• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

EMP VS UCII

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Does anyone have both of these 1911s to be able to compare them side by side?

I have two Kimbers sitting in my safe - my Ultra CDP II and my son's UCII.

Although both have proven themselves reliable enough for carry, I won't be buying another Kimber. Instead of paying for quality, you're really paying for "the look". I don't think MIM parts are as bad as some people like to make out, but they are not tool steel either. Kimber skimps in some other ways too. The one that really gets my goat is the plastic mainspring housing. I don't know of any other manufacturer who does that. Yes, there are reports of them cracking and leaving the pistol inoperative. It's quick and easy to change it out, but you shouldn't have to do that after paying Kimber's price.

Everyone I've communicated with loves their EMP, except for one guy in Houston that has had trouble with rust. He says he sweats a lot, but I'm sure other EMP owners do too.

Well, what I'm really going for is a size comparison.

I know a guy making holsters. He was wanting to make one for the UC II but can't find the blue gun for it and asked if I knew if the dimensions are the same. They aren't but are close so he's wondering if there is much difference in the contour of the slides. I have no idea so I came to you guys.

I apologize, I hadn't intended a philosophical debate between the two but if it goes that way, that's cool too! :)

For what it's worth, my mainspring housing is metal. But it's also 10 years old if that makes a difference. I dig it, I especially dig it because my very prudent wife didn't pay retail and after my own heart even got the guy to come down on the price listed. She did awesome!!!

Back