• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Discussion Of Your Mossberg 3 Gun Setup...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
This is a thread dedicated to discussing your Mossberg 3 gun setups... :twisted:

Really lookin forward to seein what folks are runnin so I can live vicariously through the experiences and adventures of others! ;)

Need more posts!

Most Mossberg 3-gunners I have seen are using a 930 Turkey, cut down past the ports and re-threaded for choke, or a non-ported 24" barrel direct from Mossberg. Nordic extension tube, fiber sights, and sometimes some work on the mag well.

Would love to see some more examples!

33nz255.jpg

I've been puttin more thought into this recently as I get closer to joinin this gun club here.

There are no barrel restrictions at the club. I'm wanting to do a 930 with a 22" or 24" at most VR barrel threaded for chokes. Def the Nordic extension and clamp. Will be looking into a fiber optic 3 dot, but may consider a reflex sight.

The other 2 guns will be a 1911 and likely a .223 (5.56) autoloader, maybe a Mini 14 unless I can find a good deal on a used AR.

Lessons learned...

Minimum Gear:

Reliable semi-auto pistol in a large caliber... 9mm or better. ( Mine's a .45 )

At least a dozen reliable standard capacity magazines for your pistol choice. ( I wear eight )

Reliable, high capacity pump or semi-auto shotgun in 12 gauge with at least 20" barrel...Improved Cylinder or Modified...( may be threaded for screw-in chokes ), and a tactical sling. ( my preference: Mossberg 590a1 SPX 9 shot with ghost rings )

Extended magazine tube for shotgun and appropriate shotshell carriers... ( can be on gun or body )

Smaller shot sizes in medium loadings ( 6 or 7.5 shot in 3 to 3.25 Dram loadings ) will allow you to shoot faster ( lower recoil ) and with the right choke choice they will work a lot better on steel than the expensive heavy stuff does. Smaller shot sizes also break flying and stationary clay targets more reliably than larger shot sizes do ( more shot = denser pattern = more chance of a pellet strike ).

Reliable semi-auto rifle in 5.56x45mm NATO, 7.62x51mm NATO, or 7.62x39mm M43 caliber. ( I prefer my AR )

A least a dozen or more reliable 30 round magazines for your rifle choice and a good sling. ( I like single point )

A holster and sturdy belt that securely holds firearm, mags, mag pouches and will retain it during vigorous movement. ( I use a double leg drop with mag pouches and wear tac vest with mag pouches...ya can never have enuff !! )

Cases of reliable factory or 'roll yer own' ammo that you have tested in the weapons to be used in competition. ( know it's POA/POI )

Real good tactical boots, knee & elbow pads, BDU's / tactical clothing, head cover, a MOLLE rucksack, a hydration system, foul weather gear options (GoreTex)...etc. ( Most of my gear is milspec surplus...my rucksack has a intregal hydration bladder with bite tube )

Be in good physical shape...know how to shoot from behind cover, running, kneeling, prone...study the rules of engagement...watch and go to matches, talk to people who compete ( usually very glad to be of help ) and by all means...have fun !!

Rossignol said:
The other 2 guns will be a 1911 and likely a .223 (5.56) autoloader, maybe a Mini 14 unless I can find a good deal on a used AR.

The Mini 14 has improved in recent years but I'm finding well reviewed, nicely set up .223 (5.56) autoloader AR type units from Bushmaster, Double Star and S & W that are in the $600 - just under 700 range.

I've got the 930 and have to think about the port issue (cut and thread, buy another barrel OR find a small club with looser rules).

Pistol is a toss up. I have more experience with the Glock 22 and it scores higher being a 40 S&W. I like my Sig 250C 9mm a lot - lower points for 9mm and a shorter barrel (4.5 vs 3.9") have me leaning to the G22.

I've actually just within the last two days been looking at Olympic Arms. I hed been decided on a Mini until being introduced to the Pacific North West company!

I'm lookin at a model with a flat top receiver and picatinny gas black for about $650. Its a 16", 1:9 twist barrel.

