was. ;-D

Well i will let you know once i get through December as our late bow season runs till December 20th.

Fantastic looking mulie.

And the area in your last picture looks like a great place to find them wandering through.

Envious... our Sitka black tails aren't much bigger than golden retrievers up here :D

aksavanaman said:
Envious... our Sitka black tails aren't much bigger than golden retrievers up here :D
Hahahaha. We have to head over towards the west coast to get into the blacktail action. They too are the size of a dog over there.

Spent some time this weekend dialing in some new fixed blade broadheads. I ended up going with the Slick Trick 125gr.

Weird they fly about 7" low from my Barnett and the same amont high from my Excalibur. I didn't want to adjust my sights but I did. Aside from the different point of impact they group like field points.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Due to my job requirements over the last few years, I have not gotten to hunt as much as I would like and as a result I have not taken a deer since 2009. I was able to put together a 4 day trip to our property in Southern Indiana this past weekend and am happy to report I took a nice mature doe on the first evening out. The freezer is now stocked with deer meat. :)
I also found out that a 12 gauge, 1 ounce Federal Tru-Ball rifled slug is severe overkill at 15 yards. Because it was raining and getting dark, I shot the deer through the shoulders to anchor her in place and the impact blew her completly off her feet. That particular stand my Dad had set up and the max shot distance is 26 yards. Needless to say, I will use the my bow or a .44 there next time.
The amount of damage that the Tru-Ball did amazed me. There was a small entrance hole on the right side exterior of the shoulder, a fist sized hole on the interior of the right shoulder with an exit wound on the left shoulder. The lungs and heart were turned to jelly from the impact and the trachea was cut in two. GO FEDERAL!

It was a good night. Picked him off with my muzzleloader. Traditions Buckstalker shooting 300gr SST's over 100gr of Triple7 Thirty yard shot and he went only about 70 yards

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387077018343.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387077018343.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 191
You did fantastic MikeD.

It'll taste mighty good cut up into roast cuts and put in a pressure cooker for about an hour, then change the water and add some peeled potatos, carrots, some corn that has been cut off of the cob, and some diced onion and after about another hour in the pressure cooker will be ready to eat.

Mmmmm. It's hard to sit still and eat deer roast.

Congratulations Mike for your trophy taken with blackpowder ¡¡¡¡ I think that the value of a trophy taken with blackpowder is always better....
I also have that Hornady SST in 300 and 250 for my Traditions Yukon.I like it.Did you get total penetration??

selous said:
Did you get total penetration??

Most definitely. Almost too much so. I may start testing some other rounds as this is the second deer I've hit with a total pass through and it does not appear to have expanded at all. Plus the Sabot fits so tight it is impossible to load a second round without cleaning the barrel.

Another pic:

MikeDeer_20131214_001_zps2fc248f5.jpg

Been a busy morning. First time I've tried to process my own.

MikeDeer_20131214_003_zps6f2fd16e.jpg

Way to go Mike.

I think it is only fitting to clean your own. I have never taken a deer to a butcher.

You get bonus man points for processing your own venison.

deerhunting012.jpg

John A. said:
You get bonus man points for processing your own venison.

I'll take them. :lol: :lol: it was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I hope it gets easier as I do more.

Back