• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

DESTROYED ANOTHER 1100

LTB45

.30-06
Rest in Peace
Supporter
This thread is PART 2 of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8589

I shot the PA State Trap Shoot last weekend with my "Sorta New" 1100.
I shot Handicap (100 rounds) on Friday. The gun worked fine.
Saturday was the Championship day at 16yds (200 rounds) 100 in the morning and then another 100 in the afternoon.
For those that dont know, you shoot 25 rounds a field, 5 stations, 5 shots from each station then move to the next field.
I shot the first field and moved to the next. Shot the first station then moved to station 2. Shot 2 birds and when I went to ready for my 3rd bird, the action would not close!!!!

I stepped off the field to try and figure it out quickly....It was totally locked up!!!!

Luckily for this shoot I brought a spare, I do not have a spare Trap gun so I brought the 12 ga that I shoot best for every other clay game and hunting......BUBBA!!!

Bubba was called into action to get me through the rest of the first 100 birds. The time between the 2 100 rounds would be plenty for me to fix the 1100.

When I went to fix the 1100, I could not get the barrel off. It is suppose to just slide out with the forearm removed.
Finally I was able to KNOCK the barrel loose.
A piece of the slide action bar broke off and was wedged between the barrel and the mag tube.
This piece formed a wedge that actually bent the barrel and the mag tube!!!
It bent it enough that my trusty barrel and the receiver/mag tube are no longer usable.

I shot the 2nd 100 with Bubba an he did real good. I did not win anything but my average stayed the same which is good.

I told the wife that I am done with competing using an 1100. TOOO MANY moving parts that may fail.
She told me when we got home to find the gun that you want. :D

When it comes to shotguns, I have always been a "Low Priced" and functional is best "kind of guy".
Thus my LOVE for the 500's. But a 500 will never be a Trap gun. Even if I found one of those High Rib, High Comb jobs.

I wanted a Browning BT-99!!! The most economical, true Trap gun out there.

With the CT state shoot this weekend, I searched every Gun shop that I know, that may carry a used BT. Being that Trap season is in full swing, I found one that was priced at $2200 :shock: WAY TO MUCH MONEY!
I even hit up a friends shop and asked him to order me one with overnight shipping. NONE of his distributors had anything in stock nor did "Buds Gunshop" online.

So I ask another friend that is a big Trap shooter what shop may have one. He tells me that there is a shop that he saw a NIB BT about a month ago.

I head there and sure enough there it is!!! NIB $1229.
Shot it Tuesday night hit 94/100 with a gun I have never shot

Pics or it didn't happen!!

Bummer, you never even got to use the 2nd one much.

Hopefully the browning will hold up for many years.

Well, it sounds like your 1100's have done you well...but sometimes new is good. While I wouldn't call $1200 a bargain shotgun (what do I know about trab guns anyways :lol: ) I guess compared to $10K overunders... it's cheap ;)

Sounds like it's time for a change anyway.

,,,dam LTB45,,,,you can wear out a 1100. two in a couple of months.(kidding) i know you really got good time and enjoyment out of them.
good luck with the browning. don't forget pics. :D

What an amazing (and disappointing) story of the 1100.

I'm proud of you that you kept your head and didn't let distraction wipe out your mindset.

Back