• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Different Rear Sight (+ Picatinny Rail) for Ghost Ring 590A1?

OMCHamlin

.22LR
I am thinking about adding a red dot to my 590A1, which is the 18.5" model with factory Ghost Ring Sights, front and rear.
My question; does anyone make a combination ghost ring rear sight with some picatinny rail forward of the rear sight that would still be compatible with the factory front sight height?

OMCHamilton,
Take a look at XS sights Systems. They have what I think you’re looking for. Good luck and good shooting!

So my front sight on my 590A1 is about .800 +/- tall, from top of sight post (which is Mepro Tritium blade fitted in Mossberg dovetail), to the barrel top and based on that, I need to call some rear sight /rail combo manufacturers and just plain ask them, because there is a great reluctance to actually PUBLISH info like "our rear sight requires a front sight height of:..."

Those are (in no order)
-XS Standard Dot/rail combo
-Spitfire Armory MX
-Williams Gun Sight (Ace in the Hole, Tactical)
-Fusion Firearms for they are importers of the nice LPA rear sight, which looks to have several versions, one that fits on a Picatinny Rail, or one that screws on. I would need the rail version since having some rail forward of the rear sight was the goal all along.
And AIMPRO makes a nice one (made?) Not sure if they are still in business?

Anyhow, I'll research and report back.

Last edited:
Okay, Jmm, I'm going to just go ahead and try that XS rail/ghost ring rear combo seeing as how I was lucky enough to find just a complete rear sight and rail only (no front sight from XS) for sale on eBay at a decent price. It seems very well made, rugged and looks to be within the same height range as the factory ghost ring. We'll soon see!

Your best option is a aridus crom designed to fit the rmr and holosun 407/507 as its the same footprint as the rmr but half the cost.... about $110

Or you get a vang comp rear ghost ring sight that gas a integral pic rail .... cost $245 plus $50-$75 to drill and tap 3 holes the receiver to fit it as factory holes don't line up

I have both setups ans both work fine with factory grs any other brand is subpar quality

Okay, Jmm, I'm going to just go ahead and try that XS rail/ghost ring rear combo seeing as how I was lucky enough to find just a complete rear sight and rail only (no front sight from XS) for sale on eBay at a decent price. It seems very well made, rugged and looks to be within the same height range as the factory ghost ring. We'll soon see!
Good luck. They are well made and should allow you to install the RDS. Send pics when done.

Here you go!
vWj8Cw9.jpg

Here you go!
vWj8Cw9.jpg
What brand foregrip is that ?
So the gun looks very nice BUT you now have a not overly functional double sight setup where ONLY 1 can be run at a time. The red dot block the GRS. You need to get a aridus crom to eliminate this issue. This will allow for a cowitness. You have to remove the red dot to use the grs otherwise its one or the other. You want functionality. Where if they both lineup and the red dot fails the GRS is still functional. If you keep this setup sighting the grs first for 50 yrds. Then invest in a QD red dot attachment to a pic rail so you can mark on the rail the same spot everhtime. Install the red dot. Sight it for 50yrds that way if something happens you can pop it off and your still good for distance. Change a battery or whatever, throw red dot back on, and you'll be dead nuts. Attached are some photos of the aridus crom with a trijicon rmr a friend sent me. Thats just my opinion which is subjective, I just don't see the logic in building a expensive gun for competition or even a HD situation and then the red dot fails to work and now your left running around asking the intruders to pls wait so you can find a allen key to take off the red dot so you can use your meprolight front tritium sight with your rear xs sights GRS....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210411-120015_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-120015_Gallery.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210411-120004_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-120004_Gallery.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
DARN IT, Bang Bang 22, where were you back in November!?!? That Aridus Crom is perfect looking, but I totally missed the boat on it while I was searching for a solution. Truth told, I am aware that the end result was less than optimal and the gun overall weighs too much for what I had intended anyway, what with the folding stock mechanism and all. I had actually bought the Ace folding adapter with intent to install on a Shockwave with an arm brace, but in between I learned of the legal issues associated with that on an "other firearm" and so stopped that project.
The forearm is a Treeline brand, sold (and bought on clearance at $27!) at Tractor Supply. It is really nice, but it could not be adapted (without significant effort) to the Shockwave either. I bought 2 for a Mossberg and 5 more for 870s, thinking I might pass the deal on to a friend or two, or flip a couple on FleaBay. Should any of you happen to wander through a Tractor Supply, you might check either their clearance aisle, or the spot where they have the few gun related products that they carry, you might still find one.

So in short, yes, I am aware that this 590A1 falls short of ideal, but rather then re-spend all of that $$$ on resolving it, I may simply repurpose the Vortex red dot and the folding stock. Or who knows, maybe they will come out with a red dot of such low profile that it might work in applications like this? A possible interim solution would be if a mount could be had that incorporated a reliable QD lever to simply remove any malfunctioning red dot without tools, and reverting to the ghost ring sights.

Oh well, we learn as we go sometimes...

Back