• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elderly father wants to carry

RedOBXT

.270 WIN
Supporter
Need some advice. My elderly father wants to buy and start carrying a handgun (he is afraid of ISIS). He hasn't shot a gun in 30 years and is hard of hearing. I am skeptical that he could learn the new training he'd need to be safe (kind of a when do you take the car keys away scenario).
If he is determined he will do it. At this point, I'm thinking a .22 revolver would be best for him.
Thoughts?

While I would say you're father has a much higher chance of running into a thug on the street, or being a victim of a home invasion, I can certainly understand how current world threats may worry people.

Without going off on a political tangent on who or what we should be afraid of ( I say F* that... since that's their purpose to begin with!), I don't think your father is too old to re-learn how to properly use a firearm for self defense. It's a matter of patience and training. I don't know how proficient you are with firearms, or how willing you are to teach your father, but CCW classes or basic self defense firearms courses are plentiful nowadays. Before going out and buying a gun, I would have him rent a few handguns at a local range or even borrow different types and calibers from friends if that's an option. Let him decide what he feels comfortable with, you may be surprised.

While a .22 revolver is certainly better than nothing, it wouldn't be my first choice as a self defense caliber. A classic .38 S&W is a huge step up from a .22 and has very manageable recoil. The pocket 9mm semi-auto's are usually quite snappy and not as easy to handle without practice, but also very manageable. I think you're on the right track with a revolver, as simplicity and ease of use are certainly pro's for wheel guns. That said, you are limited on rounds and reloads are a bit more difficult.

Take him out and try out some different firearms, then make a decision on what might be best for his level of skill and willingness to carry.

Need some advice. My elderly father wants to buy and start carrying a handgun (he is afraid of ISIS). He hasn't shot a gun in 30 years and is hard of hearing. I am skeptical that he could learn the new training he'd need to be safe (kind of a when do you take the car keys away scenario).
If he is determined he will do it. At this point, I'm thinking a .22 revolver would be best for him.
Thoughts?
Not much to add to what AK said except...how old is "elderly" and what kind of physical condition is he in? I know my ol' pa wouldn't have the awareness or cognitive agility to learn or re-learn that, at his age of 79. But, that's an individual thing.

Edit: I'm not even sure he could use his Winchester model 94 30-30 effectively anymore...he's packed that thing around for the last 40+ years.

And, good on ya for thinking it through and getting some perspectives.

^That is really good advice. Unfortunately, I live very far away from him. I'm traveling home for Xmas, so I'll be able to let him shoot my 930 and S&W 686, so he gets an idea of what he wants to handle. I also emphasized that my mom also needs to be trained and able to handle the gun.

He is 81, but very physically fit. But let me put it this way: I won't ride in a car while he is driving.
Mom is 80, I actually trust her more with a shotgun:)

He is 81, but very physically fit. But let me put it this way: I won't ride in a car while he is driving.
Mom is 80, I actually trust her more with a shotgun:)

Are you thinking every day concealed carry or more of home defense set up? Or dual role for that matter. If your parents are mostly home bodies and maybe go out for errands here and there a shotgun maybe better served. But as said above it's really personal preference. A Ruger GP 100 or SP 101 in .357 / 3" or 4" barrel is a good choice as well. A bit heavier to carry, can practice with .38 wad cutters and still throw in some more potent .38 Special or .357 mag. A 20 ga shotgun offers up good stopping power with a lot less recoil than a 12.

Heck, I'd venture to say that a trip out to the range, working on shooting fundamentals and good practices will get both your folks up and around (not just physically but mentally as well) and let them spend quality time together.

Again, good advice. My parents live in rural Ohio. I share my father's concern about home safety, but I really don't think he should carry.

Again, good advice. My parents live in rural Ohio. I share my father's concern about home safety, but I really don't think he should carry.
I like AK's idea about getting them out to the range. Then you'll get a good idea what they might be able to handle.

Also, AK's suggestion about the 20ga...that's a good one. Maybe instead of a carry weapon you could look at a shorty 20ga as a good truck gun and home defence weapon. That might be something that they can both handle.

Obviously it won't cover every aspect of security for them like a CCW...but it might be the best alternative.

Was just doing a little looking...check out Mossbergs SA-20. The semi-auto will take away from the felt recoil...nice shorty barrel on her too. No need to worry about short-shucking the slide either like on a pump. Might be a good one to check out if they're not familiar with pump action.

Edit: SA-20's are retailing up here for a little over $600...so will likely go for under $500 down south.

Was just doing a little looking...check out Mossbergs SA-20. The semi-auto will take away from the felt recoil...nice shorty barrel on her too. No need to worry about short-shucking the slide either like on a pump. Might be a good one to check out if they're not familiar with pump action.

Edit: SA-20's are retailing up here for a little over $600...so will likely go for under $500 down south.

I love Mossbergs... go figure... THAT SAID, I would be careful about running a semi auto as a home defense, mainly due to reliability and round specific sensitivity. I would have to run lots trouble free shells through it before I'd trust it to perform for life and limb.

I love Mossbergs... go figure... THAT SAID, I would be careful about running a semi auto as a home defense, mainly due to reliability and round specific sensitivity. I would have to run lots trouble free shells through it before I'd trust it to perform for life and limb.
Good advice!

I was just thinking ease of operation for them "elders". :)

since long guns are in the conversation
the AR15 is a weapon that fits all his HD need

easy to operate, manual of arms, very little recoil
light
devastating close quarters power
will not go through too many walls
many configuration choices to specialize for a task
many ammo choices that will do many jobs
versatile enough to be a survival weapon if need be

for a handgun it is damn hard to beat a 9mm these days ......so many high performance ammo choices
cheap to shoot , better for practice
very controllable , especially in a full size frame
plenty of capacity

the last thing I see being good here is heavy recoil......even 20g .

81 and in good shape is awesome but old joints are old joints.....imagine the amount of rounds its going to take for him to become proficient and safe....
training with shotguns will beat on you

Last edited:
KT PMR 30.

30 rounds of low recoiling 22mag in light pistol.

Just an option

While ALL very good suggestions above (an AR? ;)), I'm liking a Glock 19 as long as he can manipulate the slide--does Arthur Itus live with him? o_O Like baby bear said, not too big, not too small, not too hot, not too cold, not too hard, not too soft... :) 4" .38 is a good choice, as well. Can he still ride a bike? :D

While ALL very good suggestions above (an AR? ;)), I'm liking a Glock 19 as long as he can manipulate the slide--does Arthur Itus live with him? o_O Like baby bear said, not too big, not too small, not too hot, not too cold, not too hard, not too soft... :) 4" .38 is a good choice, as well. Can he still ride a bike? :D
He still skis, runs and bikes, even some light mountainbiking. His only problem is that he is quite deaf (hearing aids work for him).
But I have also mentioned to him that any gun he gets, my mother also needs to be able to use and train on, and she does have major joint issues. She wants a 20g pump action, which fits her:)

Back