• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"Econo Can" Oil Filter Suppressor

Kind of reminds me of the Red Green quote...

"If they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

ECONO CAN

Sounds like it cost $75 plus the Tax stamp and filter of your choice.

Obviously NFA rules apply to the purchace or use of Suppressors

Interesting, it's sold on their other web site as just a way to collect solvents when cleaning your AR.

Maybe one ND later and an idea was born. LOL

Interesting concept. Not sure it would be worth the $350+ NFA trust + $200 Tax Stamp and $55 price take to make it happen.

MikeD said:
Interesting, it's sold on their other web site as just a way to collect solvents when cleaning your AR.

Maybe one ND later and an idea was born. LOL

Interesting concept. Not sure it would be worth the $350+ NFA trust + $200 Tax Stamp and $55 price take to make it happen.
I'm not aware of the extra money you mention($350+NFA Trust) Please explain.
Thanks

Here in MI you have two options when buying NFA items

1. LEO signoff on each and every item

2. Create an NFA trust. This option allows you to by pass LEO signoff and allows items to be shared, passed on, etc. The cheapest I've seen it locally was via a Lawyer I know who was offering a deal of $350. (this is the route most people I know take.)

This has fail written all over it.

Just like a few years ago the guy selling thread adapters for pop bottles. You don't see them any more either.

The legal definition of a silencer is anything that is used to muffle the sound of a shot is a silencer.

The thread adapter part that he is registering as a silencer, is not going to suppress the sound therefore, technically could not be classified (legally) as a silencer even though he is treating it as such and by doing so, he is putting numerous legitimate silencer manufacturer thread adapters and any other barrel attachment in legal peril.

Each and every individual component used in a silencer to muffle the report is a part of that silencer and cannot be replaced or repaired except by licensed manufacturers. The only exception that I know of is a wipe. Which is very old school technology and is a solid piece of rubber that fits inside the silencer tube body at the end that the bullet passes through. An oil filter is much more than a solid piece of round rubber and there is no way that will continue to pass the scrutiny of tech branch for long.

Coincidentally, wipes are well known in the silencer community to cause for a very innacurrate gun. And I'm not even going to discuss exactly how in the hell this guy is going to use any type of sights other than "instinctive shooting" which is nothing more than a wild guess.

Also, silencer owners cannot have any spare parts, and cannot repair their own silencers.

So, if the buyer ever threads an oil filter onto this thread adapter, or uses another oil filter than the one that came on it (if it does in fact come with an oil filter) or even possess an oil filter that will thread to this adapter, it will be considered as more than 1 silencer and thus, the owner will be in violation.

Trust me, you don't want any part of this train wreck. If you are wanting a silencer, by all means, buy a real one, but this one is not it. This is worse than shade tree.

Just for the sake of conversation, let's say you theoretically (illegally) did screw an oil filter onto this thread adapter and thus made a silencer, how long do you think this is going to last before the muzzle blast and heat and lead build up kills it? You gonna get your money's worth out of the paper media before it catches on fire :lol: Because you can't just replace the oil filter when it does wear out. Legally, only licensed manufacturers can do that.

And just look at all the things you're physically shooting through.

This is double face palm stupid.

EAO_ExplodedFilter_900px.jpg

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of the specifics regarding each part of a suppressor. Makes sense.

I was a little concerned when they showed how the first shot is what makes the hole in the end. All kinds of bad could happen.

People will buy it and then end up being out their $255+ when its approval status gets revoked. Anyone remember the Akins Accelerator?

MikeD said:
People will buy it and then end up being out their $255+ when its approval status gets revoked. Anyone remember the Akins Accelerator?

Yes I can remember the Akins accelerator.

One of the obvious things wrong with this particular setup is with any silencer is you can't add to it.

You can't add length to a silencer, you can't add new baffles to a silencer to make them quieter, I don't know what they were thinking by adding an oil filter (to act as a silencer) to the part that is a registered silencer (the thread adapter).

That is begging for trouble and yet sadly, a lot of people will fall prey to it because they don't understand how the law is written. They'll think that just because they paid a form 4 transfer and "own a silencer" they'll be able to do what they want with it, and it just doesn't work that way.

If it doesn't come with an oil filter already installed on it when you buy it from the manufacturer, then legally, you can't put one on it after the fact.

Doing so makes a new silencer and requires a form 1 making tax.

And when (not if) it wears out, you cannot just take the old oil filter off and put a new one on. Again, that is making a new silencer and $200 making tax is required, or you'll have to send it to a licensed manufacturer who is exempt from paying another tax because they're licensed manufacturers.

I'm sure there are a lot of yahoo's that are going to do just that because they don't know any better, but I've never heard a case in court being dismissed because of ignorance.

If the company making these supplied them with an oil filter attached when you got it, you could use it to suppress the sound of the shot (even though it doesn't sound very quiet as it is), but when the oil can wore out (or caught fire and melted down in front of your very eyes), you'd have to send it to a licensed manufacturer for them to change it if it ever needed repaired or replaced because legally, you can't do that without a manufacturing license.

Like it or not, that's just how the law is.

Hmmmm !?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Solve ... 0793929%26

303 Stainless Oil Filter Adapter

Years of use!

CNC PRECISION MACHINED

Check out our feedback on Quality and Delivery!

MADE IN USA!

Hundreds Sold!!!!

Stainless oil filter adapter

Internal threads are 1/2-28. Outer threads are 13/16-16.

9/16-24 & 5/8-24 ID Threads in Stock Also

Just Specify with your order.

Weighs 40 grams. Hex is 1 inch, overall length is 7/8 inch.

Fits many,many different filters. Oil filter pictured not included.

No international shipping

Quality American Product....

FAST & FREE SHIPPING BY USPS

Orders placed by 12:00pm CST ships same day!!

Most people who buy these are not going to be concerned about the legality of owning/using it. I think that they will shoot a few times and put it away for a "rainy" day. When that rainy day comes, most laws will be forgotten and broken. I have oil filter adapters at work that I could machine inside threads into and use it. Of course, it wouldn't be for shooting...

Back