• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dont forget about the buffer pad and guide rod

BowerR64

.270 WIN
The buffer pad is the T shaped block that sits in the back of the receiver. Its there to cushion the bolt when it fires a fairly hot load. The bolt comes back a little harder then normal and the 2 wings on the back of the bolt bounce off that "pad" in this gun its just a plastic T shape block. Other guns its rubber, or even a plastic disk with a spring behind it. I think some real type ARs have the disk and spring behind the bolt.

Anyway, dont forget to put this in correctly, if its not in right it may cause issues with the bolt not comming back fully and stove piping the spent shell.

Ive marked the images in red where the bolt makes contact on the buffer pad to help you figure out how it sits in the receiver. Yours may have dents in it already mine does. The bolt has hit hard enough to mark it a little. The yellow T is the top that the top part of the block that sits ontop the trigger housing.

Also in the second image i have pictures of the guide rod. This rides inside the bolt spring and it guides the back of the bolt so that it moves back and forth in the receiver square and doesnt bind or rub on the walls of the receiver. The front of the bolt rides in the black plate that also helps kick the spent shell out. The plate guides the front, the guide rod guides the back of the bolt.

The head of the guide rod goes into the hole on the inside of the receiver.

If you search my name, search past posts or all my posts for other images of the inside if you need more detailed images on how the receiver parts fit into the receiver.

Bufferpad_zpsf7d550e3.jpg

Guiderod_zps860935fb.jpg

When i put the bolt back in i put the head of the guide rod into the hole first, i let the spring bend a little. Then i push the spring into the bolt and slowly drop the back of the bolt in as im compressing the spring around the guide rod. As its compressing i lower in the front till the breech face goes down into the receiver. Just before the bolt is all the way down into the receiver i put the charge handle in on the extractor side and then drop the bolt all the way down in ontop the charge handel.

Then you have to pull the charge hande all the way back as you insert the trigger housing.

Im pretty sure i have it back together correctly..because i read if the buffer pad is not in correctly,that rear pin wont go back in.am i correct?
Or is there still a wrong way to put it in?
Because my pin went back in without any issues when i reassembled it after cleaning..
Could the buffer pad be VERY lightly sanded down to shorten it just a hair? If i were to do that, would it be a good thing or a bad thing?
Ill have to take it apart in alil bit after i finish typing this to see what i might have done wrong.. Hopefully i didnt screw it up somehow.
Thank you sir for your pics and info..

You could lose it and not think it goes to the gun since it falls out. Mine fell out because its dark inside the receiver housing and i turned it over and i heard a part fall and i was like WHAT WAS THAT! :?

I think your right though it may not fit in any other way.

The guide rod maybe the same way but ive had it not fit into the little hole before and that may cause the bolt not to come back all the way till it drops in.

I dont think it will hurt anything to sand on it but i dont think you need to.

The only sanding i did was to mimick wear. The parts i felt were rubbing i just lightly sanded them with 800-1200 as if i had shot 3-400 rounds threw it. Wich shooting a bunch of rounds threw it will do the same thing but it can be a pain and you can give up quickly and just say the gun is defective. I kinda skipped all that.

Back