OlyArms Plinker Plus Flat Top, "PP FT"
Plinker_Plus_Fla_4e53c9e2dd19f.jpg

Just add sights! For now, I just wanna put irons on it (you know, like when I get it) !!! I want to put an A2 front post on the gas block, and flip up rear. Leapers makes a pretty cool set that would be exactly what I want!

Hmmm - looks like holiday shopping has taken its toll - my quick search:

Mark's Armory

DPMS 5.56 Oracle OR Sportical
Our Price: $619.99 (currently out of stock)
Oracle at Buds in stock but currently only in the VIP program

Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport
Our Price: $634.99 (currently out of stock)
Able Ammo $658.65 (currently out of stock)

Bud's - Olympic Arms Plinker Plus Flat-Top
Last price was $620.00 (currently out of stock)
Able Ammo IN STOCK $644.97

This thread had layed dormant for a while so let's see what else comes up. I just got into 3 Gun at our local club (I'm a crossover from archery...I run the Indoor and Field programs). This is what I'm currently using:

Pistol: Beretta 92SB Compact. 9mm. Only running 4 13-rounds mags at this time as mags for this gun are few and far between.

Rifle: newly aquired Daniel Defense M4, 5.56. Running 5 mags of either 20 or 30 rounds. Magpul fold-down sights and a Vortex Sparc red dot.

Shotgun: started with my older Mossberg 500. Nothing fancy, just a straight up pump with a smooth bore slug barrel. Was kicking my butt as far as recoil on an old, injured shoulder. So my NEW setup is a JM 930. No options YET but I'm looking for a picatinny rail, red dot and some aftermarket choke tubes. I did add a Limbsaver recoil pad as I just did to my 500.

That's it for now. Another hobby to throw $$$ at...LOL. And the shotgun guys at the club are trying to get me to shoot 5 Stand with them now...

I shoot in the tac-limited division and run a 930 SPX with an 18" barrel. I really don't see the benefit of a longer barrel for the distances we are shooting. The only mods I have done so far is a GG&G hi vis follower, a Brownells ext. safety and added a rail to the forearm for a Magpul AFG. UPDATE - I have also put a Matchsaver on the side. It has saved my butt a couple of times.

The only other mod I am looking at is an extended mag tube from Nordic. I am just trying to decide if I want to go 9 or 10 rounds. I am also going to shorten the stock 1.5" or so.

My AR is a 14.5" pinned to 16" franken gun set up as my HD/SHTF gun. It is loosely patterned after the Rainer arms RUC. It has been 100% and is very accurate. Once again I can see no reason for a longer barrel for the distances we shoot and the shorter barrel help me maneuver faster than those with 18/20"ers. I do get some looks when I break it out though. I think I am the only one that runs a light on his 3gun. Lol

And my pistol is a stock Glock 19, UPDATE - I've switched over to a Glock 17 and put a red fiber site on it and a Glockmeister 3.5lbs trigger assembly in it as well as an extended mag and slide release.

du9une3a.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

M&P40 Pro Series with Apex FSS & Apex RAM/NTAC holster & mag pouches
-OR-
Walther PPQ-FE 9mm/Raven Concealment holster & mag pouches

Franken-gun BCM lightweight middy upper + Troy VTAC 13" handguard on a Noveske FFL Gen2 lower with Vltor A5 buffer, battlecomp 1.0, 60 STS selector, lots of other goodies. Burris TAC-30 1-4x optic and angled iron sights.
^ doubles as my personal defense carbine.

Mossberg 930 Rhythm... I plan on getting a replacement barrel 22" barrel and 9 rd mag tube for 3-gun vs. skeet. For skeet I'll use the Rhythm 28" VR barrel and 12+1 capacity.

Question: Does anybody know if you can order the barrel and mag tube from the Jerry Miculek Pro Series?

You mean like this?
Yes and yes. I did.
Also added a Briley extended Light Modified choke tube

Attachments

• Mossy 930.JPG
    Mossy 930.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 589
Heck yeah. That is exactly what I am talking about. Very nice!

Glad you posted that too. I was thinking the +3 extension was the component I needed to order.

Back