• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Does anybody know what size one-way screwdriver is needed to remove the safety screw?

Way back in January I bought a NDZ Performance replacement safety switch for my Mossberg 590 Shockwave. Long, painful story short, the online instructions provided regarding how to easily remove the one-way screw didn't work, nor did any additional instructions that I looked up, so I eventually gave up on it altogether because I was disgusted and sick of struggling with it.

Fast Forward to a few days ago when I was cleaning out a drawer to rediscover the replacement safety switch, still in its packaging, and decided to give it another go, but this time I wish to simply get it over with without any fuss, so I want to buy a proper one-way screwdriver to just easily remove it. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any accurate information regarding what is the appropriate size one-way screwdriver. I saw a few folks saying that it was a size 6-8 one-way screwdriver, but unfortunately I can confirm that this is incorrect because I bought one in size 6-8 and it's too big.

So yeah, I'd appreciate it if anyone who might know for certain could inform me. I don't care how long it takes to get a response, so if anyone knows, please respond, because even if it takes years at least it might help someone.

Oh, and please no alternative methods. Believe me, I've tried them all (short of the destructive ones) and none of them have worked for me. So I'm not interested in trying any more of those, I just want a simple, straight, and above all else accurate response to the question at hand.

Thanks in advance.

There is a set of extractors made by Ryobi, photo attached, that will remove one way screws. However, these work best when the screw head is standing proud above the surface. Not sure if they will work on a recessed screw like on your safety.

Here how I've done this before. Simply tape around the safety lever and given it's plastic simply break it using a small flat blade screwdriver. It will typically break around the screw. You just want to catch the detent ball. Once it's broken in half a pair of pliers can easly remove the screw. Couple of minute job.

Hope this helps.

Regards
ryobi-specialty-drill-bits-ar2016g-64_1000.jpg

How do I break it exactly? Should I stick the screwdriver beneath the safety then pry it upwards or what?

I've avoided simply breaking the safety until now because I'm really not sure how to do it in an easy way that won't scratch the finish or send the ball detent spring into orbit.

Use masking tape to protect the receiver all around the safety button.

Use a pair of pliers to grip the safety button as close to one end as possible and twist. The button will break right at the screw hole, then you can remove both halves. Be careful not to lose the little ball bearing and spring that serves as a detent right behind the button.

Now the screw will be exposed so you can take it out with the pliers.

When you go to install the new safety & screw, use a dab of grease to keep the ball bearing in place on top of the spring. Otherwise, it's a bit like trying to herd cats.

If you're unsure of this method you might try the folliwing.

Take a dremel or air grinder and grind a flat bladed screwdtiver slot into the screw head. You should be able to unscrew it without issues. You will damage the plastic safety lever but it's a throw away.

As indicated above be careful to retain the detent ball and spring.

Regards

I don't own a Dremel tool or anything of the sort. I'm asking what would be the optimal method of removing the safety with minimal risk of damaging the finish using simple tools like a screwdriver and pliers.

Try this. Use a flat bladed screwdriver the same blade width as the screw head. Take a couple of pieces of masking tape and put over the screw head. Using adequate down force pressure you should be able to be able to get the screw to turn.

Alternatively, as Pawpaw described above. Mask off completely around the safety. Using a small flat bladed screwdriver with tape over the blade slide it under one end of the plastic safety. If you can't get enough pressure to break it use a second screwdriver on the other end. Prying up gently should break the safety at its weakest point around the screw.

That said, Mossberg shotguns have operated for decades with their original safety levers. If it's not broken why fix it?

If your worried about damage take it to a gunsmith. They can replace the safety in a few minutes. Good luck!

Regards

I already tried the masking tape trick, didn't work. At this point breaking it seems like the best option available.

As for why I would replace it if it works fine is because it's stiff and I gouged it around the screw head during previous attempts at removing it and it has become jagged around the edges as a result, so disengaged/reengaging it isn't easy or comfortable, so I would prefer a smoother safety.

In hindsight, I wish that I had left it alone, but internet mouth-breathers had me convinced that it was a brittle part which would surely fail at the worst possible time, and how it was so cheaply/easily replaced that I figured "Why not?" and bought an NDZ Performance Aluminum Safety for $12 online. Unfortunately, it has been an absolutely miserable experience which I could undo.

At this point I just want to get it over with, but I wish that I could just unscrew the darn thing because I already have enough regrets and would hate to add another by scratching the finish trying to get it off, and considering I've had nothing but bad luck with it so far I'm hesitant to take any further action.

Ideally, I would like to just buy a proper tool to remove it, but I can't find any information on what size part is required to remove the infernal screw, nor can I even be sure if it would work anymore considering just how boogered up the screw head is from previous failed attempts to get it loose.

The only thing more evil than that screw is the lawyer who convinced Mossberg that a standard screw was somehow a liability.

Given that it's already messed up I'd try using a small sharp chisel and see if you can get it to turn. If not, you might use a piece of a hacksaw blade to cut a slot lengthwise to create a flat blade screwdriver slot like suggested above.

Alternatively break the sucker!

Any friends with a dremel? Would take less than a minute to cut a screwdriver slot.

Good luck.

Regards

Back