• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Difference between standard SPX & Blackwater SPX?

Vector

Copper BB
I have been looking to add a lightly used SPX to my collection and recently came across a Blackwater SPX for around the same price point I've seen other SPX's at. Other than the bear claw emblem and maybe sight differences, I cannot tell what if any differences there are.

I suspect the experts here will be able to fill me in.

Btw... that's no deal there... usually black water models are already cheaper then their spx pistol grip counter parts. So one that's the same price is actually over priced.

The lpa fiber optic sights on the spx are more expensive than the black water one's, basically besides the decal that's the only difference

Vector said:
I have been looking to add a lightly used SPX to my collection and recently came across a Blackwater SPX for around the same price point I've seen other SPX's at. Other than the bear claw emblem and maybe sight differences, I cannot tell what if any differences there are.

As far as I know those are the only real differences.The SPX uses the LPA GRS and the Blackwater uses the XS sights that are a bit lower in profile and do not have as much adjustment options. I believe the front sight tower is also lower on the Blackwater version.

I think either could be ordered with the std or pistol grip stock..

Attachments

• mossberg_2011_buyers_guide_and_catalogpdf_page_86_of_110-tfb.jpg
    mossberg_2011_buyers_guide_and_catalogpdf_page_86_of_110-tfb.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 902
MikeD said:
Vector said:

As far as I know those are the only real differences.The SPX uses the LPA GRS and the Blackwater uses the XS sights that are a bit lower in profile and do not have as much adjustment options. I believe the front sight tower is also lower on the Blackwater version.

The 930 Blackwater spx only comes in choate pistol grip. Those others are pumps, 500 or 590's I'm unsure.

Poopypants said:
MikeD said:
Vector said:

The 930 Blackwater spx only comes in choate pistol grip. Those others are pumps, 500 or 590's I'm unsure.

You are correct. I just checked the web site, per their listing the 930 blackwater is only shown with the pistolgrip stock. The 930 SPX (non blackwater) can be configured with either.

They are both the same base gun any stock for a 930 will fit either model, so they can be swapped one way or another if the owner desires.

The other guns in the pic are a 590A1 and a 500 Cruiser respecively.

Why does Mossberg put out shotguns with "Ghost Ring Sights" that don't have protective ears on either side of the rear aperture?

nitesite said:
Why does Mossberg put out shotguns with "Ghost Ring Sights" that don't have protective ears on either side of the rear aperture?

That is a good question.

The concept probably came from the same marketing think tank that envisioned a tactical lever gun. ;)

I like the idea of a lower profile sight as I could never get used to the higher profile LPA sight on the std SPX but XS sights always looked a bit vulnerable to me.

I love the sights on my spx... never did like having to lay my face so low and close to a shotgun to get bead sights, even though i shot great with them.

I see no reason for removing the protective wings either, personally i don't feel they obstruct my view at all (shot 10/10 randomly hand/device thrown birds with my 18.5 spx barrel after not shooting clays for about 7 years) and love the bright fiber optic sights and large aperture... the xs sights not being removable is another problem I have with that style of sights.

nitesite said:

Are you talking about other models than a 930SPX or 590A1? Because both of mine have protective ears. I even moved the rear sight all the way up to see if it was still protected.

****Oops I just saw the Blackwater picture of the rear sight. Yeah that is jacked up to see a rear sight with no protection, even worse since its "supposto" represent a security contractor like Blackwater.****

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

^ Look at the photo of the Blackwater edition a few posts back. No protective ears on the XS rear GRS...

Back