• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Door breacher barrel mod

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
Some shotguns have barrels that seem to be one with a breaching device...
Some have a "choke breachers / stand-offs"...
and.. i think there are "clamp-on" breachers / stand-offs ?

i saw this in a video and it looks like some external mod ?
Anyway, i am thinking of getting a external / clamp on.. or a homemade breacher / stand-off :D that can be added when needed.
If someone knows anything about this subject, please tell me more :) Thanks

breachermod.PNG

Last edited:
It's just that I have seen light mounts walking all over the barrel regardless of how tight you clamp it down.

Fellmann, certainly today there are breacher barrels available.

Decades ago before the advent of dedicated barrels we took conventional barrels cut to whatever length we wanted and drilled a series of holes in the forward 3 inches or so of the barrel to allow the gas to escape. Many of the newer barrels have sharp teeth to allow the operator to get a purchase on the doorway wood around the lock or hinge. Years ago we never used this. Just held the barrrel in the general proximity of the lock and fire.

They've now developed newer breaching rounds to reduce collateral damage inside the room but years ago we used regular birdshot which took care of 99 % of the locks on both wooden and steel doors. Hinges are tougher if you need to go in that direction. If you really need to attack heavy hinges on steel doors better to simply blow them. But that's a different story.

Normally the "door kicked" would shoot the lock at a 45 degree angle both away from the lock and down from above. Once shot he reverse kicks the door open and rotate away from the open doorway as the first two shooters enter. Think this is still current tactics but others with more recent experience can chime in.

If you're doing a DIY barrel today I'd simply take an old cut down barrel and use a drill press to drill 1/4 or 3/8 inch holes in the first couple of inches. Then try it out. If you're still getting excessive blowback drill a few more holes to allow the gas to dissipate.

Agree with John regarding the non use of clamp on. However, you could build breaching device and braze it to an old barrel.

Good luck.

Regards

If you have a choke compatible barrel they make extended breaching "chokes" that would screw in.

The first pic is of a 500 breaching barrel that quickly sold on debayUS last week for $200. Second pic is one that I "made" as a joke--it is just a hole saw at the end of a standard 18" barrel. :) BUT I have considered actually making one like that. ;) If I did, the center hole would have to be enlarged to fit over the barrel and the hole saw welded in place--that is the only way I would trust it not to fly off (ie: clamp-on).

breacherbarrel.png breachsaw.jpg

PS: quick search found this--note that it is just a clip, not a link...

breachchoke.JPG

Last edited:
This is fascinating content.

I think there is a Mossberg "Thunder Ranch" shotgun with a Breaching Barrel as standard. Pretty cool setup because it (supposedly) doesn't affect normal shooting. But the sights are a bit funky.

Great thread. Thanks fellas!!!!!

Back