• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elevator alteration to stop thumb decapitation?

carrot

Copper BB
I'm new to the 930 world and love it so far. I'm shooting the 28" waterfowl with the full camo dress.

My only observation so far is the pinching of the thumb by the elevator. Are there aftermarket elevators that will not do this. Is everyone just adding some material to it in the smith's shop?

I'd love to see what my options are. Thanks.

Welcome aboard.

There is no aftermarket replacement elevator that I am aware of, but as you said the common fix is simply welding additional material into the gap. The JM Pro models use the same elevator, but the back side of the forend is shorter which I can say from personal experience really makes a difference. It leaves more room for the loading hand to move freely and allows for a better angle into the mag tube...

Here you go...

Left: 930 JM Pro / Right: 930 Tactical

You should be able to clearly see how the bevel increases the size of the loading port and how the shortened forend really allows for greater access. Other than that, the elevator itself is unaltered...

Bend your thumb when you load the magazine. Your knuckle will sit against the lifter and push it up so the cutout doesn't eat your thumb. When I first got my 930 a few years back, I had the same issue but no longer. I had actually forgotten that this was a problem once for me until I saw this thread.

Find Southern Kentucky Tactical on Facebook. They will weld and polish yours for you. You can either send yours into them, or they can weld up a new one for you. If you send your's in, it's $45, if you buy one from them it's $65. (For the 930) I went ahead and ordered a new one from them since I didn't want my gun to be down for several weeks. That and if I decide to sell it, I can take it back to stock if need be.

https://www.facebook.com/skytactical

Find Southern Kentucky Tactical on Facebook. They will weld and polish yours for you. You can either send yours into them, or they can weld up a new one for you. If you send your's in, it's $45, if you buy one from them it's $65. (For the 930) I went ahead and ordered a new one from them since I didn't want my gun to be down for several weeks. That and if I decide to sell it, I can take it back to stock if need be.

https://www.facebook.com/skytactical
Now those look pretty nice...

Been talking back and forth with the owner of skytac for a few on Facebook. I liked the fact that they polished the lifter as well as welding it. They were the only ones I found that polished the Mossberg lifter. I really like mine. I'll post a pic once I get it back, I have my gun at the smith getting some other work done to it.

I've spoken with CJ from Skytac. His work looks excellent. I'm going to give one of his lifters a try as well as possibly beveling my loading port.

I finally got around to sending off my lifter to Skytac. Got it back today and installed it. Will be shooting it fairly soon, likely after the holidays. HMakes a huge difference when loading, especially with load 2's and quads. Really like the fact that CJ also polishes the lifter, the other guy that does them does not polish them. I even emailed him prior to finding Skytac and the other guy said he would not polish it. To me, it makes it load much smoother having it polished.

I received my lifters from CJ yesterday. I have to say they are VERY nice.

Will shoot with them installed this weekend and report back.

I thought the cutout on the front of the lifter was done at the advise of JM and Patrick Flannigan ?
Two of the fastest shooters in the world wanted that cutout ; so why would we want to weld a piece on there and defeat their wisdom ??

The factory JM Pro models have the cut-out.

His personal competition shotgun has a welded lifter. Stop the footage at 55 seconds in and there is a perfect view of his modified lifter...

Back