• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elevator alteration to stop thumb decapitation?

Here you go...

Left: 930 JM Pro / Right: 930 Tactical

You should be able to clearly see how the bevel increases the size of the loading port and how the shortened forend really allows for greater access. Other than that, the elevator itself is unaltered...
This one

I like that welded lifter. Gonna try that in mine, I've caught my thumb a few times.

I thought the cutout on the front of the lifter was done at the advise of JM and Patrick Flannigan ?
Two of the fastest shooters in the world wanted that cutout ; so why would we want to weld a piece on there and defeat their wisdom ??

There are two different "cutouts" being discussed.

1. The welded lifter removed the cutout in the lifter itself which is a "U" shaped wedge at the end. This is what catches your thumb if you are not careful.

2. The other is grinding a bit of the receiver off to round off the edges and allow a little more clearance around the port.

So did SKYtactical "open up" your port? If so, is that a common mod that folks mostly like, or maybe ALL like? Seems to make some sense to me..........

I opened up my own loading port. SktTac did my lifter and carrier latch. If you are going to load dueces or quads it is very common to open up the loading port. I had problems doing load 2's until I opened mine up.

I just used a flat file on the sides. I started the rounded area in the front with a dremel and a sanding wheel to get the general shape I wanted and then finished up with small hand files. The sanded everything down to polish it up when done.

I opened up my own loading port. SktTac did my lifter and carrier latch. If you are going to load dueces or quads it is very common to open up the loading port. I had problems doing load 2's until I opened mine up.

I just used a flat file on the sides. I started the rounded area in the front with a dremel and a sanding wheel to get the general shape I wanted and then finished up with small hand files. The sanded everything down to polish it up when done.

So you didn't actually "bend" anything, just grinded and sanded some metal away? And then left it untreated? (not questioning you, simply curious as to if that's ok).

And for us shotgun newbies.......what's a duece or quad? Loading more than 1 shell at a time, perhaps?

I filed and sanded material away to open up the loading port. Finished up by polishing it with finer and finer grits of sandpaper. It's aluminum so it's fine to leave untreated.

Dueces and quads are loading techniques we use in competition. I have a belt that goes around my stomach or chect that holds 28 rounds, and they are in rows of 2 in line. You grab 2 at a time and load them.

Quads are similar, but harder to do. The rounds are closer together on the quad belts and you grab 4 shells in your hand, loading 2 at a time.

The parts I ordered from Sky Tactical came in the mail today. Man that polished lifter is really slick. I like it better than the black one. Not to worry, I'll find a good home for the black one. ;) Both of them are professional quality. It is impossible to tell they weren't made that way originally.

I searched the web high and low and couldn't find any instructions for removing it, so I decided to dive right in. It turned out to be pretty easy & no tools are needed, although toothpick-thin fingers would have been helpful. There's one tiny little link pin that just wouldn't stay in place. In retrospect, a dab of grease would have held it in just fine.

I'll install the Shell Stop/Bolt release when I get around to opening up the loading port.

CJ - The Shell Stop/Bolt release page still says it has 8-32 threads! ;)

The parts I ordered from Sky Tactical came in the mail today. Man that polished lifter is really slick. I like it better than the black one. Not to worry, I'll find a good home for the black one. ;) Both of them are professional quality. It is impossible to tell they weren't made that way originally.

I searched the web high and low and couldn't find any instructions for removing it, so I decided to dive right in. It turned out to be pretty easy & no tools are needed, although toothpick-thin fingers would have been helpful. There's one tiny little link pin that just wouldn't stay in place. In retrospect, a dab of grease would have held it in just fine.

I'll install the Shell Stop/Bolt release when I get around to opening up the loading port.

CJ - The Shell Stop/Bolt release page still says it has 8-32 threads! ;)
how long did it take for yours to show up ?

Last edited:
I ordered them on the first and they shipped USPS on the 18th.

In fairness, they had tons of snow there, so that delayed things about a week. When I emailed CJ to ask about it, he replied quickly.

30737266656d1ed0fdbd07ceb4343b4f.jpg

I finally took one pic at the range today LES [emoji3]

Great to hear you like them pawpaw. I have saved it 20 times on the website and can't get it to change. The webmaster is working on it for me now.

Cj

Also, keep an eye on the website. I am working on getting it set up where you can buy any 930 replacement part you need. Springs, pins, forend retainers and such.

Cj

I need help guys....Just swapped my skytac welded lifter and I dont know if the lifter is crooked or I put it in wrong but it is leaning to the right side .... It was just pulling out one big pin and a tiny one that connected the lifter..... Im not sure if you guys can tell from the picture. ...
6ed10fb402283fd5a48ec42d1c9211d5.jpg

Back