• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elevator alteration to stop thumb decapitation?

This....

found this :
"One of the concept guns built for Mossberg to study (which finally came to be the JM Tactical series shotgun) had a welded lifter amoung a few other things that they didn't incorporate in the "new " gun. They did get the trigger right however. The reasoning is that it doesn't make sense to have a different lifter for just one gun in a whole line of guns that use the same lifter. While it is relativly easy to do add on stuff, like Nordic and Hi-Vis it is darn hard to change a stamped piece of metal for just one limited line of guns. That would entail a whole new engineering study, a new die for the stamp, etc. "
Last edited: Today at 12:20 PM

I can't find anything close to resembling the wording there on any articles in print.....makes me think he just typed it up because of the spelling errors.

If it's on the web it must be true. LOL One mans opinion. OFM has many parts that are one gun specific, yes there is cost involved but it does happen.

If you are asking why they don't include a welded lifter with the gun, it's because 90% of the people who buy one won't want / need one. Ford could add a Cold Air Intake and a Magnaflow exsaust to all of there Mustangs, but 90% of the people who buy them won't need it or want it. Even the "specialized" guns like the JM Pro's are marketed towards the masses. Welded lifters, opening the loading ports more, adding over sized magazine releases, etc. All the things we do to our guns, we are the minority. Most shotgun owners will never reload a shotgun on the clock of a 3gun match, so they would see no benifit to a welded lifter, they may actually not like it.

Yeah, me too.

For the average shooter I'd call it overkill, but when you watch JM dump 23 rounds in 3.73 seconds out of his 930 w/X-rail it's easy to understand how that ginormous brake is actually useful for him...

It's possible, but the shorter barrel 930 models typically don't run on low recoil ammo. My 18" 930 Tactical usually chokes on anything under 1300fps...

Last night I was browsing SKYTac's new website. I couldn't decide whether I wanted the black or polished elevator, so I ordered both. :cool: I doubt I'll have any trouble finding a home for the one I decide not to use.

I also ordered the modified bolt release. I can't find any buttons that are set up to match it's 8-32 threads. What I've found are 4-32 or 5-32. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last night I was browsing SKYTac's new website. I couldn't decide whether I wanted the black or polished elevator, so I ordered both. :cool: I doubt I'll have any trouble finding a home for the one I decide not to use.

I also ordered the modified bolt release. I can't find any buttons that are set up to match it's 8-32 threads. What I've found are 4-32 or 5-32. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Pawpaw, thanks for your order. The stops actually come drilled and tapped for a 6-32. However I can tap them to whatever a customer would want. They where made to fit the button in the link below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...ack-eagle-super-black-eagle-ii-aluminum-black

Pawpaw, thanks for your order. The stops actually come drilled and tapped for a 6-32. However I can tap them to whatever a customer would want. They where made to fit the button in the link below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...ack-eagle-super-black-eagle-ii-aluminum-black

Congrats on launching the website CJ! I'll be placing an order for a black lifter very soon.
I did have some questions for you (and Pawpaw) on the modified bolt release. I looks like I could run the modified bolt release without an oversized button installed if I wanted to correct? Is the button stock height and just tapped to accept a larger button(s)?

Pawpaw, could you provide some info\links on some of the other buttons you found?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info CJ. I'll order that button. It's one of the ones I looked at, but your website seems to have an error:

Our Modified shell stops come pre drilled and tapped (8-32 Threads) for an oversized bolt release and are case hardened. The stop itself has also been modified to stop double feeds and stops the bolt from locking open on a full mag tube. These Shell stops or designed to improve reliability of your Mossberg 930. All sharp edges on the stop have been removed and the contact points are polished.

jnorthway, I didn't save any of the info. I just searched MidwayUSA & Brownells and also did a Google search. The picture of the button looks like a stock part with a hole drilled in it.

Jnotthway that is correct you can run it without the button and still get the benefit of the modified shell stop as well as having the opportunity to add a button later if you decide you want one.

Pawpaw, thank you for pointing that out to me, I'll get on there this afternoon and get that corrected.

CJ

I did not take long for me to tired of ripping my thumb when I loading mine. With all the extra stuff that Mossberg says that they put on the JM Pro and the Rhythm one would think that they would put the modified lifter on them.

Back