• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dress for Success

bob2231

OK,I've always heard that it's easier to sell a furnished house than an empty one.Even if it's cheap,ugly furniture.So just to give people interested in an ATR an idea of what the rifle can look like,rather than the naked example at WalMart,I put a low dollar clamp on bi-pod,and a "Famous Maker",inexpensive scope on my .270 to show it in cheap,tactical condition.
The scope was around $40,3-9x40 w/mil-dot reticle.Low bucks,but it held up fine on my Enfield that I "sportered".I may post a picture of that,if anyone is interested in what can be done without a professional gunsmith having all the fun.
The bi-pod was right around $20,and is a universal clamp-on.I decided to put a couple layers of black electrical tape on the inside "contact" surfaces to eliminate scratching barrels as it's being installed.The legs have 6" of height adjust-ability,pretty common.The only modification I did was replace the springs to tighten up the action of the releases.That made it much more stable.
The sling was also cheap,but it works well.Not a lot of padding on the shoulder patch,but the ATR isn't heavy so it never comes close to cutting in.
So,there's a tactical accessory kit for $75.Everything works fine,though I'm sure that service life won't compare to most of the more expensive name brand components.On the other hand,I've read quite a bit about expensive equipment dying young lately and for what shipping charges would be to send a piece in for repair,I can replace my stuff with new.
That's building on a budget.
Bob
By the way,I don't know what the kid got on that wall,but she'll be pretty busy during her spring break this week.

Attachments

• DCP01331.JPG
    DCP01331.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 553
  • Bi-pod.JPG
    Bi-pod.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 552
  • DCP01327.JPG
    DCP01327.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 552
  • 3-9x40 Scope.JPG
    3-9x40 Scope.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 552
  • Upright.JPG
    Upright.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 552
  • Profile.JPG
    Profile.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 552
That sure is a lot of bang for your buck. Let us know how you like the setup after throwing some lead down range.

dude, that bi-pod is no good for a free floating barrel.... it'll drastically screw with the point of impact in the scope. you need a bipod that mount to the bottom of the stock. if you have a free floating bbl in any rifle, you dont want anything touching, or putting any pressure on the bbl anywhere....

I had an H&R that I used one of these style bi-pods on and it didn't bother the accuracy one bit. Certain guns I know it will, but not every rifle is the same.

I must say though, the forend on Single shots touch the barrel too, so maybe the bi-pod reversed the effect

Back