• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Door bar for the front door?

Tom396

.30-06
th

Something like this ^^^

Ever install something like this? They seem like a great idea. How do you find a stud or the frame of the door or something else solid enough to screw into? I'm thinking that between something like this, and the security storm door I already have, it would be easier to break in through one of my walls. Take care. Tom Worthington

Problem with that Tom is even if you find studs to screw into it is at the HEIGHT where you can still kick it in like a dead bolt.

Look into a slide bolt and mount it on the top of the door. Very hard to get any leverage up high. JMO

,,,,and besides ,by the time they get through your storm door you will have gotten them with your mav88.;)

My Dad made one similar to that from a pressure treated 2x6 that he put on the inside of the car port door, which was one of the access points to gain entry to the house that needed the extra attention.

The door was under a car port, could not be seen from the road or driveway, etc, so he made a frame on the studs that the 2x6 would slide through.

As for finding studs, the door frame should have studs going up each side of it, and across the top.

While trailer manufacturers are not well known for having studs in the correct places, the standard measurement to put a stud is either on 16 inch centers or 24 inch centers.

As long as you have another escape option and/or it is not locked in place it may be ok. Last thing you want is to get locked in if you have a fire, etc.

That's the hard part :p

But really most of the break ins around here are during the day when people are at work.

Last edited:
Back