• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dreaded stiff safety.....

Is the hogue stock fde tan? I've been looking for one, but can't find one that isn't being sold in a set.

I'll share a picture of a handguard that I have grown quite fond of. I never expected that I would like it as much as I have, but it's grown on me.

I bought an Ergo railed forend years ago when they were first coming out. While it was handy to use with a front grip, I have fell in love with how the magpul angled grip on the bottom and magpul textured rail covers are on the sides.

Dang if it don't fit my hand like they were made for each other.

I'm not knocking the magpul handguard and I like it good too, but I do admit that the other handguard just feels nearly perfect for me.

qyKhoNR.jpg
No, the Hogue is plain ol' black. It had a ding in the right side so I stuck a QD on it that I had laying about. I ordered a 590A1 with that hand guard, I waited for a year then cancelled. I have an AFG on my M4gery (Knights M4RAS), really dig it. I think I still have an Mlok AFG in the stash, might try it on the Mossy.

I replaced the safety with an NDZ before shooting the first time. Did not have the stiff safety syndrome. The tamperproof screw securing the factory safety was real easy to remove.

Thanks for posting this. Just picked up a Shockwave. Got home, pushed the safety forward..seemed tight. Pulled it back..still tight. And that’s where it stopped. It won’t budge after only one back-and-forth. I planned on changing the safety, so if that was the only issue I’d be fine.
But..I started cycling the action and it was extremely sticky. Sometimes I’d have to shove it forward with a lot of force. Each cycle would put large streaks of black oil along the magazine tube. After 15-20 cycles it got a little better, but would still stick going forward. After wiping it down I noticed the black finish on the right action bar was already worn off to silver. Also there are lines along the right side of the magazine tube where the Cerakote is already worn down to silver.
Contacted Mossberg who sent a return label to have it “evaluated”. They say it’ll take 6-8 weeks for turn around. Sucks to have something for 1 day, then have to ship it out for 1-2 months.

Sucks to have something for 1 day, then have to ship it out for 1-2 months.

I'm not a fan of "breaking" in a gun. I prefer disassembly, smoothing sharp edges, cleaning grit out, lubing wear areas giving it a good once over. I like to call it "easing" in a gun. Plus it helps you get familiar with the inner workings--if you understand how something works, you'll better understand why it DOESN'T work... ;)

BTW, Welcome Aboard Hal! :)

Thanks for posting this. Just picked up a Shockwave. Got home, pushed the safety forward..seemed tight. Pulled it back..still tight. And that’s where it stopped. It won’t budge after only one back-and-forth. I planned on changing the safety, so if that was the only issue I’d be fine.
But..I started cycling the action and it was extremely sticky. Sometimes I’d have to shove it forward with a lot of force. Each cycle would put large streaks of black oil along the magazine tube. After 15-20 cycles it got a little better, but would still stick going forward. After wiping it down I noticed the black finish on the right action bar was already worn off to silver. Also there are lines along the right side of the magazine tube where the Cerakote is already worn down to silver.
Contacted Mossberg who sent a return label to have it “evaluated”. They say it’ll take 6-8 weeks for turn around. Sucks to have something for 1 day, then have to ship it out for 1-2 months.

Regarding the finish on the action bars. That's normal use wear on guns that are work guns not trophy case guns. After you run several hundred rounds through the gun the finish on your lifter and extractor will also be worn off also. In fact, many folks initially remove all the finish on the lifter, cartridge stop, and extractor betore firing the first round.

Bobster gave you excellent advice. Take your new gun apart an inspect all the parts. You will find manufacturing and shipping residue inside. Look for sharp edges and once totally clean lube it well and cycle the action several times to insure it functions correctly.

Worn finish is love marks and shows you're using the gun as it should be used.

Regarding the safety. Suspect the ball is out of place or some manufacturing debris. If you don't want to return the gun to Mossberg simply pull the screw and clean and reseat the spring and ball detent. Usually a good screw driver with several layers of tape will remove the screw without issues. Trip to hardware store and you can get an allen head bolt to replace it.

Good luck and welcome.

Regards

Sincere thanks to the both of you for the welcome and the advice.

I’m not going to send it back. I’ll break it down completely and get it set up properly.

To be honest I didn’t even want the FDE finish to begin with. Certainly didn’t want to pay more for it. I’ll only buy from local shops and Shockwaves have been extremely scarce here. After waiting 6 months for one to show up, I had to pass on the first. It was FDE and dealer wanted $600. It sold in 2 days at that price. Thankfully another dealer got one a few weeks later and though it was also FDE, the dealer was asking well below MSRP of the blued version. Figured that was good enough.

Thanks again!

Sincere thanks to the both of you for the welcome and the advice.

I’m not going to send it back. I’ll break it down completely and get it set up properly.

To be honest I didn’t even want the FDE finish to begin with. Certainly didn’t want to pay more for it. I’ll only buy from local shops and Shockwaves have been extremely scarce here. After waiting 6 months for one to show up, I had to pass on the first. It was FDE and dealer wanted $600. It sold in 2 days at that price. Thankfully another dealer got one a few weeks later and though it was also FDE, the dealer was asking well below MSRP of the blued version. Figured that was good enough.

Thanks again!

Again good luck. There's several of us who have been running Shockwaves since they first came out and folks on this forum are always willing to help. There are also some informative threads in the Shockwave section you might want to read.

But don't hesitate to ask questions. Think you'll find the Shockwave enjoyable whether you use it as a range gun or a work gun. My recommendation - before you start modifying the gun put 4 to 5 hundred rounds through it. You will then have an appreciation as to what you want to change, if anything . Given the short length it's easy to affect the balance point which will impact your pointing and tracking ability. Check the balance point of your new gun a try to keep it as neutral as possible as you add future mods. Many of us run the gun essentially stock other than adding a shell holder and turning the forearm strap around so the strap ends don't dig into your hand.

Regards

Regarding the safety. Suspect the ball is out of place or some manufacturing debris. If you don't want to return the gun to Mossberg simply pull the screw and clean and reseat the spring and ball detent. Usually a good screw driver with several layers of tape will remove the screw without issues. Trip to hardware store and you can get an allen head bolt to replace it.

Regards
I had both. Also, the screw was not real tight so it came out easily with a gunsmith's screwdriver and normal pressure. I suspect the loose screw allowed the ball to abandon it's gritty home.

Back