• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Do you believe voting is a DUTY?

Tom396

.30-06
Those of us living in America have a great deal of rights and privileges. One such privilege is to not vote. You can simply wash your hands of the whole process and state that you can't stand any of the voting options available to you and simply stay home on election days. Many folks do that, too (the majority?).

How important do you think it is to cast your vote? How important do you think it is to do a little checking to see what or who it is you are voting for/against? Do you think it is a duty, not to be taken lightly? Personally, I vote when I'm given that option and I try to do some research on my own first. I've had the privilege to serve in the armed forces and visit a few places where voting is not an option. No matter how bad it gets, I have no intention of not at least placing my one vote. Other options? Take care. Tom Worthington.

I believe voting is an earned right. I haven’t liked the choices for a while now but I don’t just throw my hands up, I simply write in who I think should be president. I don’t think I would except being told it was my duty, but rather a right that if not used could go away.....

oli700 said:
I don’t just throw my hands up, I simply write in who I think should be president.

I definitely respect that course of action. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Yes, I believe that voting is a duty. I pay my taxes and it is more than likely the only time I will be able to represent myself politically as I do not dine nor drink with any politicians :).

Yes...I fully believe that it is a duty to vote !!

Most of the people on this globe don't enjoy that right...and have died trying to secure said right.

Why more people in the United States don't exercise this right is beyond me...it is an essential building block of freedom...and men and women in the US Armed Services around the world risk their lives everyday so we can enjoy this freedom.

I cannot believe that anybody who has interacted with the general population for any length of time disputes the given percentage of Americans who vote and those who don't. Break that number further down to the Obama victory in '08...and I'm not exactly encouraging people (anymore) that it's their 'duty' to do anything based on that voting bloc alone or certainly the one before it. :roll:

Given the above...on one hand, you're running into well over 75% of the folks out there on a daily basis without a clue in the world as to where they are or how we all got here.
On the other, you've got so called 'Republicans', 'Independents' and 'Conservatives' about to (anonymously) cast their votes for Obama simply because they believe that he's the best bet to keep whatever check they have presently coming...keep coming the longest.

None of the candidates believe in shared sacrifice or any 'duty' to vote for anything remotely resembling same to get us all out of this mess. Given that and the fact that most on the right have a history of 'duty' voting themselves the best deal possible while giving their children/grandchildren the shaft...I'll pass on encouraging anybody to vote for any reason if they haven't figured it out for themselves by now. ;)

I would add that if one feels it their 'duty' to vote...please vote in a manner that lends credence to the definition itself.

This next election will not be lost by those voting their conscience...it will be lost by those on (cough) 'our' side turncoat voting for a somehow 'entitled' check in the mail of some sort while crapping on their kid's and grandkid's futures at the same time.

We're broke and those responsible (take your age and subtract 18 years) are hoping that our kids/grandkids didn't learn enough from the crap education that we forced upon them to figure this out and stop the present fiscal run on their futures (ie. any talk of across the board shared sacrifice by either party..period).

Yes!!

Many have fought, many have died and many more will continue to risk their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms and rights that we now have. I feel that I'm doing a disservice to my country if I fail to exercise those rights that have come at such a high cost. We have a duty to exercise and preserve the rights that we have.

As a side note: A while back in a neighboring city a woman ran for School Board and lost because she received zero votes. She didn't even have the wherewithall to vote for herself!! Nor did any of her friends or relatives vote for her. I'm thankfull that this person didn't win, that's not the kind of person that should have a roll in government (IMHO).

(LINK to prove I'm not making this up)

Back